SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26   #1
mace85
NRA GOA USPSA

New Gen 2 Glock 20

I was lucky enough to be able to get my day's old Glock 20 when he sold off some guns. It is an original Gen 2 in the Tupperware with the old style u-notch mags. I believe the manufacture date was 1991. The gun only had 50 rounds through it, and still has the black trigger linkage in it. I am completely new to the 10mm. I do reload but have less and less time to do it.

I have a few questions as I am totally new to the 10mm. First, is this particular gun better off sold to a collector and a newer 20 purchased if I plan on using it as a shooter. I am not concerned with the presence of a rail, so I am not too concerned with getting a 3rd gen.

And then what are some good places to get decently priced range ammo? And do you guys recommend any good rounds for concealed carry? I do reload, but I figure I would shoot some factory ammo and then reload that brass..

Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41   #2
Presscheck40
Presscheck40

Congrats on the new g20. First of all I would shoot it I'm not much of a collector and have no safe queens all of mine get used and used often. As far as range ammo I'm at a lose I'm sure someone her can point you toward an online deal they have found. Good luck and shoot straight and often.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56   #3
arushus
Biggest Member

The absolute BEST place for 10mm ammo is underwoodammo.com. He is cheaper, and his ammo actually meets and often exceeds the velocities on the box. Doubletap ammo, not so much, and they are quite a bit more expensive. If you like the grip on the Gen 2, then by all means, shoot the hell out of it and have fun! If you think a smaller grip may be in order, sell it and buy a gen 3 20sf or a Gen 4, if you can find one. SF=short frame, only difference is the grip is a little smaller. Ive heard a few reports that the chamber support is even wors on Gen 2's than it is on Gen 3's. Im sure you will be fine, but examine your brass after shooting it and if it has a glocksmile, a barrel with more support may be in order, especially since you will be reloading. And with reloading in mind, I would advise you to go ahead and buy an aftermarket barrel from lwd, kkm, or stormlake, since the OEM barrel will likely ruin the brass. Aftermarket barrels are generally slightly less reliable as far as feeding goes because of the tighter chamber. Personally I have failures to feed occasionally in my LWD barrel, so if I am carrying the gun in a situation where I may need to use it to defend life and limb, I use the glock barrel. For plinking, target shooting, etc., I use the aftermarket barrel to save the brass.

This is not something you have to have by any means, but I would recommend a 22 or 24lb recoil spring on a SS guide rod just to make sure lockup is held for as long as it should be, and to reduce frame battering. I went with a 22lb ISMI spring on a LWD Stainless Steel guide rod, and I wish I had gotten the 24lb, if that tells you anything...other guys will say a 20lb spring is enough...ymmv

www.lonewolfdist.com is where I got my barrel, but kkm and stormlake are generally though to be better quality, but they also cost more...www.gunsprings.com is where I got my recoil spring.

Feel free to ask any other questions, that is what we are here for.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 11-30-2012 at 12:03..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42   #4
edporch

Being the age of this Glock 20, I think there were some product upgrades that may need to be done?

I'd check this out by either contacting Glock, or doing your own research on this.

I'm sure there are better informed people on this list who know more details about this than I.
SAF Life Member
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:04   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Nice pickup Mace. A Glock 20 is a pretty sweet pistol. Reloading for 10mm is critical, in my opinion. I haven't bought factory range ammo for years.

I wouldn't worry about collectibility. I would shoot it and enjoy it. I have seen some Gen 2 G20s with really hogged out chambers. If yours is like that, then I would look for a barrel swap. I personally like the stock G20 barrel that is in the Gen 3 models. Others like aftermarket barrels. Some AM barrels require some fiddling with ammo and fitment to get them to run right though. The stock barrel will typically run whatever you feed it. I have no issued with brass life in mine. I do have a gen 3 barrel, so the chamber might have a different shape than yours.

I would first contact Glock. Edporch was exactly right about that. There might be some things that Glock would recommend to be replaced. I don't know.

Otherwise, shoot the thing. If the barrel is smiling your brass, replace it. I am personally not in favor of heavier springs. I have a 22# spring, but I don't like to use it. Recoil is more sharp, I am slower to follow up, and have the occasional failure to feed. Shoot it stock, then see what you find lacking.

I don't think full power 10mm is needed for concealed carry. Good ol' Win Silvertips will work fine. Mid strength. If you want to go full tilt, Underwood 165 grain GDHPs would be good. I also think the somewhat reduced pressure 180 GDHP Delta Elite load at U/W looks favorable too. Be sure to check your brass to make sure you don't have the type of chamber that smiles brass too badly.

