Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 17:06   #1
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Shoulder Holsters

Hey guys,

I'm looking to invest in a good shoulder holster. I have an Uncle Mikes that someone on here sent me, but I'm looking to get a good leather ones. Any suggestions? I've seen a bunch of Galco ones online but looking to get some help from you guys. Thanks

JAS
Old 12-17-2012, 21:35   #2
DRJ1911

I have a Galco for my HK's. It works very well and is very well made but I don't use it much I prefer belt carry.

Doyle
DRJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 21:51   #3
HexHead

I have a Galco Jackass I like a lot. Very comfortable and conceals well under a jacket or hoodie.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 22:22   #4
yellowhand

My wife just bought me a Glaco Jackass rig off Amazon for 121.00 total to the door, great shoulder rig.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06   #5
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Whats the difference between the Jackass and the Miami or Miami II? I cant see any notable difference online
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14   #6
ranger1968

The Miami Classic has a little more coverage than the Jackass, and the Miami II has an open top mag carrier instead of the enclosed mag pouches .

Get the Miami Classic, it's the best of the three.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21   #7
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

My choice in shoulder holsters is "The Undertaker" by High Noon. Well worth serious consideration www.highnoonholsters.com
Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21   #8
Rio Vista Slim

Send a message via MSN to Rio Vista Slim
I own both the High Noon Holsters "Undertaker" and a Galco Jackass Shoulder rig.

Carry Issues
High Noon Holster "Undertaker" w/ Colt Commander.

Carry Issues
Galco Jackass Shoulder Holsters w/Colt Commander.

Both of these shoulder holsters are extremely comfortable, and each allows me to cant the pistol in a slightly grip-down configuration. Of the two, I probably wear the Galco a bit more, although I only wear shoulder rigs in extremely cold weather, as a cover garment is absolutely mandatory, and it doesn't get that cold here in my part of Texas.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
Rio Vista Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20   #9
KentuckyPatriot
No BS Here!

There is a website that escapes me at the moment which shows a double-holster rig for carrying 2 j-frames.

A buddy of mine introduced me to his Galco rig that he put together which allowed him to carry two j-frames. I liked it so much that I bought the pieces and assembled my own rig and bought a new j-frame to fill the package.

Depending on what size firearm you want to carry you can do so under a tucked in shirt. Dark colors or patterns will help break up any outline, but with my size and the j-frame size I can conceal under a typical dress shirt.

No hugging allowed!
Gen 4: G22, G27; Gen 3: G23, G26, G30s;J-Frames: Model 60 and M&P 340; S&W Bodyguard 380 x2; Ruger LC9 with Laserguard
KentuckyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51   #10
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim View Post
I own both the High Noon Holsters "Undertaker" and a Galco Jackass Shoulder rig.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Both of these shoulder holsters are extremely comfortable, and each allows me to cant the pistol in a slightly grip-down configuration. Of the two, I probably wear the Galco a bit more, although I only wear shoulder rigs in extremely cold weather, as a cover garment is absolutely mandatory, and it doesn't get that cold here in my part of Texas.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures, they really helped
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53   #11
JAS104
NRA Life Member

I ended up buying the Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster in brown from Cabelas. $154.99 with free shipping. Will let you guys know
Old 12-19-2012, 13:09   #12
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
I ended up buying the Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster in brown from Cabelas. $154.99 with free shipping. Will let you guys know
I used this one in the military and it work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 13:47   #13
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
I used this one in the military and it work well.

How concealable is it?
Old 12-19-2012, 14:03   #14
xmanhockey7

Galco Miami Classic for me. To answer the conceal-ability question I'd say it depends on what you wear and what gun you carry. If I wear a button up short sleeve shirt I can't carry my Glock 22 while seated because it tends to poke out quite a bit. But if I carry my Springfield XDm 3.8c that is not an issue at all. Also if I put on even a light jacket the G22 disappears in all situations.
Old 12-19-2012, 14:35   #15
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
How concealable is it?
It was mandatory we wore it outside our uniform while working in the armory and control center. It work well for me in that circumstance. On conceal ability it depends on the persons size, dress, what strap adjustments they make and gun type. We carried a full size Beretta 92 and it would not have work well for conceal carry for me however we did have some people who in did conceal it in civilian clothes fine.

We also had an Uncle Mikes one to test as a cheaper alternative because we were starting to have more of our budget go into other areas. The Uncle Mikes one was last scene in the corner under some table in a heap of dust.

GSSF Member

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 12-19-2012 at 14:42..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 18:21   #16
SCmasterblaster

I have a shoulder holster for my G17. I may use it soon.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-23-2012 at 18:22..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 14:46   #17
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Galco set the standard for shoulder rigs. The MC is best, but the MCII and Jackass are excellent as well. Uncle Mike's Pro Pac shoulder rig is the worst excuse for a shoulder rig I have ever encountered, and I've tried a bunch. Shoulder rigs are rarely a go-to holster except in cold climates, or when doing a great deal of driving. The most common mistake by folks new to shoulder rigs is to adjust the rig (or fail to adjust the rig) so that the gun is closer to the belt than the armpit. As high into the armpit as is comfortable is the proper adjustment, lending to greater stability, concealment, and reduction of sway or travel of the harness when the user bends over or to the side. Unless you want your shoulder rig to also function as suspenders, tie downs are normally not necessary. The VHS is a great galco product as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 17:29   #18
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Galco set the standard for shoulder rigs. The MC is best, but the MCII and Jackass are excellent as well. Uncle Mike's Pro Pac shoulder rig is the worst excuse for a shoulder rig I have ever encountered, and I've tried a bunch. Shoulder rigs are rarely a go-to holster except in cold climates, or when doing a great deal of driving. The most common mistake by folks new to shoulder rigs is to adjust the rig (or fail to adjust the rig) so that the gun is closer to the belt than the armpit. As high into the armpit as is comfortable is the proper adjustment, lending to greater stability, concealment, and reduction of sway or travel of the harness when the user bends over or to the side. Unless you want your shoulder rig to also function as suspenders, tie downs are normally not necessary. The VHS is a great galco product as well.
I'm glad someone said that tie downs weren't entirely necessary. I've been told time and time again GET TIE DOWNS so its nice to think I have a complete rig on the way to me and I dont need to go back, buy tie downs, wait 3-5 days, then have a complete holster, hah.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 18:23   #19
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim View Post

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
Very nice-looking rigs.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25   #20
BADOS

Have had my Galco "Jackass" for 20 years. Great holster, high quality, wears really well and is comfortable.
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry options, owb, shoulder holsters