SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2012, 16:25   #26
bobtheelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
Every new gun I ever bought at the gun shop had a flyer of the 4 rules of gun safety.
If I worked in a gun shop, I would just as a matter of good practice make sure all my customers knew how to handle a gun safely. I just think it's the right thing to do.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 16:26   #27
TheExplorer

If it wasn't a constitutional right, I'd say we should, just like a driver's license. However it is, so we should not.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 16:34   #28
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant View Post
To own a firearm and keep it at your home, perhaps not. But I'd be fine with training or testing as a requirement for concealed carry. I believe some states have this in place.
Mrs Brady, is that you?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Old 12-23-2012, 16:45   #29
.45Super-Man

Well, how many regulations and contingencies does it take to alter the definition of your freedom and liberty?
Old 12-23-2012, 16:54   #30
countrygun

It wouldn't have any effect on the crimes that catch attention and as a safety issue I don't see a major problem mandatory training would fix. My LGS doe as excellent job on that without being regulated and, again, I can't find the problem this would solve.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:18   #31
Simpleman71

I took a basic and advance concealed carry course. Not only does it help with weapon proficiency, they keep me updated on local and state carry laws. I also shoot uspsa and train at a local outdoor range 3 times a month. I have seen some people handling firearms at ranges that have no business in doing so. Not everyone is cut out to handle the responsibility to conceal carry a deadly weapon.
Simpleman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:20   #32
spork
Caffeinator

Take a test or a government approved class in order to access and practice my constitutional rights?

No, absolutely not.
Old 12-23-2012, 17:28   #33
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn72 View Post
Im sure ill get some negitive responses, but due to the fact that most people are just plain stupid without an ounce of common sense, should we require some form of real traing/testing to own firearms?? Mabye even just a simple iq test. Sorry but ive seen a lifetimes worth of stupid in the past week at the range and lgs.
We haven't needed any since they were invented and the objections the liberals have to them are based on criminals and crazies, so I don't really see the point in a self-imposed and unnecessary regulation of our own.

As you said, people are stupid - a class isn't going to help.

Last edited by Bren; 12-23-2012 at 17:30..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:37   #34
Atlas
transmogrifier

"Mandatory training.."
Do you mean that if I don't receive the training I cannot own a gun?

What part do you not understand of:

"it's my fundamental right to own a firearm, a right enumerated in and protected by the Constitution of the United States" ?

....... where the hell do these people come from, anyway???

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:45   #35
RussP

No....

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:45   #36
M&P15T
Beard One

I'm just gonna ask one question, and not post any replies. I've already been involved in another scrum over basically this same topic, so I really am not interested in arguing anymore.

If anti-gun legislation is on the horizon, and it's something we absolutely can't avoid, is there any compromises we should consider, rather than getting absolutely crushed?

My thought is that our elected officials are getting pounded with phone calls, e-mails and letters demanding anti-gun legislation, from folks that normally don't care one way or another about gun-control, but are very upset by what happened in CT.

It's possible that if we could find a compromise that settles-down all those people that are upset over the Sandy Hook shooting, the anti-gun legislators would lose their political momentum, and therefore their ability to pass really restrictive anti-gun legislation.

Any ideas on possible compromises that would calm down all those folks that are raising cane with their elected representatives? Just to avoid any truly damaging anti-gun legislation?

A lesser of two evils so to speak?

I have this mental image of gun-control debates on the House and Senate floors, and the anti-gunners bringing in Mothers and Fathers of the children that were killed at Sandy Hook to support their anti-gun legislation.

That would be really bad.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-23-2012 at 17:54..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 17:51   #37
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
If anti-gun legislation is on the horizon, and it's something we absolutely can't avoid, is there any compromises we should consider, rather than getting absolutely crushed?
ANY taxation or permit requirement serves legally to re-define your 2a-protected RIGHT to keep and bear arms as a privilege.

Do you understand what that means?
A privilege is the legal opposite of a right.

An activity, such as owning firearms, cannot be both a fundamental individual right and be a privilege.
It's one or it's the other.

If the state can impose control over an activity, any control such as imposing a tax, or requiring a license or permit, then that activity is, at law, a privilege.

I have a RIGHT to own firearms.
I will not compromise that right.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 12-23-2012 at 17:51..
Old 12-23-2012, 17:51   #38
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I'm just gonna ask one question, and not post any replies. I've already been involved in another scrum over basically this same topic, so I really am not interested in arguing anymore.

My thought is that our elected officials are getting pounded with phone calls, e-mails and letters demanding anti-gun legislation, from folks that normally don't care one way or another about gun-control, but are very upset by what happened in CT.

