GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 16:17   #1
Coffee Dog

Fastest Incapacitation-45cal.,357sig or 40cal.?

Howdy Mas:
I own both a Sig 229 with barrels for both 40 cal. & 357 sig cal. and a 1911 sig 45 cal. all of which I shot equally well.

With your experience & police background & information you sometimes recieve from various police depts. in your humble opinion what would give me both the best & fastest incapacitation with the same (but good) shoot placement--

(1) .357sig with 125gr. Gold Dot jhp
(2) .40 cal. with Corbon 135gr. jhp
(3) .45 cal. Corbon 185+p jhp

Thank-you for what time you took to give me your opinion.
Semper Fi to My Wife & this crazy but great country
Mike
Coffee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 16:33   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Speed of incapacitation is determined largely at the recipient's end: where was he hit, how big and strong is he, how oxygenated is his brain, what's he on, and how determined is he. About all we can control with ammo selection is wound shape and volume.

Having shot animals with all three of the rounds you mentioned, and having reviewed shootings of humans with all three, I suspect you'll get slightly more wound volume with the first two. If I perceived myself likely to be in a crowded area when I needed the gun, I'd be inclined toward the Cor-Bon 135/.40; if I anticipated a need for intermediate barrier penetration, the Speer 125/.357 would seem more logical.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:44   #3
Coffee Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Speed of incapacitation is determined largely at the recipient's end: where was he hit, how big and strong is he, how oxygenated is his brain, what's he on, and how determined is he. About all we can control with ammo selection is wound shape and volume.

Having shot animals with all three of the rounds you mentioned, and having reviewed shootings of humans with all three, I suspect you'll get slightly more wound volume with the first two. If I perceived myself likely to be in a crowded area when I needed the gun, I'd be inclined toward the Cor-Bon 135/.40; if I anticipated a need for intermediate barrier penetration, the Speer 125/.357 would seem more logical.

best,
Mas
Mas, Thank-you for your detailed explanation of the pre-mentioned different caliber ammo.

Mas, I know that different state police are reporting a lightening bolt effect from the 357 sig. Have you heard or noticed the Corbon 135 traveling at 1300fps also having a lightening bolt effect? I just thought that a bigger caliber traveling at 1300fps has to have a chance in changing the channel on your intended target?

Semper Fi
Mike
Coffee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote