Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54   #41
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 37,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Wow. I never really thought about it that way but I think you're on to something there.
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet - you will never learn to shoot here.
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55   #42
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
It's an unpopular business with government because they have not figured out how to tax it. Government will approve anything that raises taxes.
Wha? It's not that complicated. It's been regulated and taxed in most of Nevada for over 40 years.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56   #43
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 37,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Failing that people should know that blood drives are a great place to meet clean women. Only porn stars are tested more frequently than regular blood donors.
Yet, if prostitution was legal, such frequent testing could easily be made a requirement of the job and prostitutes would be safer than girls you meet in college.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet - you will never learn to shoot here.
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:00   #44
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
Well sure, I've just never thought of the "wives as a political force against prostitution" angle. I understand just wanting to buy some damn milk instead of having to constantly deal with an entire cow. We all do that through our whole dating lives in one way or another but it's usually in the form of drinks, movies, dinners and gifts.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:05   #45
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Yet, if prostitution was legal, such frequent testing could easily be made a requirement of the job and prostitutes would be safer than girls you meet in college.
I read an article that I can't find now that said that California porn stars have the lowest incident of STDs of any group that they track that sort of thing for. California has a law that condoms must be used in any porn movies made in that state. Since they get tested more than most people (also by law) and they usually only have sex for work and always with condoms they are statistically the safest group to hook up with.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:08   #46
Gundude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I read an article that I can't find now that said that California porn stars have the lowest incident of STDs of any group that they track that sort of thing for. California has a law that condoms must be used in any porn movies made in that state. Since they get tested more than most people (also by law) and they usually only have sex for work and always with condoms they are statistically the safest group to hook up with.
Actually, Nevada legal hookers are safer:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ostitutes.html

Quote:
Sexually transmitted infection rates among legal prostitutes are negligible, the report said
Don't you wish STD infection rates among women you meet in bars and/or at work were also negligible?

Last edited by Gundude; 12-04-2012 at 13:11..
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:08   #47
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,772
Blog Entries: 1


Btw folk,working folk are just that,working.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:53   #48
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,106
I think that if prostitution becomes legalized, not only do the girls need to be tested frequently for STDs, but the guys need to be tested as well, before they're allowed to sleep with the girls. If you've got an STD, you can't sleep with the girl. That way the girls stay STD free and don't spread diseases between the guys they sleep with.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:08   #49
tuica
Senior Member
 
tuica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 1,832
It was when I visited the Phillippines! Cheers.
__________________
Tuica: NRA Certified Instructor; Oregon CHL Instructor; GMG2 - US Navy 1976-1980. USS Coral Sea, 1977-1980. Forward Deployed - The Gulf.
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:18   #50
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I wonder if compulsory STD testing coupled with mandatory tattooing for those that test positive in hidden places that only a potential partner would see would go a long way towards preventing the spread (of STDs).

Failing that people should know that blood drives are a great place to meet clean women. Only porn stars are tested more frequently than regular blood donors.

Who's to say the guy hitting that an hour ago didn't have GC, Chlamydia, or HPV? All three can be asymptomatic. HIV takes about 6 weeks to be positive.

I'll just stay home, no thanks.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 12-04-2012 at 17:29..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:28   #51
Leigh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 5,764


Quote:
Originally Posted by randrew379 View Post
I want one that's made in China.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Now THAT was the funniest thing I've read all day!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:42   #52
QNman
resU deretsigeR
 
QNman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,532
I'm sorry or my ignorance, but I don't think there is a federal law against prostitution - is there?
__________________
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:55   #53
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,563
In Hollywood, sex for money is illegal UNLESS they are creating porn. And if they are making porn (not whoopie) the law says they must use rubbers. So who us going to be the condom inspector? And if the participants enjoy their work, does it then become illegal?

As the woman at Mustang Ranch is reputed to have said "It's a business doing pleasure with you."


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:55   #54
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
I'm sorry or my ignorance, but I don't think there is a federal law against prostitution - is there?
Federal law? I don't think so, because there are whore houses in parts of Nevada, and the feds haven't busted their doors down, as far as I know. I think it's state law that makes it illegal in most states.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:57   #55
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
I'm sorry or my ignorance, but I don't think there is a federal law against prostitution - is there?
Something called the Mann Act (no pun intended) about crossing a state line for immoral purposes would apply I believe. Although today who's to say what's an immoral purpose.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:00   #56
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Federal law? I don't think so, because there are whore houses in parts of Nevada, and the feds haven't busted their doors down, as far as I know. I think it's state law that makes it illegal in most states.
Didn't the IRS seize one of the houses for failure to pay taxes...and then couldn't run it at a profit? Maybe the Secret Service rather than the IRS should have been put in charge of the house by the Treasury. Maybe some of the agents from the Columbia visit...


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:05   #57
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,563
Mr Heinlein on prostitutes...and certain other professionals...

A whore should be judged by the same criteria as other, professionals offering services for pay--such as dentists, lawyers, hairdressers, physicians, plumbers, etc. Is she professionally competent? Does she give good measure? Is she honest with her clients? It is possible that the percentage of honest and competent whores is higher than that of plumbers and much higher than that of lawyers. And enormously higher than that of professors.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:11   #58
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88
 
Wil Ufgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 1,875
Political Issues
__________________
Jimmy Feldman: A stretcher for his balls?
Wil Ufgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:19   #59
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Didn't the IRS seize one of the houses for failure to pay taxes...and then couldn't run it at a profit? Maybe the Secret Service rather than the IRS should have been put in charge of the house by the Treasury. Maybe some of the agents from the Columbia visit...


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I do remember hearing something about some government group not being able to profitably run a whore house, but I don't remember whether it was the IRS or another group.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:00   #60
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
OP, yes, prostitution is just capitalism. Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
I have been saying something close to this for years.

I think prostitution is a victimless crime. Providing the woman is willing and clean.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:06.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,361
354 Members
1,007 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31