SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:29   #41
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
1 for 2, though Fast Times does contain much great wisdom, the first quote is from Physicist/Neurosurgeon/Rock Star Buckaroo Banzai.

what the Jefferson dude was saying is we left this England place cause it was bogus and if we don't get ourselves some cool rule pronto, we'll just be bogus too.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45   #42
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yes we can, and we have.
We've done a lot worse than what God had planned for Mankind.

The world we live in today is a direct result of man turning away from God.
God could have done a lot better job, if only we would have let him.

This.

And morality, like truth, is not relative. For if it is than there is no truth or morality. Youre entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52   #43
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
And morality, like truth, is not relative. For if it is than there is no truth or morality. Youre entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
Please provide factual evidence of an objective morality. No? Then it is just your subjective opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 12-04-2012 at 11:52..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56   #44
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Youre entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
That's just something people say when they're trying to pass their own opinions off as fact. Like you just did.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01   #45
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Moral relativity.
The same kind of moral relativity that has someone believing that it's OK for the government to seize children based on the parent's income levels and forcibly sterilize people?
Old 12-04-2012, 15:52   #46
Comrade Bork

!

Quote:
This.

My opinion is that "morality" are the social mores we agree to collectively, that work for the society that agrees to them.

There is no absolute morality, since morality has to change when a society's conditions change.
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:59   #47
Sarge1400

Quote:
What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course morality is relative; Muslims think eating pork is immoral, Catholics think eating meat on Friday during Lent is immoral, the Christian bible says eating shellfish is immoral. Morality is relative to the subset of society you belong to.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:50   #48
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:

Truth is always relative to the question being asked and morality is always relative to the whims and trends of the people in the society. Whether it's in vogue to burn "witches", free slaves or legalize weed and prostitution the people involved create their own morality by the process of deciding what's right and what's not and to what degree.
Old 12-04-2012, 18:11   #49
Davegrave
Dapper Dan

Wow, I rarely find myself disagreeing with you G29, but morality is most certainly always evolving and relative to the time and place you are.

It used to not be immoral to marry a 12 year old. It most certainly is almost everywhere today.
It used to not be immoral to beat the tar out of your kids for disobeying you. Now in most civilized areas it most certainly is.

You can argue that those were always immoral, but then if morality has a basis in religion, where was religion to tell people to stop doing/condoning those actions? I'll tell you where it was. It was being used as a basis to condone those actions and defend them to the few at the time who were forward thinking and saw that they may not be OK things to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 18:13   #50
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
The same kind of moral relativity that has someone believing that it's OK for the government to seize children based on the parent's income levels and forcibly sterilize people?
Actually, yes (discounting the stuff you added in there for drama or because you don't understand the issues involved).

Last edited by series1811; 12-04-2012 at 18:15..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote