Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33   #81
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia186 View Post
Isn't that generally what people believe?
If so, that makes them hypocrites. If they obey God's law when it's convenient and ignore it the rest of the time, then their beliefs have no credibility. All one has to do to ignore God's law is declare a state of war. War on poverty, war on drugs, the list goes on ad infinitum. All things can justify war and war can justify all things.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34   #82
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle:
If you can't deal with that without changing the subject, just admit it.
Quote:
inertia186:
What if I'm really not changing the subject? What if there is a valid rationale?
Deal with the subject at hand or admit you can't handle it.
Using war to justify your god's approval of slavery won't work.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23   #83
inertia186
Member
 
inertia186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Using war to justify your god's approval of slavery won't work.
Actually, that's how all of the nations went about it, not just the Hebrew nation. If you didn't enslave your enemies, you had to kill them. The alternative was to allow their culture to invade after the war was over.

Your critique of God is that He didn't use an anachronistic approach to break into human history.
inertia186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53   #84
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Quote:
Posted by inertia186:
Your critique of God is that He didn't use an anachronistic approach to break into human history.
Nope. My problem (well, one of them) with the god of the OT is that he didn't tell his people to stop slavery. He certainly could have done that, but he didn't. He told them how to conduct slavery.

He never said slavery was undesirable. He never said there was anything wrong with buying and selling people, breaking up families or killing slaves as long as it was done according to his rules.

Are you defending his advice on slavery? Do you think the Hebrews should have followed his laws and continued to be slave owners?
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:59   #85
inertia186
Member
 
inertia186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Are you defending his advice on slavery? Do you think the Hebrews should have followed his laws and continued to be slave owners?
Do you have the same critique of the US Constitution?
inertia186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:52   #86
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Tell the truth, 186, are you under 14 years of age? Do you seriously think the adults here can’t tell when you have no answers and constantly try to change the subject so you won’t have to admit it?
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 23:40   #87
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia186 View Post
Do you have the same critique of the US Constitution?
I don't recall anyone claiming either the US Constitution or the men who composed it were inerrant.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:04   #88
inertia186
Member
 
inertia186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
I don't recall anyone claiming either the US Constitution or the men who composed it were inerrant.
Inerrancy is not at issue. Merely, is it valid to throw out an entire document that includes instructions that modern eyes view as objectionable? Or does that document have some concessions that are consistent for the time and place they were written?
inertia186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:10   #89
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
I don't recall anyone claiming either the US Constitution or the men who composed it were inerrant.
Inertia186 has never said that the Bible was inerrant. That is a fundamentalist belief. He did lead with fundamentalist doctrine, but does not seem to be able to argue it. A good thing really.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:13   #90
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia186 View Post
Inerrancy is not at issue.
The forum is "I believe".

So what do you say.

What do you believe about the Bible?
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:57   #91
inertia186
Member
 
inertia186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
The forum is "I believe".

So what do you say.

What do you believe about the Bible?
I believe inerrancy, but as I said, that's not being debated.
inertia186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31   #92
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Inertia186 is in a tough spot. He (?) wants to believe the Bible in inerrant, but he can’t defend his god’s support of slavery. His only recourse is to do his best to avoid discussing that – and who can blame him – and discuss anything else.

Now, he says he believes in inerrancy, but won’t debate it. No wonder. Debating inerrancy would just lead him back to defending slavery.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48   #93
Lowjiber
Senior Member
 
Lowjiber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
I thought it might be beneficial to have a thread for users to delineate their beliefs without addition of supporting evidence (or lack there of).
I believe that a Religious Issues Forum does not belong on a gun forum.
__________________
G'day and G'lock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44   #94
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Inertia186 has never said that the Bible was inerrant. That is a fundamentalist belief. He did lead with fundamentalist doctrine, but does not seem to be able to argue it. A good thing really.
How does one decide what parts are in error and which parts aren't? It seems to me that it comes down to personal opinion. If one's personal opinion is the criteria, they why does one need the Bible to decide right and wrong?
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12   #95
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26;
Inertia186 has never said that the Bible was inerrant.
See post #91.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34   #96
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Beliefs can be based on fact or fiction. Belief in the supernatural has to be based on fiction. If there was factual evidence evidence for the supernatural, then it wouldn't be supernatural.

There is factual evidence for gravity, evolution, and so on. There's no factual evidence for a supernatural being. Since there's no factual evidence at the moment, the logical conclusion is that one does not exists.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 01-02-2013 at 10:47..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21   #97
inertia186
Member
 
inertia186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
... he canít defend his godís support of slavery.
*concession of slavery
inertia186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:00   #98
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Quote:
*concession of slavery
A distinction without a difference.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:49   #99
ArrowJ
Senior Member
 
ArrowJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
A distinction without a difference.
Is it safe to say you never make concessions for things you find abhorrent?
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:57   #100
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 966
Quote:
Posted by ArrowJ:
Is it safe to say you never make concessions for things you find abhorrent?
Yes. There are, for instance, no circumstances under which I would make concessions for slavery.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 900
293 Members
607 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31