Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 14:24   #41
Bernie@Nexus

The Nexus Shooting Difference - Part 3 - Shooter Safety

In the first part of this series, we described our multimillion dollar military grade ventilation system to ensure the health of our patrons as well as our employees by decreasing dangerous lead and airborne toxin exposure. http://nexusshooting.blogspot.com/20...ce-part-1.html

In the second part of this series, we examined the differences between bullet trap systems and the benefits of Nexus Shooting's traps: http://nexusshooting.blogspot.com/20...ce-part-2.html

The most important way to ensure safety is to emphasize shooter education. Shooters who are knowledgeable on fundamental etiquette and range rules are vital for everyone's safety. We will discuss this aspect of safety in a future segment. For this third part, we will describe some of the innovative features built into the physical range itself.

The first safety system in place is the stall walls separating adjacent shooters. Amazingly, if you read some of the range safety rules posted at other ranges, they state explicitly that their stall walls are NOT bulletproof. Our stall walls are constructed of ballistic steel UL rated to the appropriate level of protection. You can shoot without worrying about the safety standards of the person in the stall next to you.

The next feature that makes Nexus Shooting safer than most ranges is the actual physical walls of the range. Most ranges have a single layer of bare or painted concrete block (often times hollow), or even worse just a couple of sheets of drywall. Clearly, this would be ineffective at preventing penetrating rounds, ricochets or shrapnel.
As can be seen in the diagram below, at Nexus Shooting the walls between each range have ELEVEN layers of protection, each with a specific purpose. The first layer is a two inch thick layer of sound insulation. This helps to protect your hearing by decreasing the reverberation and noise of gunfire. Personal hearing protection is still required; however, this sound insulation is a beneficial adjunct.

The next few layers include plywood, a rubber membrane, crushed rock, and ballistic steel. These multiple layers are specifically designed to contain errant shots. The bullet penetrates the plywood, rubber, and crushed rock, and smashes against the ballistic steel. This prevents penetration into the adjacent rooms. But, the shrapnel from the smashing bullet and ricocheting of the bullet itself can be almost just as dangerous as the primary penetration of the bullet. This is where the other layers come into play. The energy of the shrapnel is dissipated and the fragments are contained by the crushed rock and plywood layers. The middle layer is solid 4000 PSI concrete. Then, on the other side of the concrete, the same layers are repeated (steel, rock, rubber, plywood, and sound insulation), thus DOUBLING the protection between ranges.

Every wall between our separate ranges is protected in this manner. This allows for safe tactical training all the way up and down range. Lining all of the walls with these multiple layers of protection is expensive, but at Nexus Shooting, your safety is our highest priority!
Florida Glockers Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Bernie@Nexus; 11-03-2012 at 20:47..
Bernie@Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:57   #42
SiberianErik

wow that looks awesome, def the kind of place needed in S Fla. I would love to work there but I am in Jupiter, I will make a visit though to show support for you guys.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 15:37   #43
03scgt

I don't know how I haven't seen this being built.I drive over to Weston all the time passing right by it.Ill be sure to stop in and show some support
03scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30   #44
Bernie@Nexus

Thanks for the support guys!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:36   #45
Bernie@Nexus

THE NEXUS DIFFERENCE - PART 4 - PRIVATE TRAINING BAYS

In the previous segment of The Nexus Difference, we looked at how our specially designed walls have multiple layers of protection built in to enhance shooter safety. Now, let's take a look at how we are using those walls to create multiple independent bays to enhance your shooting experience even further!

Florida Glockers Club

THE PROBLEMS: Most ranges compromise your safety by crowding multiple shooters into a single room. Looking at the diagram above, it is easy to see how having many customers of varying skill levels packed tightly together is detrimental to safety.

- Sweeping muzzles: Untrained shooters may have poor muzzle discipline or even walk around behind other patrons pointing their firearms in unsafe directions.

- Noise: Trying to shout loudly enough to be heard over the continuous gunfire as well as through earplugs and muffs is nearly impossible. For nervous first time shooters, being unable to hear instructions is unacceptable!

- Unrealistic training: Training from a static firing position is only adequate to learn basic target shooting. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to defend yourself, being able to shoot a non-moving piece of paper while you are standing still in one spot is of limited value. In a real life scenario, the players are constantly in motion! Also, the majority of home intrusions occur in the dead of night. How can you handle a low-visibility nighttime shooting if you've never practiced in those conditions?

- Poor Ventilation: The inadequately ventilated room fills with smoke and vaporized lead from multiple shooters (see our prior post about the differences in ventilation systems here... http://nexusshooting.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-nexus-shooting-difference-part-1.html).

Florida Glockers Club

THE NEXUS SOLUTION: As can be easily seen in the picture above, having multiple shooting bays at Nexus alleviates these issues. This makes it is easier for us to separate customers for the ultimate in safety. Nexus has EIGHT independent shooting bays varying in size from 10 to 150 feet wide! Whether you want a whole bay for yourself or have a large group of 10 to 20 people, we can easily accommodate you.

- Control of the entire room: Control of an individual bay allows for easy discussion without having to shout over the gunfire of other patrons.

- Privacy: Families with children, public figures, celebrities, and women seeking a safe and discreet experience can shoot without being concerned about other customers.

- Low light training: Look at the female patron in the left most bay. Having your own bay means you can turn the lights to a low setting to properly practice with a handheld or weapon-mounted light. In our opinion, this is the only way to prepare for the possibility of a nighttime encounter.

- Shooting on the move: By separating the range into multiple bays, experienced members will be able to shoot on the move. Practical training like this is unavailable in any other indoor range around! This is also key for practical firearms competitors. Those of you engaged in USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun, etc. will find Nexus to be your ultimate training ground. You will no longer have to limit your training at static ranges. Rent out your own bay, set up your own course of fire, and gain a competitive edge! We will have equipment similar to those found at most practical competitions available for your use, including obstacles, cover, doorways, windows, reactive steel, moving targets, etc.

Old 12-04-2012, 15:52   #46
jamaicanj

Bernie,

Thanks for all of the updates. I am eagerly waiting for you to open. The idea of having my own bay so I can not have to worry about the person next to me and also so I can practice for IPSC is very exciting.

All the best

J
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:04   #47
Bernie@Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicanj View Post
Bernie,

Thanks for all of the updates. I am eagerly waiting for you to open. The idea of having my own bay so I can not have to worry about the person next to me and also so I can practice for IPSC is very exciting.

All the best

J
Thanks for the support, J!

Old 12-09-2012, 19:20   #48
SiberianErik

This just looks EPIC. Love the individ bays, the range I use, just last week had a guy rent a .357 Mag and splattered his brains all over the guy next to him I have my own range on 13,000 acres I have a lease on but it is a 3 hr drive so .to just shoot my handguns I have to risk this kind of crap.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 18:06   #49
Adjuster

I just drove by this place today. It looks like a very nice building and is in a great area of Davie Florida.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 19:08   #50
In2deep

Nexus

Very very nice. I'm another one that can't wait.
? How are you guys coping with all the crazy fire arm,ammo & parts shortage? Are you guys going to have a reloading room with clear plexy glass for customers to look in? Just a thought.
In2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35   #51
Bernie@Nexus

Thanks for the support, guys!

In2deep, we are well stocked. We had been stocking up on inventory even before the election in anticipation of another rush like in 2008.

Old 02-10-2013, 20:19   #52
In2deep

Nexus

That is great to here. Can't wait to put some rounds down rang! you guys rock!
In2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 18:44   #53
10-S

May I suggest a carpool to NEXUS from Ft. Myers?
10-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:20   #54
jamaicanj

Just checked the countdown clock...13 days till open date. I'm looking forward to it!
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32   #55
Steve Allan
Steve

Hi,
I drive by the range everyday. Parking lot looks good. Seeing a lot of workers, working on the inside. Hope you open soon. What is the target date to open and is there going to be a Grand Opening. Inquiring mindes what to know.
Steve Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 15:44   #56
NolePhin

Are you guys still hiring?
NolePhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:47   #57
Jake Starr

Nexus
Encouraging read. I have been the training manager at our indoor range for the past 4 yrs. I am curious as if you are going to have your RSO where masks while in the bays? How do you think that will effect shooters?

If you wish pm me. I am interested in your input. And since I am working in a range that is 30 yrs old, we deal with such issues constantly.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54   #58
Jake Starr

Nexus
Encouraging read. I have been the training manager at our indoor range for the past 4 yrs. I am curious as if you are going to have your RSO where masks while in the bays? How do you think that will effect shooters?

If you wish pm me. I am interested in your input. And since I am working in a range that is 30 yrs old, we deal with such issues constantly.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43   #59
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolePhin View Post
Are you guys still hiring?
Im curious about this as well. I just came across this thread and would love to work at your range!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:24   #60
Bernie@Nexus

We are fully staffed at the moment. If anyone would like to submit your application and resume, we would be happy to review it should any spots open up.

http://nexusshooting.wufoo.com/forms...or-employment/