Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 13:15   #1
flyandscuba

44 Mag power from G30...

Anyone else using a 460 Rowland conversion in their G30? After successfully converting a Springfield "Compact Tactical" XD 45 to 460 Rowland -- I picked up a used G30 and dropped in a 460 Rowland conversion this weekend.

I hope to range test it this week. Like the XD -- I'll see if it will run 45 ACP, +P. 45 Super, and 460 Rowland without changing components.

My buddy Mark Lucas of Deadeye Luke Holsters already fitted a custom kydex holster for it (with the comp installed), and it carries very comfortably.

Johnny Rowland's "Personal Carry" ammo has been clocked at 1560 fps and roughly 1000 ftlbs - so I'll see if it will run some of that reliably as well. If so, a 10+1 "44 Magnum power" G30 will make a very nice and comfortable to carry woods gun/hunting sidearm in areas with serious four and two-legged predators.

Here's the review on my Springfield XD 45 "Compact Tactical" 460 Rowland conversion:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1450123

I'll post a similar review after I have a chance to shoot the G30 460 Rowland conversion this week.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:18   #2
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
Anyone else using a 460 Rowland conversion in their G30? After successfully converting a Springfield "Compact Tactical" XD 45 to 460 Rowland -- I picked up a used G30 and dropped in a 460 Rowland conversion this weekend.

I hope to range test it this week. Like the XD -- I'll see if it will run 45 ACP, +P. 45 Super, and 460 Rowland without changing components.

My buddy Mark Lucas of Deadeye Luke Holsters already fitted a custom kydex holster for it (with the comp installed), and it carries very comfortably.

Johnny Rowland's "Personal Carry" ammo has been clocked at 1560 fps and roughly 1000 ftlbs - so I'll see if it will run some of that reliably as well. If so, a 10+1 "44 Magnum power" G30 will make a very nice and comfortable to carry woods gun/hunting sidearm in areas with serious four and two-legged predators.

Here's the review on my Springfield XD 45 "Compact Tactical" 460 Rowland conversion:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1450123

I'll post a similar review after I have a chance to shoot the G30 460 Rowland conversion this week.
How hard is that to convert? Could I do it with my G30sf? I don't see why not right? Sorry for all the questions!
Old 11-12-2012, 13:38   #3
flyandscuba

Yes, it works the same for the G30SF. Buy the conversion kit from www.460Rowland.com - install the barrel, recoil spring assembly, and compensator provided - and you are good to go!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-13-2012, 18:47   #4
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
Yes, it works the same for the G30SF. Buy the conversion kit from www.460Rowland.com - install the barrel, recoil spring assembly, and compensator provided - and you are good to go!

Jeez that's pricey, but I guess that's what comes with customizing guns right? Thanks for the info!
Old 11-13-2012, 19:46   #5
RYT 2BER

I admit.. I find the setup intriguing. I guess for me though I just can't justify another boutique/obscure round...

Again though.. Certainly intriguing.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52   #6
flyandscuba

If it weren't for Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon, and even Georgia Arms providing factory loaded ammo - I might not have jumped on board.

The fact that you can still run 45 ACP, +P, and 45 Super through the gun after conversion - as well as use regular 45 ACP dies for reloading - made it a no brainier for me.

Old 11-14-2012, 15:57   #7
flyandscuba

Here's the promised range report:

After my success with the XD Compact Tactical 460 Rowland conversion, I decided to do something more CCW-friendly...

I spoke with Johnny Rowland at the Tulsa Gun Show this past weekend. He raved over the G30 conversion he has been personally using - so I decided to go ahead and pick up a conversion kit for one. It includes the barrel, compensator and a replacement RSA.

I located a used G30 in excellent condition (CDNN currently has them for $399) and dropped in the conversion when I returned home.

Today, I had a chance to take it to the range at Nashville Armory for a test run. Pics to follow - but I gave it the same test sequence as the XD Compact Tactical. 2 rds of 45 GAP, followed by 2 rds of Blazer ball, 2 rds of Winchester Ranger T +P, 2 rds of 45 Super, and finally 2 rds of 460 Rowland - all from the same magazine.

The 45 GAP would fire but not eject - nor would the Blazer Ball. The +P, 45 Super, and 460 Rowland all fired and ejected without difficulty.

I ran a total of 50 rds of 460 Rowland through the G30 - no problems whatsoever. It does shoot with "authority" and would not be for the recoil sensitive. Even with the compensator and RSA installed - it has more recoil than my G29SF with the hottest 10mm Auto loads.

Of course, I was shooting Johnny Rowland's "personal carry" loads that have been chronographed at 1570fps from a 5" barrel for the 185 gr Nosler bullet. Even if I lose 100-150 fps from the shorter G30 - that is impressive power from a small, easily concealed handgun.

Johnny, his partner Thomas, and I were discussing the Springfield XDS - and that several of us have been running 45 Super through it unmodified. They indicated that they are planning on a 460 Rowland conversion for the XDS! Yep, you read that right... What a hand cannon that will make if it is successful.

The Big Dawgs Club
Old 11-14-2012, 20:04   #8
RYT 2BER

What's the scoop. You loctite the compemsator on so basically it's pretty much locked in there (the barrell).
Old 11-14-2012, 20:12   #9
flyandscuba

Yes, they supply you with a tube of Loktite (red). You can heat the comp to soften the Loktite and remove it if you choose -- or just clean it as best you can without removing the comp.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27   #10
reflex264

Very cool. I just got done with one of their conversions on a 21sf. I went the full route on this guns since I hunt with it. I have changed trigger group, sights and a bunch more junk and it is driving tacks. reflex264

"A quite hit in the right place is better than a load miss followed by 10 more shots on the run". a unknown PH
reflex264 is offline   Reply With Quote