It's possible that if we could find a compromise that settles-down all those people that are freaking out over the Sandy Hook shooting, the anti-gun legislators would lose their political momentum, and therefore their ability to pass really restrictive anti-gun legislation.

Any ideas on how we could slow-down looming anti-gun legislation? Any ideas on possible compromises that would calm down all those folks that are raising cane with their elected representatives? Just to avoid any truly damaging anti-gun legislation?

A lesser of two evils so to speak?
M&P15T, that is way off the topic of this thread.

Let's confine that discussion to its original thread
Gun show loop hole?? also here in GNG.

Do not troll and hijack another thread on a totally different topic.

Old 12-23-2012, 18:01   #39
eagle359

May I offer this idea. You go through a reasonable national training course. At the end you get a "purchasing card" that allows you to make a purchase without a NICS check and it serves as a national carry permit that ALL states and CITIES must honor.
Old 12-23-2012, 18:05   #40
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle359 View Post
May I offer this idea. You go through a reasonable national training course. At the end you get a "purchasing card" that allows you to make a purchase without a NICS check and it serves as a national carry permit that ALL states and CITIES must honor.
Sure, as long as completion of that training course is not a legal requirement to my purchasing or owning a firearm.

Old 12-23-2012, 18:06   #41
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleman71 View Post
I took a basic and advance concealed carry course. Not only does it help with weapon proficiency, they keep me updated on local and state carry laws. I also shoot uspsa and train at a local outdoor range 3 times a month. I have seen some people handling firearms at ranges that have no business in doing so. Not everyone is cut out to handle the responsibility to conceal carry a deadly weapon.
And Wayne LaPierre isn't qualified to speak on behalf of the NRA, what's your point?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Last edited by kenpoprofessor; 12-23-2012 at 18:50..
kenpoprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:29   #42
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleman71 View Post
I took a basic and advance concealed carry course. Not only does it help with weapon proficiency, they keep me updated on local and state carry laws.
I did the same exact thing voluntarily, as it should be. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:32   #43
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
M&P15T, that is way off the topic of this thread.

Let's confine that discussion to its original thread
Gun show loop hole?? also here in GNG.

Do not troll and hijack another thread on a totally different topic.
You may not be much to look at, but you are good people

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:39   #44
el_jewapo

New rule.

To own a firearm, you must be able to hit a shiny new penny at 100 yards with this snub nose .22 revolver.

Some people may laugh at that, I say try getting a marijuana tax stamp.

ETA: That's not something I wish to see. Just saying that's the can of worms that would be opened if you had to get some kind of government mandated training. Felt the need to clarify, lest I be labeled anti gun.

Last edited by el_jewapo; 12-23-2012 at 18:45..
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:41   #45
Scotsman

The objection is simple...

"We just passed a bill mandating this great new training program. It's cheap, only $100 and 8 hours of time, and will make us all safer!"

Some time later...

"We've found that the costs of the class are higher than expected, so we need to up the price to $500."

Some time later...

"We've consolidated training sites and lowered the number of trained instructors in order to better standardize the regimen. Also, considering the the amount of gun deaths we still have in this country we will be upping the training time to 40 hours. Classes will now only be available in the capitol of your state and training fees have necessarily been raised to $1000."

Now, who gets to exercise their constitutional rights?

syn: liberal, progressive
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:43   #46
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
New rule.

To own a firearm, you must be able to hit a shiny new penny at 100 yards with this snub nose .22 revolver.

Some people may laugh at that, I say try getting a marijuana tax stamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post

"We just passed a bill mandating this great new training program. It's cheap, only $100 and 8 hours of time, and will make us all safer!"

Some time later...

"We've found that the costs of the class are higher than expected, so we need to up the price to $500."

Some time later...

"We've consolidated training sites and lowered the number of trained instructors in order to better standardize the regimen. Also, considering the the amount of gun deaths we still have in this country we will be upping the training time to 40 hours. Classes will now only be available in the capitol of your state and training fees have necessarily been raised to $1000."

Exactly.

Old 12-23-2012, 18:44   #47
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post

Some time later...

Some time later...

That sounds about right...

Old 12-23-2012, 19:02   #48
oldman11

That really isn't going to be help to the school shootings as most of these people don't buy the guns used, they steal them. These people that steal them have absolutely no formal training on their use, but they sure know how to handle them anyway, don't they?
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 19:23   #49
kiole

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I think we've allowed enough infringement on our rights.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 19:30   #50
eagle359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Sure, as long as completion of that training course is not a legal requirement to my purchasing or owning a firearm.
Not a problem for me.

I am 62 years old. I have been through the '68 GCA forward. Every time the Feds tighten the screws just a bit more. The big court said we could have them. So why do not they STFU and stay in DC if they feel safe there.