Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30   #1
Colubrid

Christian who relies on God vs guns

I recently met a christian woman who is right on doctrinally about God. but then this subject came up and i need our brethens help to respond (in a short sentance). Here is what she wrote:

"Lol. I don't lock the doors of my car which is basically brand new and it's never been stolen. I've been around rape and never been raped. I've been 10 steps from a shooting and was never shot. I was at the scene of a stabbing and never been stabbed. Who do you think prevented those things!? Not my gun. :-P
"
Colubrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50   #2
Roering
Sorting nuts

Well, Christ told Peter to take a sword so I carry a modern day equivalent when I can.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 14:45   #3
Colubrid

With the exception of the one reply above. The silence is here deafening. I thought this was a gun forum?

Last edited by Colubrid; 12-05-2012 at 14:46..
Old 12-05-2012, 14:48   #4
Colubrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Well, Christ told Peter to take a sword so I carry a modern day equivalent when I can.
I think the instruction we have afterwards is what applies to us and our walk.

Look at Paul and Stephen they were tortured they never fought back. Why? Because Christ the man they were following "never retaliated in His suffering"
Old 12-05-2012, 14:50   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colubrid View Post
I recently met a christian woman who is right on doctrinally about God. but then this subject came up and i need our brethens help to respond (in a short sentance). Here is what she wrote:

"Lol. I don't lock the doors of my car which is basically brand new and it's never been stolen. I've been around rape and never been raped. I've been 10 steps from a shooting and was never shot. I was at the scene of a stabbing and never been stabbed. Who do you think prevented those things!? Not my gun. :-P
"
I'm an atheist and I have similar luck. Does this mean when something does happpen to her, she'll blame god? Nope, she'll blame herself for committing some sin that required God to do something bad to her - religion has all the angles covered.

However, I don't really see a gun connection. If she believes God is directly acting in her life (I'm thinking that may be contrary to christian beliefs, free will doctrine, etc.) than carry a gun or don't - if you choose to carry a gun and shoot somebody, that was just God's will too.

Last edited by Bren; 12-06-2012 at 08:21..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 14:52   #6
token5gtd

I would say, that what prevented those things, was that the attacker(s) were not targeting her.

See how simple logic is?

EDIT: but you could bet if the average criminal had heard the woman say this, her days of not being a victim would be numbered.

Last edited by token5gtd; 12-05-2012 at 14:53..
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:03   #7
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

She has defined "Pure Luck". Or she is lying.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:11   #8
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
We're talking about this very thing in another thread. Don't you think Christ was a bit of a hypocrite if he was truly instructing them to take up arms.

Christ said to not resist evil and that if someone strikes your right cheek to turn to them the left. He said you aren't doing anything special by only loving those that love you back. He also said to be as harmless as a dove and to be a sheep among wolves.

For him to then say get a sword seems very unlike the rest of his principles doesn't it? So different maybe he didn't even ever really say that.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-05-2012 at 15:12..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:41   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

god might have your soul, but he wont protect your ass.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:46   #10
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:

... I thought this was a gun forum?

This is a religious forum and we were all deep in prayer when you posted your thread.

As for me, I carry a Bible in one hand and a MAC-10 in the other.

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-05-2012 at 15:48..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:49   #11
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
This is a religious forum and we were all deep in prayer when you posted your thread.

As for me, I carry a Bible in one hand and a MAC-10 in the other.

Very Christ-like.

Do you really carry a Mac-10? That's a little Mall Ninja isn't it? Does it have a bayonet?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-05-2012 at 15:50..
Old 12-05-2012, 16:43   #12
neon

Colubrid

"Lol. I don't lock the doors of my car which is basically brand new and it's never been stolen. I've been around rape and never been raped. I've been 10 steps from a shooting and was never shot. I was at the scene of a stabbing and never been stabbed. Who do you think prevented those things!? Not my gun. :-P"

Answer:Molly:
If this woman has been around rape, shootings, etc.
Why wouldn't she lock her car? I am a Christian and
I think it is foolish not to carry a gun or keep your home and car locked. I lock my car even when my husband steps out
of it to go somewhere.

When I was a young girl with a new baby in the back seat.
I man pulled up to my car so close I couldn't open the door
He jumped out of his car and ran around to the drivers side which I had locked when I saw him pin me in. My husband came out and yelled, "What are you doing?"). There is good and evil in this world and the gun is an equalizer.

Molly

+++
Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Last edited by neon; 12-05-2012 at 16:45..
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 18:59   #13
steveksux
Massive Member

Say you're on the freeway, doing 80mph, and traffic suddenly stops in front of you.

Tell her you can still trust in Jesus, but that doesn't mean you can't try the brakes.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:15   #14
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I trust God to steady my aim, but I still make plenty of trips to the range.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:58   #15
muscogee

Quote:

"
Quote:
Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
She's spot on. I don't buy it, but then most Christians don't either.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:22   #16
fgutie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
We're talking about this very thing in another thread. Don't you think Christ was a bit of a hypocrite if he was truly instructing them to take up arms.

Christ said to not resist evil and that if someone strikes your right cheek to turn to them the left. He said you aren't doing anything special by only loving those that love you back. He also said to be as harmless as a dove and to be a sheep among wolves.

For him to then say get a sword seems very unlike the rest of his principles doesn't it? So different maybe he didn't even ever really say that.
I never thought I would say this but for once, I agree with you. Jesus did not mean it that way. That is just an excuse for many christians here to justify themselves for carrying a gun, which could contradict their beliefs of trusting God. I'm a Recent convert to Catholicism and I carry a gun, because my experience and reasons are different from the ones given in this and other forums.
Old 12-05-2012, 20:28   #17
Colubrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
token5gtd;19703545]I would say, that what prevented those things, was that the attacker(s) were not targeting her.

See how simple logic is?

But what caused her not to be the target? There's the bigger question!

Last edited by Colubrid; 12-05-2012 at 20:29..
Old 12-05-2012, 21:33   #18
token5gtd

Quote:

But what caused her not to be the target? There's the bigger question!
Got me there... God for sure.

Last edited by token5gtd; 12-05-2012 at 21:33..
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 22:10   #19
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
I never thought I would say this but for once, I agree with you. Jesus did not mean it that way. That is just an excuse for many christians here to justify themselves for carrying a gun, which could contradict their beliefs of trusting God. I'm a Recent convert to Catholicism and I carry a gun, because my experience and reasons are different from the ones given in this and other forums.
Thank you for honestly looking at the scripture and giving it some thought. Until now, everyone else has either blatantly ignored or or accused me of not understanding what the scripture says and it's pretty point blank.

What is your take on the "Get a sword" passage?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 12-05-2012 at 22:10..
Old 12-05-2012, 22:23   #20
mad220860

What do true atheist believe happens to them when hey die?
mad220860 is offline   Reply With Quote