SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 23:12   #21
bobtheelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMag View Post
Critical thinking these days demands the recognition that Christians are NOT the enemy regardless of your beliefs. BTW, everyone believes in something.

Discuss.

Certainly not. People who wish to dictate how others must live their lives, and who wish to dictate morality to others; those are the problem.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07   #22
muscogee

Quote:
Critical thinking these days demands the recognition that Christians are NOT the enemy regardless of your beliefs. BTW, everyone believes in something.

Discuss.

Christians are the enemy of critical thinking.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19   #23
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Christians are the enemy of critical thinking.
This! They're also the enemy of education and progress.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:41   #24
JMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
This! They're also the enemy of education and progress.
No, just enemies of indoctrination in secular humanism and progressIVE drivel.

Thanks for playing!

JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:15   #25
NMG26

Quote:

Thanks for playing!

Well then you are saying that Christians are the enemy of certain ways of thinking.

The sad part is that Christians don't realize the effect this has on world. I was taught to separate myself from the world, as a fundamentalist Christian. The effects of separation still are with me. It took a long time to really get over that self-defeating philosophy.

Last edited by NMG26; 12-07-2012 at 17:16..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:18   #26
JMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Well then you are saying that Christians are the enemy of certain ways of thinking.

The sad part is that Christians don't realize the effect this has on world. I was taught to separate myself from the world, as a fundamentalist Christian. The effects of separation still are with me. It took a long time to really get over that self-defeating philosophy.
Certain "ways of thinking" are the antithesis to Christianity; secular humanism being but one.
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:25   #27
NMG26

Quote:
Certain "ways of thinking" are the antithesis to Christianity; secular humanism being but one.
Christian fundamentalists teach that the world is evil.

This way of thinking is damaging to the psyche of people. I grew up thinking the world was evil and Jesus was going to take us out of this evil world. It is in no way a healthy way to think.

Old 12-07-2012, 17:40   #28
muscogee

Quote:

Thanks for playing!

How do you square critical thinking with beliefs that can't possible be true? Doublethink?

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:43   #29
token5gtd

Not just christians, religion as a whole is the enemy here.
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 18:54   #30
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by token5gtd View Post
Not just christians, religion as a whole is the enemy here.

Gods don't kill people. People with gods kill people.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06   #31
dave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post

Gods don't kill people. People with gods kill people.
That's fantastic! It would be much funnier though if it weren't absolutely true.
G1Niner's Club #343

"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54   #32
scccdoc

How are Christians the enemy?

Jim Elliot
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13   #33
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
How are Christians the enemy?
The enemey of what might be a better question.

Christians are taught that they are in a constant spiritual battle with a diligent enemy.

On many levels the Christian is taught that the rest of the world (non-christian world) is the enemy.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22   #34
scccdoc

Quote:
The enemey of what might be a better question.

Christians are taught that they are in a constant spiritual battle with a diligent enemy.

On many levels the Christian is taught that the rest of the world (non-christian world) is the enemy.
Not entirely correct in my opinion. Who taught you this?This is what the Bible says.............

Ephesians 6 :11, 12. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Again, how am I an enemy?

Jim Elliot
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31   #35
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Christian fundamentalists teach that the world is evil.

This way of thinking is damaging to the psyche of people. I grew up thinking the world was evil and Jesus was going to take us out of this evil world. It is in no way a healthy way to think.
Exactly right. I've encountered to many theistic people where their christian worldview has become a source of enablement for their dysfunction. Why focus on getting your "worldly" life in order when you believe it to be only a transient stage. Instead of taking responsibility for their situation now, they daydream about some future life where their mythical deity will take care of everything for them.

Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50   #36
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Exactly right. I've encountered to many theistic people where their christian worldview has become a source of enablement for their dysfunction.
And this doesn't occur in the atheist worldview? No dysfunctional atheists?

Quote:
Instead of taking responsibility for their situation now
So you're saying "no Christians" take responsibility for their situation now? C'mon Geko, you know better than to make a statement like that.

Quote:
they daydream
I understand your disbelief, but is it necessary for you to demean my beliefs as "daydream". Certainly you are more articulate than resorting to childish banter. But then again it seems to be the norm for this forum..............too bad.

Jim Elliot
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52   #37
Blast
'nuff said

Don't bother wasting your time, scccdoc. The resident atheists here are delusional. They have a chronic obsession with slinging crap at religion, especially Christians.
They ignore the fact that far more atrocities throughtout history have been due to secular reasons. Human nature is the cause. Human nature has corrupted religion just as it has corrupted science. Science has achieved many great things, but it also has a dark side. How many ways to destroy life is rooted in science? Nuclear/bio/chemical weapons is a good start. But noooo... you can't tell that to an emotionally disturbed atheist. They will try to find a way to blame Christians. Twist, distort, misrepresent, lie, whatever it takes to give them some sort of satisfaction. False as it is.
They think they're accomplishing something, but they can delude themselves all they want, they continue to fail.
I could go on for hours on secular humanism about wars, murders, mass shootings, and a long list of corrupt and criminal activities none of which are connected to Christians, Jews, and even Muslims.

This pretty much illustrates the attitude some here

Old 12-19-2012, 12:54   #38
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
And this doesn't occur in the atheist worldview? No dysfunctional atheists?
Never said that, of course there are dysfunctional atheists. They are just less likely to use their worldview as a crutch for their dysfunction.

Quote:
So you're saying "no Christians" take responsibility for their situation now? C'mon Geko, you know better than to make a statement like that.
I do know better than that, which is why I didn't say it. I said that I've known to many that don't take responsibility. That's very different than saying none do.

Quote:
I understand your disbelief, but is it necessary for you to demean my beliefs as "daydream". Certainly you are more articulate than resorting to childish banter. But then again it seems to be the norm for this forum..............too bad.
I'm sorry that you take offense, but the word is used in the correct context. It's all just an elaborate fairytale, myth, daydream, self-delusion, whatever you want to call it. It describes events and occurances that are known to not be possible in this world. It is no different than any other myth system of present or past history. Believing in it strongly does not change that.

Last edited by Geko45; 12-19-2012 at 13:01..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 13:25   #39
9jeeps
Fogey

So why do so many unbelievers call out to our God when there is a big tragedy in theirs and others lives? Or fear reigns in their minds?

EXAMPLES:
Oh my God!!,
Jesus Christ!
God Almighty!
God damn you!
Send me some prayers I, my family, my friend, Buddy, our country, my dog; cat; kid, loved one, adnauseum, need prayers so badly!

Sorry people, you betray yourselves. When you are in your weakness everyone of you call on the most powerful name you can speak to relieve you of your drama.

I see it here all the time and have even called a few on thier abusive language a time or two.

Some of you use Angels, some, with dropped wings. Aren't these a Christian symbol? How many of you wear Crosses and know not what that even means?

C'mon now boys and girls lets play fair.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 15:05   #40
NMG26

Quote:
Not entirely correct in my opinion. Who taught you this?This is what the Bible says.............

Ephesians 6 :11, 12. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Again, how am I an enemy?
I was raised in an independent fundamentalist Baptist Church. I remember in grade school being taught about Noah and the ark, and that God would soon do the same thing to the world of the unsaved when Jesus returned, and then singing "I wish we'd all been ready".

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

If you are taught what the Bible teaches, then you separate yourself from the world.

Religion separates. Always has, and always will.

The chosen people are not going to burn with the rest of world at God's vengeance. Save yourself. That is how it reads and that is how it is taught.