Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2012, 23:29   #1
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Article in NY Times: NYPD officers not ready for shoot scenarios

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/ny...EJBYbtsVsGvncA

Big surprise there.

A concession: With 35k plus active members of service, it is a logistical sewerage flush trying to sort that training all out.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 23:31   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

and...
http://gothamist.com/2012/06/21/we_s...sk_trainin.php
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 23:39   #3
TK-421

They had 92 encounters where they discharged their weapons, and only were able to hit the object they discharged their weapon at on 28 occasions out of those 92? I don't know about you, but it seems like we need to try and get realistic training scenarios, instead of shooting at paper targets. Range shooting just can't give you the sudden adrenaline bursts and dumps that you might experience in an actual encounter. And I'm sure that totally throws off the officer's aim. It also doesn't help that I don't think they're trained enough in firearms.

Putting a magazine or two through your firearm twice a year just isn't anywhere near enough training, at least not in my mind. I think they need to go through a training course, like what they're doing in the photo in the article, twice a year, and they need to go to the range once a month. We need to do away with the adage of "carried a lot shot a little", and get them to actually train with their firearms more.

That incident at the Empire State Building, where two officers were shooting at one man, and ended up hitting 10 people, including nine totally innocent civilians should really say something about how poorly they're trained. Not only poorly trained on the use of their sidearm, but also poorly trained on how to handle the stress of being in that type of situation. There is no excuse as to why their training system is so lacking, it needs to be fixed, and it needs to be fixed before more innocent people are injured or killed.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:43   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Bob Costas used the Empire State incident to attack concealed carry. If the NYPD was like that, would us poor old civilians be any better?

NTI, TSRA, NRA,IDPA Niner #2001 Black Rifle AR-101 Wheelie 442642 L'star 101 J Snub 432
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Being an Academic Shooter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Being an Active Shooter
Glenn E. Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:08   #5
Doubletaps'Rus

Taking the shooting this summer at the Empire State building as an example, I would hate to be a bystander at any of their shoots. I was an Army MP and then a Deputy Sheriff in my misspent youth.

Most would be shocked to learn that all officers don't share our interest in all things gun. Many of them struggle to qualify each year, just like the pogues that struggle with the PT requirements.

When i saw the video of the one officer seeming to close his eyes to shoot and then whack about 5 bystanders, I nearly puked.
“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Doubletaps'Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:25   #6
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Bob Costas used the Empire State incident to attack concealed carry. If the NYPD was like that, would us poor old civilians be any better?

Considering IDPA is one of your hobbies, don't you think you'd do better? Sure, I wish cops would be better shots, but shooting a gun is a tiny portion of a cop's job - i.e. the following from today's news:

"It was the first time either officer had fired his gun while on duty, police said."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2EmESvygA
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40   #7
spcwes

Well to further put into perspective if NYPD qualified their officers twice a year with 2 boxes of ammo per qual just think of the logisitical nightmare. To keep the math easier just show 30,000 people needing to qual.... not just counting ammo but time and planning.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote