Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2012, 19:25   #1
RPVG

Polishing?

Was watching a Glock teardown on YouTube. The guy doing the video (wish I saved the link) recommended polishing a lot of the metal parts before reassembling. He mentioned some polish he likes and the polishing pad he has for his Dremel. Smoother action, he said. Less friction all around.

Makes sense. At least theoretical sense. But does it make any actual sense? Do any of you do this? Can you notice any difference -- besides the pride you feel packin' such a pretty boy?

Not planning on doing it. Just never really thought about. Wondering what others think and do.
Old 12-20-2012, 19:45   #2
patrickkpm

You will find a lot of threads on the 50c polish job on this forum.
To summarize: if you use your gun for self defense, DO NOT do any of these polishing job. If you use your gun only at the range, and will never carry it for self defense, you can play with minor polishing, but be aware that many reported having over done it and then reduced the safety of the gun.

Last edited by patrickkpm; 12-20-2012 at 19:46..
patrickkpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 21:20   #3
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickkpm View Post
To summarize: if you use your gun for self defense, DO NOT do any of these polishing job. If you use your gun only at the range, and will never carry it for self defense, you can play with minor polishing, but be aware that many reported having over done it and then reduced the safety of the gun.
Wow! I'm surprised it makes that much difference!

FWIW, when it comes to maintenance and stuff like that, I do what Glock recommends. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Old 12-20-2012, 22:13   #4
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickkpm View Post
I think it's the 25 cent trigger job http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/
I guess it just went up 25 cents,must be inflation. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:13   #5
glock_collector

Polish a lil with q-tip...OK Dremel tool, put your head in the bench vise and squeeeeeze.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 17:29   #6
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVG View Post
Was watching a Glock teardown on YouTube. The guy doing the video (wish I saved the link) recommended polishing a lot of the metal parts before reassembling. He mentioned some polish he likes and the polishing pad he has for his Dremel. Smoother action, he said. Less friction all around.

Makes sense. At least theoretical sense. But does it make any actual sense? Do any of you do this? Can you notice any difference -- besides the pride you feel packin' such a pretty boy?

Not planning on doing it. Just never really thought about. Wondering what others think and do.
Polishing the places where metal contacts metal will reduce the gritty feel of the trigger, just don't go overboard. The biggest problem is people rounding off the sear, which can cause the gun to fire auto. But smoothing and polishing the trigger bar, connector, etc. is easy, and makes a big diff in feel. I do this on all my SD guns.
Old 12-22-2012, 22:54   #7
cciman

Dremel with the felt polisher-- very hard to do any harm. Do not use any stones.

You want to polish, not metal removal. If you want, use some Flitz or equivalent (chrome or aluminum polish), and do it by hand with a paper towel.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Be very sure to use a aggressive polishing compound and round off all the edges. And the more you polish the better the trigger will be.

I think that about covers it.

Oh, one more thing:

Don't forget to post something in General Glocking latter on asking why your gun went full auto, or why problem X occurred and trash Glock for making a crappy gun that got screwed up by some basement gunsmith with a dremel.

(It's usually something along those lines so I'm not too far off base!)

Do yourself a favor and, Stay away from the Dremel!

I haven't yet seen a Glock have tool marks or roughness that was bad enough that warranted the use of power tools to clean it up!

On a serious note, go slowly and preferably, use some 2000+ grit sand paper with honing oil. A little fine polish on the end of a Q-tip tends to do well too. A ultra fine stone isn't bad either.

The object is to smooth the rough spots and tool marks and in doing so, only remove enough material to smooth the action.

DO NOT ROUND OFF ANY EDGES! You'll mess things up if you do!

Be safe and good luck!

Last edited by NEOH212; 12-26-2012 at 05:04..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 15:09   #9
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
"... Do yourself a favor and, Stay away from the Dremel!...

"... DO NOT ROUND OFF ANY EDGES! You'll mess things up if you do...!"
FWIW, I'm not planning on doing anything except shooting. I was just curious.

I noticed that the guy doin' the video acted like "polishing" was a part of "normal maintenance". But Glock says nothing about it. I figger Glock has been making firearms longer than this guy's been making videos about Glocks. So, I stick with Glock recommendations.
Old 12-26-2012, 17:03   #10
lethal tupperwa

I don't recall a dremel in any of the Glock Armorers classes.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 18:48   #11
cciman

Did the armorer classes discuss grip stippling or reduction, trigger connectors, conversion barrels, tuning recoil springs, slide melts for red dot sights, how to achieve a 3# trigger pull, how to tune the trigger reset, how to make it easy to fully load a G30 mag, why so many complaints of BTF???

I think mallet and punch are curse words in a Glock Armorers class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post

Last edited by cciman; 12-26-2012 at 18:49..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 22:44   #12
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
"... Did the armorer classes discuss... how to make it easy to fully load a G30 mag..."
LMAO!

Aw, c'mon, just give 'em time to settle in. I had a tough time at first, but after a month or so, they're not hard to load. (I assume you're talking about the 10-rd mags.)
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12   #13
lethal tupperwa

no they did not mention any of that

but did talk about the work created

when you had to fix the "improvements"

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:22   #14
GKglock324
GKshooter

I did the polish job with several Qtips and patience..smoother trigger, but no reduction in pull. Dremel? ehhh. Use at your own risk.
GKglock324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:29   #15
GKglock324
GKshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Did the armorer classes discuss grip stippling or reduction, trigger connectors, conversion barrels, tuning recoil springs, slide melts for red dot sights, how to achieve a 3# trigger pull, how to tune the trigger reset, how to make it easy to fully load a G30 mag, why so many complaints of BTF???

I think mallet and punch are curse words in a Glock Armorers class.
Uplula magazine loader..Loads all ten easily. 9mm-10mm.
GKglock324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:24   #16
guns54
toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_collector View Post
Polish a lil with q-tip...OK Dremel tool, put your head in the bench vise and squeeeeeze.
You sure are right and the dremel.Have a safe night.
Old 01-09-2013, 19:18   #17
ArGyLe64
Argyle Armoring

Nothing wrong with using a Dremel with the cotton polishing wheel and some FLITZ on the metal contact points. By using a Dremel I mean a few seconds here and there. Don't put any pressure on the parts you're polishing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Enhancements to make your GLOCK rock!

Certified GLOCK Armorer
ArGyLe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:10   #18
SARDG

I always use a Dremel and the buffing wheel with Flitz. If you've ever seen a nice aftermarket trigger group (bar, connector, fp safety, fp...) you will see that they are so highly polished, all over, that you can see your reflection in them. I'm pretty sure Charlie Vanek isn't sitting at his bench with a Q-tip in hand.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:14   #19
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
That's because they don't give out modication info; as a matter of fact... they discourage it. How 'bout that!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42   #20
SiGlockBoy

Yes it works and yes you have to lightly polish, not grind like a kid at his first prom night. You're not drilling to China.

I have used a "DREMEL" OOOOHHHH, on a very slow speed setting with semi chrome polish. When done, every person who has felt it has noticed and does notice the difference side by side with an untouched one. I have about 30 years under my belt working on firearms too. But a beginner can accomplish the same thing given they understand fine adjustment to things.

If a dremel scares you or you spread dremel hate, it's because you don't have a suttle bone in your hand. I would bet that guy breaks tools quite often also. Rotary tools have been used on everything from watches, jewelry and guns to other fine crafted items. Why. Because they work very nicely in the right hands. I used them in clock repair business and medical equipment repair also. All have the same premise to be careful, slow going and have a fine sense of delicacy.

Now I will say don't go looking for a massive difference. You will notice a nice smooth pull that still goes moosh, click. Is it worth it? Maybe. Shooting 500rds will also smooth up the gun parts where they tend to rub also. Just takes longer and costs more but will eventually happen.

I've seen red rouge go right through the silver on the part to expose a copper colored layer. Part ruined in my opinion.

I, personally would never touch any of the internal parts with sand paper. Not 2000, 3000 or even 4000. It will change the shape eventually and does remove metal. Thats why the paper builds up with black sludge. Not to say someone with a very delicate touch didn't accomplish the task, but much more risky.
SiGlockBoy is offline   Reply With Quote