Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2012, 15:56   #1
Spartacus100

Which ammo to use

I recently picked up this shotgun. It is an SAR Semi Auto Special Purpose Shotgun (SARSASP)- Sarsilmaz and i have a question on which ammo to use. I pucrhased a box of Winchester (silver box i believe) 2 3/4 7 shot from Walmart and my first time out, the semi auto shotgun was reduced to a single shot. Needles to say i was VERY disappointed. Took it my my LGS and the gunsmith there said it was the ammo. He fired 5 shots through it using a brand called RIO? that was also 2 3/4 but was 7.5 shot and it ran perfectly. Basically he said the ammo sold by the big box stores cant generate enough gas pressure to cycle the bolt and eject the spent shell. So i bought three boxes of what he used and will use it for 3 gun competition but i want to get a good brand of 00 buck for HD. What should i pick up? Sorry for the long post but wanted to give some background. Thanks...

Last edited by Spartacus100; 12-07-2012 at 15:58..
Spartacus100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:05   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Low power birdshot+semiauto=single shot gun.

Not exactly news. Pumps still sell because they cycle ANYTHING.

Semis can be finicky and require experimentation to figure out which brand and what load will cycle what in some guns.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:22   #3
Spartacus100

Thats what he was basically saying and what i found out the first time out. It didnt like the Winchester at all. Would buckshot be a "hotter" or higher pressure load than birdshot? It sounded like what he was telling me was that i needed a round that was a higher pressure than what the Winchester was.

Old 12-07-2012, 16:54   #4
Buffering
The Cooler

With someexceptions, most semi shotguns need ammo with oomph aka high base brass. It's just like you were told - they need energy to reliably cycle the gun. The bulk value packs at Walmart are a great buy but a guarantor of a bad day with a semi.

At my last range day I was chirping and humming being a trombone player on my 870 with some of those pretty pink Federal breast cancer target shells while the guy next to me shooting a Benelli something or other was using expensive high base shells and not having a fun time because he was getting a jam every 10 or so shots.

Pumps will run everything.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:45   #5
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Some semis are better than others about running 'anything' especially some of the newer designs, but in general, the cheapo blaster birdshot will cause malfunctions.

I've run the Rio stuff in an 1100 and a Benelli without issues.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:55   #6
azatrox

Try some Hornady 00.
azatrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:46   #7
cfrye11

Basically every buck shot is going to be enough powder to solve your issue. If that is the issue. I wouldn't trust any auto loader with my life that does not cycle light loads.

For home defence I would suggest you look at #4 buck not 00 .

G26g4
+1 Pierce grip
monster back plate
lone wolf grip plug
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:49   #8
IhRedrider
Not a walker

Between a 70's Ted Williams M-300, a sawed off Universal Arms and a Benelli Vinci, I've shot about 5000 rounds of of cheap stuff from Wally world this year. No problems with cycling the bulk package Federal or Winchester stuff. Are you holding the shotgun firmly?
IhRedrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:33   #9
Aceman

Guys with jammed up ridiculously expensive semi's crack me up at the trap range.

My Mossberg pump just goes bang bang bang...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 22:31   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Guys with jammed up ridiculously expensive semi's crack me up at the trap range.

My Mossberg pump just goes bang bang bang...
Seeing a Benelli M4 turn into a straight-pull bolt action, even when fed 00, is pretty entertaining, too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01   #11
Spartacus100

Yes, i was definitely holding it secure to my shoulder. I had a pump and liked it but for 3 gun, a semi is preferred. i'll try some #4 instead of 00 buck for HD and i guess i will stick with RIO for the 3 gun. Thanks for all the info.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
Yes, i was definitely holding it secure to my shoulder. I had a pump and liked it but for 3 gun, a semi is preferred. i'll try some #4 instead of 00 buck for HD and i guess i will stick with RIO for the 3 gun. Thanks for all the info.
If you think you'd prefer tighter patterns (as I do), thenI'd suggest taking a look at the Federal Tactical #1 load as well. It's reduced recoil, so I'm not sure how well it will run in your shotgun. From my 20" barrel Mossberg 590, it produces one-hole groups out to 15 yards, and still puts all 15 pellets in an area the size of a dinner plate at 30.
Old 12-10-2012, 13:22   #13
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
Go to SGAmmo and order up a variety of high velocity and low recoil ammo to try in your gun. They have a great selection and the best prices. They also have cases of Rio if that's what you want.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:45   #14
glockfan2327

my mossberg 930 spx eats anything , use for HD 00 federal vitalshok and hornady tap, make sure when you decide what ammo you going to use the FPS are over 1350 just to make sure works 100% , if you follow this you never going to have a problem with your shotgun.
glockfan2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:46   #15
glockfan2327

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Go to SGAmmo and order up a variety of high velocity and low recoil ammo to try in your gun. They have a great selection and the best prices. They also have cases of Rio if that's what you want.
i dont think low recoil is a good idea in a semi , low recoil= less powder
glockfan2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 18:04   #16
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfan2327 View Post
i dont think low recoil is a good idea in a semi , low recoil= less powder
Understood. I'm not sure about blanket statements like that. I want to try it in my recently acquired A5 and see if it works. Looking at the fps, it's not that much lower so I suspect it will work fine. I guess my point is, try it in your own gun and see where it's limits are.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
Old 12-10-2012, 18:30   #17
barth
six barrels

I like Federal TACTICAL® TRUBALL® RIFLED SLUG 12 GAUGE in my Mossy pump gun.
At 1600 fps I'm pretty sure it will drive your slide if that ammo will work in your gun.
Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by barth; 12-10-2012 at 18:34..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 21:14   #18
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
I like Federal TACTICAL® TRUBALL® RIFLED SLUG 12 GAUGE in my Mossy pump gun.
At 1600 fps I'm pretty sure it will drive your slide if that ammo will work in your gun.
Tactical Shotguns
Lord, that looks like a Civil War mini ball..