As far a range ammo, I am no expert simply because I load all of my ammo. Georga Arms reportedly has good ammo, and their prices are ok.

Handloading for 10mm is paramount, unless you have a high level of disposable income.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:10   #6
mace85
NRA GOA USPSA

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at underwood ammo. Guess I will have to get some to try.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-30-2012, 19:40   #7
blastfact

Make sure the chamber and feed ramp aren't fubar. If good shoot it. And the better the chamber and feed ramp are the harder you can shoot it. And enjoy the 10mm.

I am one of the G20 3rd Gen shooters that won't shoot my OEM barrel. Dropped a Lone Wolf in it and haven't looked back. Me,,, I don't trust a chamber one Glock makes. I've seen way to much Glocked brass in my time to even consider them for anything but bunny fart loads.

And some Gen2 20's were shipped with fubar barrels. I've seen them and they are scary. If it's all good OEM wise then shoot the crap out of it. Don't worry about the black parts. If they concern you. New parts are dirt cheap. Just went through this with a coworker that has a black parts G23. The pistol had a good chamber and feed ramp for a Glock and still had the copper antiseize in the slide.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:41   #8
bushjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace85 View Post
I have a few questions as I am totally new to the 10mm. First, is this particular gun better off sold to a collector and a newer 20 purchased if I plan on using it as a shooter. I am not concerned with the presence of a rail, so I am not too concerned with getting a 3rd gen.
It's a glock, it's not ever going to have much collector value.
Whether to keep it or sell it depends on if you want the rail and fingergrooves or not. Since you said you don't care about the rail I'd say the lack of fingergrooves is a good thing and the Gen 2 is the better choice.

However, the G20SF model has slightly less girth from front to back in it's frame, and is only available as a gen 3 or 4. So if you find the grip a little large on your gen 2 you might look at the SF model. Note that the width is still the same..it takes the same doublestack mags.
bushjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 00:33   #9
10 fan
10 fan

I have a Gen 2 G20 from 1991 and have never had a problem. Started with full house norma loads until it was all watered down.I also have a Gen 3 G20 and see no difference in the barrel support or the brass.Hang on to your NFML (non drop free) mags,you won't find them anywhere.Most like drop free but I only carry my non drop free.
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 00:44   #10
mace85
NRA GOA USPSA

As life usually works, I get this great advice, and then get set to order ammo and an unexpected expense required me to get rid of it to a local buyer. Life's a &%$&% like that. Oh well, I can get first responder pricing, so a new 10mm will come soon enough.... Maybe 10 years after grad school ;-)

My Blog
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11   #11
oceanbob

Congrats...If you have the black internals you MUST get the free GLOCK UPGRADE; call Glock for that information. You will be sending the weapon to GLOCK and it will be returned with new internals and a new barrel.

Be sure and do that.
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:34   #12
alwaysshootin

Quote:
As life usually works, I get this great advice, and then get set to order ammo and an unexpected expense required me to get rid of it to a local buyer. Life's a &%$&% like that. Oh well, I can get first responder pricing, so a new 10mm will come soon enough.... Maybe 10 years after grad school ;-)
Wow! That was quick! Hey. Look at it on the bright side, you almost owned it a week.
Old 12-03-2012, 19:59   #13
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Hey man, I just recently got a Gen 2 G20 myself. The first thing I did was ran it over to Glock, and they replaced everything inside the pistol for free! Nice. I shot her, man she really shoots great. Shot some powder puff loads, and some DT 135 gr and man it was a blast! Awesome pistol. I carry her day and night. I have really bonded with this pistol.

Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:03   #14
mace85
NRA GOA USPSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Wow! That was quick! Hey. Look at it on the bright side, you almost owned it a week.

No ****... Well it was that or get rid of some other stuff in my collection. Quite frankly for my needs, or sentimental reasons that was the easiest one to get rid of. I am kinda disappointed though....

My Blog
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50   #15
alwaysshootin

Quote:
No ****... I am kinda disappointed though....
So am I! So am I. If you had at least shot it, I'm sure you would have found something else to get rid of in your collection.

Do a search on GT with the new 10MM owners. Most are very impressed to say the least. I get the sentimental, but dag!

Last edited by alwaysshootin; 12-04-2012 at 09:53..
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 22:57   #16
MinervaDoe

Oh well, I had to defer a lot of great purchases over the years. Be patient, collections have a way of growing over time.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 12-07-2012 at 22:59..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:18   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Sorry to hear...

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote