SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:31   #1
Kentguy

Bought another Mora knife

Greetings,

Last year, at the recommendation of some friends and folks like yourselves, I purchased a Mora knife;

I have used this knife quite a bit over the last year and was so impressed by it's usefullness and quality that I ordered another one, it just came yesterday.

For an inexpensive, knife for general use camping or around where ever, you can't beat this little jewel!
Old 11-25-2012, 17:53   #2
bdcochran

Next step is to wrap the sheath in matching 550 cord.

Then, go to the drug store and pick up some rubberized woman's hair bands. Fold one double and attach the handle (scales) to the sheath and it will not fall out - ever.

No joke about the last paragraph. Many knife makers produce sheathes without snaps. So, even with a press fit sheath, it is possible to have a knife fall out, like if you are running.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 18:27   #3
dkf

Got one exactly like this the other day. I think I am going to remove the finger hook and round it off. I like the carbon steel blades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-J-ERIKSSON...vip=true&rt=nc
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17   #4
boomchakabowwow

I just gave my bro his. His eyes got huge when he tested it on paper. Mine is in my hunting pack. It will be the first knife I reach for when I get an animal down. I think my Mora is gonna be a game changer.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20   #5
boomchakabowwow

Funny I ordered a Companion and a Mil spec blade to compare them. They are the exact same knife.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39   #6
bdcochran

Moras

The "Robust" model is the one with the thicker tang.

You can buy a kydex sheath on ebay for the various Moras and turn the sheath into an inside the waist band sheath by watching the appropriate youtube video.

One of the features of the Moras is that they come very sharp from the factory.

The low end Moras ($10-15) are turned out as sharp as the other, more expensive models.

The basic difference between the high end and the low end is the use of wood scales/handles in the high priced models. It isn't the blade material. The Robust model is the lowest priced model - about $30 - to have a thicker tang.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:50   #7
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Love my Robust. But WTH is the deal with the peg on the outside of the sheath? It obviously snaps into the matching slot on the belt clip, but why? So you can stack 2 together all tactical like? Or is the idea to cut off the belt clip and reattach it to the other side and make a swivel sheath out of it?

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 13:47   #8
Kentguy

bdcochran,

I just got an order of 550 paracord in today, I saw this video and looks like a great idea, trying it later today.

Great idea for dressing up the plastic sheath.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57   #9
JFrame

I only have one Mora knife thus far (well -- several, but they're all just one model -- the old-style Swedish Army knife).

I have become a "value shopper" of knives lately, and am looking more and more toward the good ones with lower price points. In that spirit, I asked Santa for a Mora Bushcraft Forest MG knife.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:24   #10
Kentguy

JFrame,

Love this knife!
Old 12-01-2012, 17:43   #11
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Mine Robust is packed up with my backpacking gear. One of the best knives for the money.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:27   #12
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Kentguy -- Yup, I've heard nothing but good things about that knife...I hope Santa delivers.

--
Old 12-02-2012, 21:40   #13
Kentguy

JFrame,

I know him personally... I'll put in a good word for ya.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:44   #14
Kentguy

bdcochran,

I really tried to get the "RingBolt Hitch" to stay on the plastic sheath but no matter how tight I get it, it just keeps sliding off the bottom... followed the video to the letter.

Works great on the wooden dowel in the video - no taper to it.
Old 12-03-2012, 21:02   #15
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
JFrame,

I know him personally... I'll put in a good word for ya.

Cool -- that works for me! The Cutting Edge

--
Old 12-03-2012, 22:49   #16
bdcochran

I used a different method

I used a different method.

End of sheath to left.

Take the 550 cord and put the loose end of the cord starting at the bottom of the sheath and dangling down an inch or so. At the end of the wrapping you are going to pull on this end with pliers to sink the other end of the 550 cord under the wrapped cord.

Take the 550 cord the full length of the sheath and maybe an extra 1 1/2 inches above the opening.

Then take the 550 cord down the sheath back down to the point where you started. You now have a loop at the top. When you finish all of the wrap, you are going to put the end of the cut 550 cord through this loop.

What you going to do is to wrap the 550 cord around the portion of the cord that you have looped up the side of the sheath. That loop is going to be the foundation. You start looping at the bottom of the sheath. At first it won't make sense.

Now, you loop and loop and loop around. You can tighten up as you loop by compressing the already wrapped cord down towards the end of the sheath with your fingers.

Now you are approaching the top of the sheath and have looped as far as you can. Then cut the 550 cord and loop it through the oversized loop that is your base. Some of the cut cord is still showing.

Remember the beginning where you had the initial cord hanging down? Take a pair of pliers and gradually pull on the 550 cord on the dangling piece at the bottom of the sheath. It will pull the oversized loop and end of you effort a short distance under the wrapped cord. Now, nothing will unravel.

Now you take a match and burn each end of the 550 cord so that the 550 cord doesn't unravel itself at the ends.

So you now have a single layer of cord all along the sheath.

I found this by simply going to youtube and asking how to wrap 550 cord on a sheath.

You can do this on the slipperiest of knife sheaths as well has think knife and sword handles.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08   #17
Kentguy

bdcochran,

WOW thanks a lot for this method! I will give this a go sometime in the next few day when time allows.