Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 16:20   #1
BigCheese03012

Glock 20 Light Primer Strike

Hello all, this is my first post on this site as a first time Glock owner. I recently purchased a G20 from '93 and when I trying to shoot it it would not shoot. Reason being light primer strikes. I called Glock and they told me it was probably the recoil spring so i ordered one. Upon examination of the pistol I noticed looking thru the magwell that the Trigger Bar Extension does not make contact with the Firing Pin Plunger when the trigger is pulled. My question is whether the trigger bar extension needs to press the firing pin safety plunger up in order for the firing pin to operate and hit the primer correctly. Any and all comments suggestions are greatly appreciated.
BigCheese03012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:26   #2
lethal tupperwa

is it marking the primer?

as old as it is there may be a build up of crud

stopping the firing pin from fully contacting the primer.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:30   #3
BigCheese03012

Yes it is
Old 12-08-2012, 20:17   #4
cciman

Detail strip and clean out the the firing pin channel, and the clean the striker safety, extractor components.

Check the contents of the striker pin channel while doing so: you might as well take out and check the sleeve when doing so to make sure it is not falling apart or broken (search the forums on how to do this-- i think I posted some tips for removing without damage), look at the tip of the striker.

You might want to replace the striker spring with a Wolf Xtra power striker spring to improve reliability.

Yes the trigger bar should be contacting (riding over) the safety plunger.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22   #5
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Detail strip and clean out the the firing pin channel, and the clean the striker safety, extractor components.

Check the contents of the striker pin channel while doing so: you might as well take out and check the sleeve when doing so to make sure it is not falling apart or broken (search the forums on how to do this-- i think I posted some tips for removing without damage), look at the tip of the striker.

You might want to replace the striker spring with a Wolf Xtra power striker spring to improve reliability.

Yes the trigger bar should be contacting (riding over) the safety plunger.
This.

I suspect you've gotten a Glock that was previously owned by one of those guys who thinks Glocks never need to be detail stripped or cleaned properly. They do. The safety plunger can also get so gummed up with crud that it may be stuck as well (in the upward position), which would make the gun very unsafe even if it was firing. Until it's cleaned right, you won't know what you've really got going on.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02   #6
cciman

It is also unlikely the recoil spring. But the new one will be good, since you are not the OO.
Old 12-10-2012, 16:55   #7
BigCheese03012

I got the G20 shooting; here's how. I installed a new trigger assembly. It should be noted that on the cross of my new assembly there are the numbers 4256-1, And on the old assembly it is 4256. The part on the trigger bar extension that makes contact with the striker pin safety plunger on the old trigger bar shows obvious signs of wear although most of its shape seems intact, it was not contacting the striker pin safety as well as the new trigger assembly. I'm not sure if the old trigger was discontinued or recalled or not but I plan on looking into it.
Old 12-10-2012, 21:20   #8
cciman

That's not What I would have thought without handling the gun, but good diagnosis and treatment. Congrats.
Old 12-10-2012, 22:10   #9
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
That's not What I would have thought without handling the gun, but good diagnosis and treatment. Congrats.
Previous owner might have attempted the famous 25 cent trigger job....
Old 12-11-2012, 15:16   #10
blastfact

Glad to read your G20 is running!

Now load up on quality ammo and fall in love.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g20, glock, misfire, primer