SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28   #21
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
No Christian has ever implied that Christmas was anything more than a celebration of the birth of Jesus.
You're either unaware or being intentionally dishonest. Christians have long made the claim that America is a Christian Nation and the fact that Christmas is a national holiday is proof of such. This is why Christians got seriously butt hurt when Religious Oriented Decorations were appropriately removed from public buildings and stores began saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Quote:
Why try to discredit Christmas and Christians at their holiest of all holidays?
Do you think it's funny or a joke?

What is it to you?
At its core Christmas is fairly sinister. It's indoctrination for children. They're taught about another mythical being (Santa) who is also watching them and if they're good (according to good old Christian values of course) then they are rewarded with toys and candy. But they're warned that if they're bad they get nothing. And all the while singing songs about little lord Jesus laying in a manger. At its core it's brain washing. It's sort of an indoctrination primer. Once the child is old enough you tell them "there is no such thing as Santa... but Jesus is real... we're super serious this time." And because children trust the adults in their life they go right along with it. After all... they've been so well rewarded for their obedience up till now right?

Quote:
You and others like you seem obsessed with something you claim you don't even believe in. Why is that?
Christmas anymore is a commercial holiday. It's good for the economy but I think bad for society. We see mom's beating each other over the head with hand bags in Toys R Us for the last tickle me elmo. You hear fathers shouting "If another one of y'all push my F-ing kids I'm gonna F-ing stab you!" It teaches people to be materialistic at the cut throat level while encouraging the worship of mythological characters from bronze age Fairy Tales. For a religion supposedly so much about peace and a lack of love for possessions... it sure creates and nice hypocrisy for itself within its adherents as a result of its celebrations.

Quote:
Christianity has brought hope, peace and joy
And death, and torture, and dread, and terror, and control, and ignorance, and fear, and hatred, and bigotry, and self hate, and shame, and intolerance, and war, and destruction, and a hindrance to progress.

It's done plenty of good but it's also done plenty of bad. I think we can find an idealism with a better good to bad production ratio.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-04-2012 at 01:31..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33   #22
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
And death, and torture, and dread, and terror, and control, and ignorance, and fear, and hatred, and bigotry, and self hate, and shame, and intolerance, and war, and destruction, and a hindrance to progress.

It's done plenty of good but it's also done plenty of bad. I think we can find an idealism with a better good to bad production ratio.
Do you think it could be said that religion as a whole has done far more harm than good? And that we'd have flying cars now if it wasn't for religion always holding us back?

Last edited by TK-421; 12-04-2012 at 01:33..
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49   #23
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Do you think it could be said that religion as a whole has done far more harm than good? And that we'd have flying cars now if it wasn't for religion always holding us back?
It's hard to say to be honest. There was a time man really needed religion. I mean if you look at ancient peoples. They were very barbaric and it was still a very "might makes right" type of world. Making a law that it was illegal to bash a man's head in so you could take his woman as your own wasn't gonna carry much weight with everyone. But if you create this mythical being that will punish you with fire and torment and there is no escape from this justice... that's a different story. It did bring order to very barbaric people. Forming nations and societies encourages community and from there some progress can be made. I think in our earliest days we might not have formed certain advancements as quickly as we did were it not for religion. Reading and language developed significantly because of religion. Basic math as well. However we reached a point in our advancement where the virtues of religion began to yield diminishing returns. The dark ages didn't get their name because they were happy and full of love. Man's progress began to slow as a result of religion. Early chemistry was considered witchcraft and a tool of the devil. Scientific discovery that ran counter to doctrine was punishable by a very slow and agonizing death. Hard to say if it has hurt us more than help us. I can say for sure that no other concept has resulted in more deaths on this planet than religion. And I am certain that in this modern age... it is hurting us more than helping us. Currently it is holding us back. However... I'm glad to see it losing its grip on us.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54   #24
TK-421

Quote:
It's hard to say to be honest. There was a time man really needed religion. I mean if you look at ancient peoples. They were very barbaric and it was still a very "might makes right" type of world. Making a law that it was illegal to bash a man's head in so you could take his woman as your own wasn't gonna carry much weight with everyone. But if you create this mythical being that will punish you with fire and torment and there is no escape from this justice... that's a different story. It did bring order to very barbaric people. Forming nations and societies encourages community and from there some progress can be made. I think in our earliest days we might not have formed certain advancements as quickly as we did were it not for religion. Reading and language developed significantly because of religion. Basic math as well. However we reached a point in our advancement where the virtues of religion began to yield diminishing returns. The dark ages didn't get their name because they were happy and full of love. Man's progress began to slow as a result of religion. Early chemistry was considered witchcraft and a tool of the devil. Scientific discovery that ran counter to doctrine was punishable by a very slow and agonizing death. Hard to say if it has hurt us more than help us. I can say for sure that no other concept has resulted in more deaths on this planet than religion. And I am certain that in this modern age... it is hurting us more than helping us. Currently it is holding us back. However... I'm glad to see it losing its grip on us.
So I guess you could say it's similar to most unions. Necessary at first, but long overdue to be done away with.

Granted, not all unions are evil, because not all corporations realize that a worker who is happy because his company likes him will work better than a worker who is happy because the union forces the company to keep the worker happy. But I've been far happier at my non-union jobs than I ever was at my union job.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34   #25
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

I find humor in the hypocrisy of christian traditions, like the people who protest their kid's school for calling something Halloween but still put up a Christmas tree in their home. (hijacked from the Druids).

Last edited by GreenDrake; 12-04-2012 at 07:34..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58   #26
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
just thought I'd enlighten some of the GT bible thumpers on here.

Look up Saturnalia first.

I'll let the other people on here elaborate further.
The fail is strong with this one.....

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15   #27
Comrade Bork

Just about every society has some sort of event to celebrate the winter solstice.

Xmas is just Christianity's version.
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34   #28
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
just thought I'd enlighten some of the GT bible thumpers on here.

Look up Saturnalia first.

I'll let the other people on here elaborate further.
Why does it bother you so much? What happened in your past to make you so bitter?

That would probably be a lot more interesting thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48   #29
Sharkey

Well I might argue that but I agree with OctoberRust in the present. Christ is rarely in Christmas today for most of society. As they say, "happy holidays you bunch of heathens".

Me, I'm old fashion and I'm still clinging to my guns and my Savior (which isn't O despite what Jamie might say)

Last edited by Sharkey; 12-04-2012 at 11:49..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52   #30
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Nobody knows the exact day that Jesus Christ was born.

I am a Christian, I celebrate Christmas, and I say Merry Christmas. I spread the gospel of Jesus Christ's atonement. Just don't slow down, and I often get the name calling of being an ole school guy.

Last edited by Glock30Eric; 12-04-2012 at 12:00..
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01   #31
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

While Christians do celebrate Jesus' birth at Christmas time, the holiday outside of Jesus is quite pagan. The Christmas tree with it's decorations is spoken against in the Bible, and is nothing other than a pagan asherah pole symbolizing a phallus, and the decorations...that's not very family friendly.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07   #32
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Well I might argue that but I agree with OctoberRust in the present. Christ is rarely in Christmas today for most of society. As they say, "happy holidays you bunch of heathens".

Me, I'm old fashion and I'm still clinging to my guns and my Savior (which isn't O despite what Jamie might say)
What do you think your savior would think about guns. Tools meant to kill.

If I had to guess I think he'd be sad that men felt they were necessary.

Or do you think Jesus would own a Glock?

Religious Issues

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-04-2012 at 12:09..
Old 12-04-2012, 13:12   #33
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
You're either unaware or being intentionally dishonest. Christians have long made the claim that America is a Christian Nation and the fact that Christmas is a national holiday is proof of such. This is why Christians got seriously butt hurt when Religious Oriented Decorations were appropriately removed from public buildings and stores began saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

At its core Christmas is fairly sinister. It's indoctrination for children. They're taught about another mythical being (Santa) who is also watching them and if they're good (according to good old Christian values of course) then they are rewarded with toys and candy. But they're warned that if they're bad they get nothing. And all the while singing songs about little lord Jesus laying in a manger. At its core it's brain washing. It's sort of an indoctrination primer. Once the child is old enough you tell them "there is no such thing as Santa... but Jesus is real... we're super serious this time." And because children trust the adults in their life they go right along with it. After all... they've been so well rewarded for their obedience up till now right?

Christmas anymore is a commercial holiday. It's good for the economy but I think bad for society. We see mom's beating each other over the head with hand bags in Toys R Us for the last tickle me elmo. You hear fathers shouting "If another one of y'all push my F-ing kids I'm gonna F-ing stab you!" It teaches people to be materialistic at the cut throat level while encouraging the worship of mythological characters from bronze age Fairy Tales. For a religion supposedly so much about peace and a lack of love for possessions... it sure creates and nice hypocrisy for itself within its adherents as a result of its celebrations.

Take it easy on JB, you know he runs strictly on emotion.

This is why I created this thread, I knew I wouldn't have time to articulate on the subject much, but I knew plenty others would save me the hassle of all that typing. Thanks!
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:13   #34
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Why does it bother you so much? What happened in your past to make you so bitter?

That would probably be a lot more interesting thread.

Misinformed people bother me. Be it those who are wrapped in Christian mythology, or liberals. They're both one in the same, living in Utopia. I come here to spread realism, no matter how much it sucks.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:49   #35
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post

And death and destruction, hopelessness and despair to millions as well. You can't leave that part out.
Can you explain how Christianity has brought death and destruction, hopelessness and despair to millions?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:08   #36
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Can you explain how Christianity has brought death and destruction, hopelessness and despair to millions?
Little thing called the dark ages. Ever heard of the ordeal by water? Witch hunts? Inquisitions? Crusades? Purifications? Ordeals by Fire? And so on and so on.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-04-2012, 14:09   #37
TK-421

Quote:
The dark ages, the inquisition, catholic priests with their alter boys, the nazi concentration camps, the list goes on and on.

Not to mention the age of scientific discovery when scientists were shunned by the church and excommunicated, because they were doing scientific things, and the church thought it was heresy to go against what the church said.

Last edited by TK-421; 12-04-2012 at 14:10..
Old 12-04-2012, 14:13   #38
tuica

Really? What's the first syllable in "Christmas?" Or am I missing something here? Cheers.

Last edited by tuica; 12-04-2012 at 14:14..
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:27   #39
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

The devil is strong in some of you.
No wonder you fear Christ and Christians so much.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:56   #40
Glock36shooter

Quote:
The devil is strong in some of you.
No wonder you fear Christ and Christians so much.
LOL so when confronted by some of the horrors your religion has caused... you accuse us of being in league with the devil.

Oh lawdy lawdy! Da damn Devul's done got me with his lies and his foozball!

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang: