SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 18:38   #41
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I've ran 9.7gr Longshot w/175gr Silvertip and I think it got me close to, if not over 1300 fps from the stock G20sf.
I saw diminishing return with LS between 9.0 - 9.3gr for 180gr, using CCI 350. I'd target 9.0gr essentially reserving 0.3gr for error which is unlikely to be > 0.1 gr.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:29   #42
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
I saw diminishing return with LS between 9.0 - 9.3gr for 180gr, using CCI 350. I'd target 9.0gr essentially reserving 0.3gr for error which is unlikely to be > 0.1 gr.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
In my experience with LS, there is a point of diminishing returns at 9.2-9.5gr when working up 180gr bullets ... and at 8.2gr-8.6gr with 200gr workups... You can get over the "hump" but none of us have pressure equipment so make your own deductions.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:22   #43
arthury

Beyond published peak

One thing to bear in mind when exploring loads beyond the published max in manuals is to go back to the concept of the Pressure/Time curve; whereby the y-axis is the pressure and the x-axis is the time.

The curve of the powder with respect to a cartridge should be pretty similar under the same dimensions. Beyond the known peak pressure, things tend to be non-linear.

That's where things become hairy and unpredictable. So, be careful.

Last edited by arthury; 11-29-2012 at 18:23..
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:29   #44
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShooter View Post
Im finally gonna work up some full power 10mm handloads for my stock Gen3 20. Ive previously only done FBI loads and 40's for my KKM Precision barrel.
Id like to get 1300fps with 180gr Gold Dots and XTP, and 1200fps with 200gr XTP and FMJ. These are max or near max loads from Speer #12 and Hornady #4 manuals.
Would I be ok with the stock barrel / recoil spring assembly, or should I get an aftermarket barrel/rsa right from the start? Im concerned about the brass smiles and havin a strong enough spring to prevent battering.
Im asking because these are max loads from the manuals, but milder than some loads ive seen suggested. Thx for the help.
For max loads get a good aftermarket barrel. I went through two glock barrels on my g 20. Finally got a Barstow and never had smiley since. Do not like Glock barrels or would use one. Better barrels out there
Old 12-18-2012, 18:46   #45
BenKeith

I load Blue Dot with standard CCI primers and 180 grain Golden Sabers for my PD load. With the Glock barrel, they average 1260 fps, with the 6" LW barrel they average 1350 fps. I will not say how much Blue Dot because there's not a book in the country that's going to show a load with as much as I'm using. I also use a 22 lb spring with them. I've shot approx 100 of these loads, spread out over different temps and weather conditions and feel pretty confident they are good for a full clip if needed but it's not a load I would pratice with. I only load these in new brass and not sure how much the gun could handle it over the long term. Primer's and brass still look good after firing but they do have a little recoil.

180 is as heavy as I've loaded, so can't say for
BenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 20:16   #46
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKeith View Post
I load Blue Dot with standard CCI primers and 180 grain Golden Sabers for my PD load. With the Glock barrel, they average 1260 fps, with the 6" LW barrel they average 1350 fps. I will not say how much Blue Dot because there's not a book in the country that's going to show a load with as much as I'm using. I also use a 22 lb spring with them. I've shot approx 100 of these loads, spread out over different temps and weather conditions and feel pretty confident they are good for a full clip if needed but it's not a load I would pratice with. I only load these in new brass and not sure how much the gun could handle it over the long term. Primer's and brass still look good after firing but they do have a little recoil.

I'd say 11.2-11.5gr would make your stated vels... nice load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 12-18-2012, 20:22   #47
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:

Just a guess, but I imagine that those loads burn pretty clean at those pressures. Blue Dot cleans up nicely the more you stoke the furnace. Pretty loud report too, I would bet!

I haven't quite worked up to your velocities, but I have fed my G20 quite a few 180 XTPs @ 1215 fps with Blue Dot. My loads were "on book" though. Nick is probably correct with his charge weight prognostication.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 21:02   #48
BenKeith

You're good, ll.4. Going by pressure signs, or lack of, I might could go a little more, but why push it and beat the crap out of the gun. It that load won't stop em, I need a lot bigger gun, not just a hotter load.

Yes, they burn extremely clean. When I first started loading for it, I was told Blue Dot was a very dirty powder. I was actually suprised how clean it burns after reading all the comments about BD.

Last edited by BenKeith; 12-19-2012 at 21:07..
BenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 21:08   #49
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
You're good, ll.4. Going by pressure signs, or lack of, I might could go a little more, but why push it and beat the crap out of the gun. It that load won't stop em, I need a lot bigger gun, not just a hotter load.

Yes, they burn extremely clean. When I first started loading for it, I was told Blue Dot was a very dirty powder. I was actually suprised how clean it burns after reading all the comments about BD.
Agreed, find a load in your power range preference then re-work up the load for ACCURACY .. :-)

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28   #50
storm2844

Hi i have a question i have a new gen3 g20 (completely stock) i went to the range the other day with some reloads
180g xtp's
9.2g longshot
Win brass
Wlp primers
They were moving at 1340fps through my crony 9.4g longshot gave about the same. 9.2 had no over pressure signs at all 9.4 had some scratches on the case and burr on the head were the extractor goes.
Does this velocity sound right to you guys? Overpressure?
I checked my chony with a known load and all was good.
Thanks
storm2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 19:51   #51
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm2844 View Post
Hi i have a question i have a new gen3 g20 (completely stock) i went to the range the other day with some reloads
180g xtp's
9.2g longshot
Win brass
Wlp primers
They were moving at 1340fps through my crony 9.4g longshot gave about the same. 9.2 had no over pressure signs at all 9.4 had some scratches on the case and burr on the head were the extractor goes.
Thanks
That load runs quite a bit slower in my G20 (1180 fps), but it is otherwise a decent load with no indications of excessive pressure.

I wonder if you mean where the ejector goes? Scratches, nicks and dings are normal. A warm load smacks into the ejector pretty hard. The case then can bang the corner of the slide on its way out. A photo or two, or at least a bit better desription of the burrs and scratches can let us know for sure.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04   #52
TDC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm2844 View Post
180g xtp's
9.2g longshot
Win brass
Wlp primers
Thanks
I used 9.3gr with a CCI#300 primer and a 1.255" OAL and got around 1250fps with the stock barrel and a 22lb spring. So, you're definitely hotter with the WLP's and your lot of Longshot. You didn't mention your OAL, so that could have an effect on the velocity/pressure. The ejector burrs are normal when you've reached full power. I agree with what Taterhead said, I think it has more to do with slide velocity from hot loads than anything else.

Personally, I wouldn't go any higher with your lot of Longshot, since you are getting excellent performance where you are at. You may have to back off a little if you start seeing Glocksmiles.

I measure pressure using case head expansion. My somewhat arbitrary case head expansion limit standard had me stop at 1295fps from the stock G20 barrel, but with CCI#300 primers and my lot of Longshot. The powder charge was higher than yours.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10   #53
storm2844

Cool thank you guys for all the info my col is 1.250 i actually downloaded it quite a bit to 8.8g and a col of 1.255 i gotta make it out to the range here to try them. I wanted to keep the velocity under 1300fps 1240-1260 is actually what i was shooting for. I want to keep the gun stock except i have a 20lb wolff recoil spring comming in. I want to be able to shoot everything reliably.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36   #54
storm2844

Has anyone swapped out 180g xtp's for 180g gold dots using the same powder and charge etc... What were your findings? (I know i should always do work up.)
Old 12-26-2012, 21:10   #55
blastfact

I really need to get me some Long shot. I've pushed Blue Dot to it's max.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51   #56
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

If you don't mind handweighing IMR800X is what Underwood is using in all of his performance 10mm cartridges.
You can read more about his loadings here; http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10m...5155165180220/
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 17:11   #57
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShooter View Post
Im finally gonna work up some full power 10mm handloads for my stock Gen3 20. Ive previously only done FBI loads and 40's for my KKM Precision barrel.
Id like to get 1300fps with 180gr Gold Dots and XTP, and 1200fps with 200gr XTP and FMJ. These are max or near max loads from Speer #12 and Hornady #4 manuals.
Would I be ok with the stock barrel / recoil spring assembly, or should I get an aftermarket barrel/rsa right from the start? Im concerned about the brass smiles and havin a strong enough spring to prevent battering.
Im asking because these are max loads from the manuals, but milder than some loads ive seen suggested. Thx for the help.
It is just my opinion, but max loads I would use a fully supported aftermarket barrel. 200 gr XTP and 13.0 grains of AA#9 would smile in a Glock barrel. I never use a Glock barrel in my G20. Had too many smileys even with some factory ammo