Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2012, 15:25   #101
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
You do realize you are just promoting your religion of Atheism and putting yourself as the all knowing OZ? I find you arrogant, pompous and self righteous.

I could care less what you believe or think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Then why are you even looking at thread in a forum dedicated to what people believe, in terms of religion?

Last edited by Bren; 12-03-2012 at 15:25..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:45   #102
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Waaaaa...poor little baby!
Oh I'm not offended. You identified yourself as someone that believes in common courtesy with statements like...

Quote:
Apparently common courtesy is uncommon in the atheist world. Boy am I surprised.
But then you turn around and insult people by calling them elitist. I'm just pointing out that you're a liar.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:53   #103
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Oh good lord...that is not what you posted. Maybe you can go back and change your post to make it seem like you are carrying on an intelligent conversation.
You're being a liar again. You can look back and see that my post was not edited. you're simply either a liar or an idiot. You said...

Quote:
Apparently common courtesy is uncommon in the atheist world. Boy am I surprised.
To which I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Weren't you the one just calling someone an elitist?
And this post has not been edited... see for yourself. Then you said...

Quote:
Believing in common courtesy is elitist? What planet are you from?
You were the one calling people elitist... not I. But to clarify I responded with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Can you not read? I said that YOU calling someone an elitist is showing your lack of common courtesy.
To which you posted

Quote:
Oh good lord...that is not what you posted. Maybe you can go back and change your post to make it seem like you are carrying on an intelligent conversation.
Where you accused me of changing my post. So either you're a liar... or just stupid.

And you did call someone an elitist here

Quote:
Elitist.
Now... no one really takes offense at this. So don't think anyone has their feelings hurt. We toss mud in here... it's how we play sometimes. But you're the only one in this thread moaning and wailing about common courtesy while also sling mud yourself. Then accusing people of editing their posts when they haven't.

You're being hypocritical and dishonest.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-03-2012 at 15:58..
Old 12-03-2012, 16:00   #104
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Nowhere do the scriptures say to be a doormat and if you ever met me you would know that I am not one.
It says to turn to me your other cheek after I have stricken your first.

Bad Christian! Very Bad!

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-03-2012, 16:05   #105
Glock36shooter

Quote:
A bit off topic but I see your sig line and I see who it quotes. Seems to me like both of you are beneath engaging. So rather than acknowledging you as a human being who is fit to have a discusion with I will simply bid both of you adieu.
Sore Loser.

Quote:
You guys really are the lowest common denominator. I personally think the two of you are the epitome of everything that is wrong with this once great nation.
You are the disease and we are the cure my friend. It won't be long now.

Quote:
May God have mercy on us all.
Don't hold your breath.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-03-2012, 16:10   #106
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Atheist Jihad! I love it!
Mmmmmmmmm... not really Jihad. That implies holy war. We aren't at war nor interested in anything holy. We will simply continue to learn and expand man's knowledge base and engage people like you in debate to shut you down. And that's working. Look around... the fact that you think the place is falling apart is a good sign we're winning. And we are.

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for!
I'd give up my guns to live in a world without religion. That's as bold a statement as I can make on a gun board.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 12-03-2012, 16:15   #107
Glock36shooter

Quote:
He essentially said working class Southerners are stupid. Do you not agree that is elitist?
Couple things... many working class southerners are stupid. I live in Georgia. Trust me... many are stupid.

No one said we're offended. You can call me elitist all day. I am... but I'm right.

The issue is that YOU are the one making such a big to do about common courtesy and violating your own principle. No one actually cares that you think they're elitist.

Your own words prove you to be dishonest and a hypocrite.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-03-2012 at 16:15..
Old 12-03-2012, 17:13   #108
muscogee

Quote:
Please explain, how can my opinion be a lie?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
No one is spanking me.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08   #109
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Well, I got about what I expected out of this thread. As usual, some posters jumped in without reading the OP.

JBnTX: Why would an atheist even give this forum a second thought?
There's nothing in a religious forum that would be of interest to an atheist.

Bren: Then why are you even looking at thread in a forum dedicated to what people believe, in terms of religion?

