Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2005, 21:04   #41
RSQMedic

My cold steel voyager tantos have taken more abuse than any other knives I've owned. The large one doubles as a small prying tool and the serrated section eats laminated glass. I've been carrying these for about 7 years now.

As for tempored glass and seatbelts, the smith and wesson rescue knife with the spring loaded center punch works great. I have lost count how many windows and seatbelts I have used it on. But we have three interstates and two major railways passing through the district.

There are probably better knives out there but my Cold Steels are good sturdy work knives.

Steve
Old 11-26-2005, 21:39   #42
Navy HMC

I carry a Gerber multitool, comes in handy. I have having a buck of stuff hanging on my belt. Used to carry a Buck, but in 10 years, never used it so I quit carrying it. Much happier now.
Navy HMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34   #43
XNYTRUCKIE
Smoke Eater

Send a message via AIM to XNYTRUCKIE
i carry a emerson CQC 7 in my front pocket , a cold steel tanto with the saw blade in my side pants pocket(bdu) and attached to my bunker gear is a navy dive knife in a jump proof sheath for the the worst scenarios i for hope only imagine happening .... I have had to use it once and it probably saved my life ... I also have a leatherman i carry as well as other tools ...

I heard a qoute once that has always stuck with me.. "one is none and 2 is one" meaning that if you lose one then you have no other knife at your disposle....

Last edited by XNYTRUCKIE; 12-06-2005 at 11:36..
XNYTRUCKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06   #44
Bravo6
Paramedic

I have a CRKT M16, a Benchmade Auto-Stryker and a Microtech Chameleon.
Which one gets clipped in the pocket before I head out the door? Usually the Benchmade, but sometimes the M16. I usually dont carry the Microtech, as its 10 years old and pretty much a collection piece.
Old 12-08-2005, 17:15   #45
MrWithasee
Not playing

Quote:
Originally posted by Privatejoker
the MOD small CQD is a hell of a knife

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=MDDMABS
A big +1^7
MrWithasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 18:35   #46
jes0420

Please! Stop the Madness

Frankly, I am a little disappointed to see what my brothers are carrying out there on the line. First of all, all these "Fire/EMS specific" knives and multitools are strictly just marketing ploys. I have never, ever heard of any one (on duty) have to use the but of a knife to break a car window. Chances are, if you are on a 10-50 that is bad enough that you need to get into the vehicle through the windows, there wont be any glass in them anyway. Even if it is one of those rare cases, you should have a haligan, or some kind of rescue tool in your hands anyway. I do understand the idea of belt cutter. However, I have never been in a situation where I couldn't deploy my trauma shears faster. As for as the less pointed blade goes, buy a sheeps foot style blade. People get so wrapped up in the idea of a "tactical" blade, (I hate that word) that they forget what they are actually buying a knife for. All it really means is a long pointy blade, with a bunch of edges to get stuff caught on, (i.e. your patients skin) and cool grip features.

I do admit, early on in my career, and even before that, I was a HUGE tactical whore. Every knife I owned had the word plastered all over the box. But as I got a little bit older, I realized the importance of having something functional, over something flashy.

The important thing to remember when you are buying not just a knife, but ANY tool that you are using in your professional life is that, at any time, when the tones hit, you and your tools could be the only thing standing between sending a Dept. get well soon card, and going to a funeral. People grossly underestimate the difference between a bargain knife they get off the clearance shelf, and a quality tool.

Two is one, and one is none. This is probably the main reason for my vendetta against multi function, job specific tools. If youíve got one knife that has a blade, a belt cutter, and a window breaker built into it, you probably are going to be tempted to carry that, and only that. You drop that tool, or break it, and your done. Out of service, and of no use to your patient or your brothers standing next to you.

Now, I get to my final point. When I first started fighting fires as a volunteer. The day that DCI background check came back I went out and bought myself a shiny new Benchmade Triage. After carrying it for a couple weeks, the honeymoon phase wore off, and I started to notice the inherent problems that come with cramming a bunch of different accessories into one tool. It was bulky, HEAVY, and weak because the frame was compromised by hiding the belt cutter. Now, this is a good knife, great blade material, and if you insist on buying a job specific multi tool, itís the blade for you. It is the best you can buy.

My co-workers call me crazy for the number of tools I carry. But guess who they come to on a scene when they need a tool. My primary blade, and the love of my life is a Benchmade BK942. I have had it for 3 years, and it has never once let me down. I also carry a CRKT Ignitor T as a my back up, mainly because of its aggressive serrations. (low quality, but sturdy) I also carry my sexy hot pink trauma shears through the belt loop in the small of my back, and a Leatherman Wave. (none of that Gerber crap) Also carry a Streamlight Protac 2L, but flashlights are a whole different argument. I genuinely donít understand people, public servants in particular, who carry pos blades like SOG, Gerber, Boker, and Smith and Wesson. To me, CRKT, Spyderco, and Kershaw are borderline. Suitable for backups, but not for something you are going to potentially be using to save lives.

Bottom line, you want to have a tool that you can truly use, and be proud to own, cough up the $150-$300 for a Benchmade, or something of equal quality. (If you havenít figured out yet, Iím a walking Bencmade billboard) Donít let a few bucks stand between someone living and dying, especially yourself.
jes0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 23:38   #47
FLglockdude

Holy thread revival batman!

Sent from my Obama phone.
FLglockdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:35   #48
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Epi does work on CPRs.

I routinely carry about three or four knives on me when I'm on the box. Two are Gerbers, one is a Kershaw and the other is a S&W neck knife. All four have been used for different things.
Old 01-06-2013, 00:37   #49
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

Quote:
Holy thread revival batman!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32   #50
Da-Squad
Capt/Ret.

Early in my career nobody wore seats belts and I carried a Haligan for glass. Later on I carried five Firefighters in the rig and they worked extremely well.
Da-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52   #51
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes0420 View Post
The day that DCI background check came back I went out and bought myself a shiny new Benchmade Triage...Now, this is a good knife, great blade material, and if you insist on buying a job specific multi tool, itís the blade for you. It is the best you can buy.
You have tried the Gerber Hinderer, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc18cSTnXZs

http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/K...Knife_22-41534
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11   #52
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Not an EMT, not a fireman, not in law enforcement; but I do carry this and love it!

Firefighter/EMS Talk

Here's the video.

(Wouldn't be in a car crash without one!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:07   #53
4095fanatic

I have a CRKT M16 for general knife work, and a Blackhwak HawkHook for window and seatbelt duty.
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:25   #54
nursetim

Surefire delta folder. You are welcome. Of course if you loose it, you'll wish you had something sharp to hari kari with.
nursetim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:35   #55
tallen122

Leatherman just came out with a new model but i think it has a pointed blade. Meets all the other criteria though.
tallen122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:23   #56
kurt1305

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian and an original Leatherman tool.
kurt1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:04   #57
Tvov

I just got this as a gift. I'll throw it in with my gear and see how it works... it will be interesting to see if it gets used more than my Leatherman (which is used more for its pliers than anything else). I was a little surprised to see what the full retail price for the Victorinox is: $105 ! So I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Not an EMT, not a fireman, not in law enforcement; but I do carry this and love it!

Firefighter/EMS Talk

Here's the video.

Victorinox - Swiss Army Knife - Rescue Tool - YouTube

(Wouldn't be in a car crash without one!)

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote