GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10   #26
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Meet a few prostitutes (not as a client) and get to know the. I've had a few as informants and there is never a happy story about how they got into prostitution. They are usually women who have been sexually victimized their entire life and the prostitution is just the next chapter in that.

People who use prostitutes don't won't to hear about that or think about their role in that. I don't blame them.
And if we made guns illegal, criminals wouldn't be able to use them in crimes, right?

Criminals will sexually victimize women whether prostitution is legal or not. Legalizing it gives prostitutes legal protection and legal recourse when they are victimized.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36   #27
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
How is doing harm to somebody else by force the same as one person selling a service to another who wants to buy it? You sure say some goofy things.

OP, yes, prostitution is just capitalism. Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.

Last edited by Bren; 12-04-2012 at 09:36..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42   #28
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
Wow. I never really thought about it that way but I think you're on to something there.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10   #29
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
And if we made guns illegal, criminals wouldn't be able to use them in crimes, right?

Criminals will sexually victimize women whether prostitution is legal or not. Legalizing it gives prostitutes legal protection and legal recourse when they are victimized.
I didn't say whether to legalize it or not. I just pointed out that the people who use prostitutes are continuing a pattern of abuse that is what got these women to be prostitutes in the first place (the line about being a college girl making extra tuition money is just marketing).

And, just like the people who commit crimes with guns, I doubt the men using prostitutes care whether it's legal or illegal.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.

Last edited by series1811; 12-04-2012 at 10:11..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44   #30
Kentak
Senior Member
 
Kentak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,381
There will always be people who are in desperate circumstances who will do things to survive or to try to improve their lot in life. Sometimes the things they do aren't the best choice and/or have risks to themselves. As long as these things don't violate the rights of others, what reason does government have to make them illegal? The kind of prostitution we are talking about decriminalizing here are the voluntary transactions conducted in private between *consenting adults.* It's specifically because of the illegal nature of prostitution that there is human trafficking and abusive pimps. Trafficking, abusive and coercive pimping, and underage prostitution can, and should, remain illegal.
__________________
Join and support the NRA
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00   #31
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,114
Its a public health threat and therefore not a victimless crime or a simple business deal.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03   #32
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Its a public health threat and therefore not a victimless crime or a simple business deal.
How would you tackle this public health threat?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06   #33
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Its a public health threat and therefore not a victimless crime or a simple business deal.
So STDs and pregnancy only happen when money is exchanged?

Guns are also a public health threat. How do you feel about your rights being restricted because of other's irresponsibility.

I've seen you all over the Walking Dead forum talking about who you'd bang and who you wouldn't. You can't really be that uptight about sex.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 12-04-2012 at 11:10..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07   #34
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,233


It's an unpopular business with government because they have not figured out how to tax it. Government will approve anything that raises taxes.

Besides, health care to the affected ones is free under Obamacare. Penalize (no pun intended) the offer'ers if they do not have frequent health inspections and pay their taxes. I haven't decided whether this is a VAT or Sales and Use Tax catagory.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12   #35
Kentak
Senior Member
 
Kentak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Its a public health threat and therefore not a victimless crime or a simple business deal.
So, you're for banning unhealthy foods, fast food, tobacco, and alcohol?

Just what we need, a nanny in the bedroom.
__________________
Join and support the NRA
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15   #36
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,629
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
So STDs and pregnancy only happen when money is exchanged?

Guns are also a public health threat. How do you feel about your rights being restricted because of other's irresponsibility.

I've seen you all over the Walking Dead forum talking about who you'd bang and who you wouldn't. You can't really be that uptight about sex.
Being serviced by a hooker is a walk away,guns are a way ta stop getting robbed after being serviced.

n00bs,youse gotta love them.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31   #37
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
I didn't say whether to legalize it or not. I just pointed out that the people who use prostitutes are continuing a pattern of abuse that is what got these women to be prostitutes in the first place ...
I hear ya ... What drives women into it is a separate issue though. As adults, by labeling the activity (consenting adults in a voluntary transaction) as illegal and amoral we drastically increase the likelihood of victimization of prostitutes.

If the activity is legitimized/legalized, she (or I guess he) is much more able to assert herself and protect herself in every facet. The pimps and abusers thrive on being under the radar and in the shadows. Take that cover away and that bad element starts to disappear and we go a long way towards minimizing victimization.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43   #38
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,076


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
How would you tackle this public health threat?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Buyer beware. Sounds good enough for me. People should all know by now that exchanging bodily fluids can be risky. Having worked in STD clinics during training, I think I'll pass, even if I was single.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47   #39
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Its a public health threat and therefore not a victimless crime or a simple business deal.
The mental gymnastics you guys accomplish to justify banning things you don't like is outstanding. I'm more impressed each and every time.

I would point out that sex in general is a public health threat, but I wouldn't be suprised if you wanted sex in general banned, so maybe it actually makes sense in your mind.

Last edited by Gundude; 12-04-2012 at 11:47..
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53   #40
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Buyer beware. Sounds good enough for me. People should all know by now that exchanging bodily fluids can be risky. Having worked in STD clinics during training, I think I'll pass, even if I was single.
I wonder if compulsory STD testing coupled with mandatory tattooing for those that test positive in hidden places that only a potential partner would see would go a long way towards preventing the spread (of STDs).

Failing that people should know that blood drives are a great place to meet clean women. Only porn stars are tested more frequently than regular blood donors.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54   #41
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Wow. I never really thought about it that way but I think you're on to something there.
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55   #42
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
It's an unpopular business with government because they have not figured out how to tax it. Government will approve anything that raises taxes.
Wha? It's not that complicated. It's been regulated and taxed in most of Nevada for over 40 years.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56   #43
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Failing that people should know that blood drives are a great place to meet clean women. Only porn stars are tested more frequently than regular blood donors.
Yet, if prostitution was legal, such frequent testing could easily be made a requirement of the job and prostitutes would be safer than girls you meet in college.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00   #44
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
Well sure, I've just never thought of the "wives as a political force against prostitution" angle. I understand just wanting to buy some damn milk instead of having to constantly deal with an entire cow. We all do that through our whole dating lives in one way or another but it's usually in the form of drinks, movies, dinners and gifts.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05   #45
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Yet, if prostitution was legal, such frequent testing could easily be made a requirement of the job and prostitutes would be safer than girls you meet in college.
I read an article that I can't find now that said that California porn stars have the lowest incident of STDs of any group that they track that sort of thing for. California has a law that condoms must be used in any porn movies made in that state. Since they get tested more than most people (also by law) and they usually only have sex for work and always with condoms they are statistically the safest group to hook up with.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08   #46
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I read an article that I can't find now that said that California porn stars have the lowest incident of STDs of any group that they track that sort of thing for. California has a law that condoms must be used in any porn movies made in that state. Since they get tested more than most people (also by law) and they usually only have sex for work and always with condoms they are statistically the safest group to hook up with.
Actually, Nevada legal hookers are safer:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ostitutes.html

Quote:
Sexually transmitted infection rates among legal prostitutes are negligible, the report said
Don't you wish STD infection rates among women you meet in bars and/or at work were also negligible?

Last edited by Gundude; 12-04-2012 at 12:11..
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08   #47
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,629
Blog Entries: 1


Btw folk,working folk are just that,working.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53   #48
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,530
I think that if prostitution becomes legalized, not only do the girls need to be tested frequently for STDs, but the guys need to be tested as well, before they're allowed to sleep with the girls. If you've got an STD, you can't sleep with the girl. That way the girls stay STD free and don't spread diseases between the guys they sleep with.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:08   #49
tuica
Senior Member
 
tuica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 1,831
It was when I visited the Phillippines! Cheers.
__________________
Tuica: NRA Certified Instructor; Oregon CHL Instructor; GMG2 - US Navy 1976-1980. USS Coral Sea, 1977-1980. Forward Deployed - The Gulf.
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:18   #50
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,076


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I wonder if compulsory STD testing coupled with mandatory tattooing for those that test positive in hidden places that only a potential partner would see would go a long way towards preventing the spread (of STDs).

Failing that people should know that blood drives are a great place to meet clean women. Only porn stars are tested more frequently than regular blood donors.

Who's to say the guy hitting that an hour ago didn't have GC, Chlamydia, or HPV? All three can be asymptomatic. HIV takes about 6 weeks to be positive.

I'll just stay home, no thanks.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 12-04-2012 at 16:29..
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,453
398 Members
1,055 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42