Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:50   #1
ghr1142

Dillon xl 650 press

Hello, to all that roll their own . I'm just getting into reloading again and would like to know your thoughts about the Dillon Presses and componets ? Do you have any experience with this stuff ?
Thank's
GHR1142
ghr1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Well, as far as their presses.. Frankly I don't think there's any better. The 650 is an EXCELLENT machine. It simply "just works" and is a great machine.

As for components (I'm assuming you mean scales, dies, etc.. and not primers and powder).. Again, Dillon stuff is top notch.

While there's certainly stuff out there that is high quality that is not made by Dillon... You'd be hard pressed to find something with Dillon's name on it, that is not high quality.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30   #3
fredj338

Dillon is the progressive bench mark everyone else tries to get to. Back that up with a lifetime no BS warranty, tough to beat. I've been loading on a 550 for 25yrs+ & a 650 for about 2yrs. If you must have a case feeder, the 650 is the tool. If you just want a good, simple progressive that does everything from 380 to 45-70, then the 550 is tough to beat.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-11-2012 at 12:32..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38   #4
Colorado4Wheel

You simply cannot go wrong with Dillon. Everything they make is quality.
Old 12-11-2012, 13:57   #5
ghr1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Well, as far as their presses.. Frankly I don't think there's any better. The 650 is an EXCELLENT machine. It simply "just works" and is a great machine.

As for components (I'm assuming you mean scales, dies, etc.. and not primers and powder).. Again, Dillon stuff is top notch.

While there's certainly stuff out there that is high quality that is not made by Dillon... You'd be hard pressed to find something with Dillon's name on it, that is not high quality.

IGF
Thank's IGF, for your reply,
ghr1142
ghr1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:21   #6
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
we need a big blue Kool-Aid guy smiley and I agree with Fred and Stevie... good stuff Maynard
Old 12-11-2012, 18:31   #7
CanMan

650 & 1050 here. Had them for a tad over 10 years now. Outside of a few routine adjustments they've run perfectly.
Dillon is good stuff!
S&W Club #43
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48   #8
SigFTW

You cannot go wrong with Dillon!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15   #9
scccdoc

If you can afford a Dillon................ BUY ONE !
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18   #10
ron59
Bustin Caps

I started with the 550 in mid 2009. Have 2.5 years of loading with it (close to 40k rounds), I decided to get a 650 for the casefeeder and the extra station (might get a bullet feeder one day).

Love the 650, it's all it's cracked up to be. I love not having to take my hand of the handle to insert a new piece of brass... I can just keep cranking the handle.

I kept the 550, I have it dedicated to .45ACP. I may eventually sell it and just buy the conversion for the 650, but I like having the two presses setup, can just step up and load at either one.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:22   #11
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Dillon is the stick by which all others are measured.
Reloading
Old 12-13-2012, 14:53   #12
xXGearheadXx

650 owner here...and like the others said...if you can afford one, get it.
xXGearheadXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 19:52   #13
Bello
America/Italia

I have two go for it!

Rob
Old 12-14-2012, 19:19   #14
kd8x

550b here...simply DA BEST.....
kd8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05   #15
Giddyupgo55

Never tried any other. The 650 is a great press. Thought about buying another one, and having one set up for large primers and one for small primers. Just a matter of finding the money to do it. You can't go wrong.
Giddyupgo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdwakin View Post
we need a big blue Kool-Aid guy smiley and I agree with Fred and Stevie... good stuff Maynard
It's not kool-aid to say they are the best. They simply are. Up to this point in the thread, everything about Dillon products is true.

It becomes kool-aid when people suggest that they never fail. The frequency is low, the support is unequaled, but they are not flawless.

They are also expensive. Not over-priced, but expensive. Although the SDB is a very moderately priced machine for what it does.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
It becomes kool-aid when people suggest that they never fail. The frequency is low, the support is unequaled, but they are not flawless.
Like GLocks! I here all the time how reliable yet see a lot of failures @ the IDPA level. Anything mechanical can fail, but better engineering & mat'ls. limits failure.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Most failures of any good gun are ammo related. I hear the 1911 can I even be made reliable if you get lucky or spend enough.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:30   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Like GLocks! I here all the time how reliable yet see a lot of failures @ the IDPA level. Anything mechanical can fail, but better engineering & mat'ls. limits failure.
It's probably operator error at an IDPA match. Everybody dicking around with their gun, even in a league where modifications aren't allowed, and then making 125.0001 PF to boot.

Stock Glocks work perfectly until they break. Small parts do break and they cost $3.00 to replace. There are millions of Glocks in service, and I bet 90% of the malfuntions occur on an IDPA or similar range. Or when in the hands of middle aged, clandestine operating, Blackhawk Serpa wearing, coportate middle managers at gun clubs.

But, this is true of any gun. I've seen revolvers lock up etc and I could tell just by looking at the guy holding it that it was not Smith and Wesson's fault.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 15:29   #20
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Most failures of any good gun are ammo related. I hear the 1911 can I even be made reliable if you get lucky or spend enough.

Ahh the 1911 myth continues. I have I think 6 diff 1911s, all slide lengths, steel & alloy, Springfield, Colt, S&W, none cost me more than $850. Amazingly, they all run 100% w/ good mags & decent ammo. Most 1911 problems are from guys screwing with them, like their GLock cousins, good mags & they run. Shoot the gun as designed, use good mags, it should work. The only other thing about 1911s, they like to run wetter than say a GLock. So a good gun grease & I have run mine 500rds in a single day w/ even thinking of cleaning it. Change the recoil spring mor often on the shorter slide guns, & away you go.

Last edited by fredj338; 12-16-2012 at 15:30..