Then the Christian loonies (not all Christians are loonies, but it’s pretty easy to identify the ones who are) snapped into full attack mode.
Happypuppy: I find you arrogant, pompous and self righteous.
NOTE: This was Post #3. In Post # 36 Happyguy says, “The attacks in this thread were initiated by atheists”.
Short, selective memory there, sport!
And the insults continue ….

Happyguy pulled out all the stops: Christians can't even have a thread about Christian music without the resident atheists posting crap they know is insulting.

Yep, you are going to save the republic by posting anti-Christian messages in the Glock Talk Religious Issues Forum.

The issue is not a complex one. It's hatred and envy, plain, pure, and simple.

Elitist.

Many of the atheists on GT act like spoiled little brats.

You guys really are the lowest common denominator.

Do you seriously not understand how stupid your posts are?

And so on.

I won’t bother with the delusional ramblings of Molly.

All this only served to reinforce my thoughts in the OP. I don’t think for a second that I can change the mind of anyone who’s too far gone, too emotionally invested in their religion, to be capable of examining it in any rational way. Those people have revealed themselves unmistakably in this thread.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:06   #110
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

As a non-religious believer I think that most of the atheists post here as a coping mechanism and perhaps a way to work against the intolerance of those claiming to believe in tolerance, to try and breath reality into delusion. The religious here, in particular the Christians, find slight every time anyone points out that their religious beliefs run contradictory to all of science; the same science that provides this medium in the first place. If one claims the sky is pink and another demonstrates that it is not, how is that insulting?

That is basically what happens here more often than not. Insults do follow but usually when the religious get all butt hurt that some ridiculous claim can't be substantiated through physics and can only reference scripture as "proof" of what ever insanity they are holding on to because their faith is so threatened by the fact that Noah couldn't actually get two of every animal on a boat. As if it would to them somehow invalidate the golden rule or thou shall not commit murder.

That is a fragile and honestly quite pathetic mind set. That evolution and quantum mechanics are indeed scientifically proven facts threatens one's moral concept regarding stealing or adultery is actually mind boggling.

With the exceptions of abortion and sexual conduct, one would be hard pressed to find other major differences in the morality of atheists and Christians. The religious here quite often bring ire on themselves with insistence on belligerent literalism to an "understanding" of their preferred scripture.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:37   #111
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
The real issues I’m interested in are skepticism and critical thinking. The idea that someone can take the writings of bronze age semi-savages whose technology hadn’t gotten as far as the button and button-hole over evidence obtained through rigorous modern scientific investigation is simply astonishing to me.

Anyone who’s passed a 7th grade General Science class should be familiar with the way the scientific method works. They should understand the definitions of “hypothesis” and “theory” and “peer review”. They should understand that a scientific theory requires compelling evidence. It’s not just some random idea.
Unfortunately while our schools may be teaching students science facts, they are not successfully teaching critical thinking.

High school students were polled on scientific knowledge, then on paranormal/pseudoscience beliefs. There was no correlation between the science knowledge and paranormal/pseudoscience beliefs -- even students that are learning science facts are not learning critical thinking.

It's okay to weep.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44   #112
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
The main concern of the public schools I have been around was avoiding lawsuits. You can't teach critical thinking without introducing cognitive dissonance, and you can't introduce cognitive dissonance without risking a lawsuit. When my children were adolescents they thought I was the meanest man in the world because I asked them to defend any shallow illogical statements they made. When they became adults and ventured out into the real world, they all thanked me for forcing them to think. A public school couldn't do that because so many adults don't think and get offended when backed into a logical corner. That's been a problem at least since Socrates.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17   #113
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
The main concern of the public schools I have been around was avoiding lawsuits. You can't teach critical thinking without introducing cognitive dissonance, and you can't introduce cognitive dissonance without risking a lawsuit. When my children were adolescents they thought I was the meanest man in the world because I asked them to defend any shallow illogical statements they made. When they became adults and ventured out into the real world, they all thanked me for forcing them to think. A public school couldn't do that because so many adults don't think and get offended when backed into a logical corner. That's been a problem at least since Socrates.
Very good points. My results have varied from child to child.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote