GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25   #26
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
I think it would have been great if they had brought that camera crew to my university. I would have sat there quietly until the"bad" guy came in the room and took aim at the gloved good guy. Then I would have squatted beside my desk, pointed my finger at him and yelled five times bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! You're dead!

If they asked what I thought I was doing, I would simply say: I'm the armed citizen you didn't know about. You're dead. If need be, I would have then opened my coat to show them the Glock 19 I carried every day at PSU.

Wouldn't they be surprised...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Actually, they would be very, very surprised. They'd be desperate to find out how you got through the screening process, too.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35   #27
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
But one interesting thing to note...in the last 20 years, the violent crime rate has gone DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY according to FBI Stats (and one of the most significant trends in the last 20 years has been the rise of states passing shall-issue laws and the significant increases of people getting permits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=Ooa98FHuaU0#!

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-1

Funny isn't it...violent crime has been FALLING STEADILY as the number of states issuing permits and number of people getting permits has steadily been on the increase.

So, who here has been hearing any of this on the news...the steady drops in violent crime...???
Well, you might say that the fear of prosecution and lengthy hard time incarceration caused it, but, yeah, I think that might be wrong.

Would it be that traditional core family values are coming back. We can hope, but probably not.

Maybe it IS because more people are drawing their weapons when threatened resulting in no crime committed, or the attacker wounded or DRT. I mean, that's the way it is in some movies, right? There are movies that celebrate the use of firearms by average citizens to defeat crime, aren't there?

__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43   #28
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
I think it would have been great if they had brought that camera crew to my university. I would have sat there quietly until the"bad" guy came in the room and took aim at the gloved good guy. Then I would have squatted beside my desk, pointed my finger at him and yelled five times bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! You're dead!

If they asked what I thought I was doing, I would simply say: I'm the armed citizen you didn't know about. You're dead. If need be, I would have then opened my coat to show them the Glock 19 I carried every day at PSU.

Wouldn't they be surprised ...
While I like your style; and I'm fully aware that those kids in the video were, 'programmed to fail', (If the U.S. military taught recruits to handle firearms like that we'd all be speaking Arabic. ) I'm, also, surprised to notice you admit to frequently carrying a concealed pistol at Portland State University. Can you really do that?
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25   #29
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Click on the YouTube link...does it not go to VPC Videos. They are promoting, endorsing the video. Stolen from ABC News? Yeah, and ABC News is the unbiased fair and balanced source for reporting on firearms?

As I said, rephrased, anything put out by, promoted by, endorsed by, used by VPC should not be considered accurate reporting of anything connected to firearms and their legal use.
No arguments from me, just messing with you, mixing metaphors. I'm sure ABC is no better than VPC on 2A issues...

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03   #30
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Well, you might say that the fear of prosecution and lengthy hard time incarceration caused it, but, yeah, I think that might be wrong.

Would it be that traditional core family values are coming back. We can hope, but probably not.

Maybe it IS because more people are drawing their weapons when threatened resulting in no crime committed, or the attacker wounded or DRT. I mean, that's the way it is in some movies, right? There are movies that celebrate the use of firearms by average citizens to defeat crime, aren't there?

Hard to say which is correlation and which is causation.

If there was a breakdown by state/year as to how the stats are going down, is there a knee in the state/year where shall issue is approved? Has the crime rate dropped by a similar rate in the few states where CCW is rare, NY, DC, IL?

I would think it'd take a few years to show any effect, until the #s of permit holders increased over time.

There's an increasing number of articles in the local papers where robbers and permit holders run into each other, but Detroit is probably not representative of the country as a whole. And they probably make the papers because its out of the ordinary, there's a LOT of robberies that don't make the papers out here.

Its even possible the "war on drugs" has actually helped, by keeping potential muggers in prison on drug charges.

I don't think the thought of running into a permit holder deters criminals any more than running into cops. They aren't good at risk analysis. And if they really thought running into permit holders was a problem, I think they'd change tactics and actually shoot rather than threatening to shoot at the outset of the robbery. Most of the robber/CCW encounters have surprise on the side of the CCWer, because they do NOT expect to run into a permit holder, allowing the CCWer to prevail.

Don't get me wrong, people absolutely ought to have the right to CCW so that the few who do happen to run into robbers have a fighting chance to control their own destiny.

I'm just not convinced that shall issue is behind the drop in crime rates.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11   #31
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
I'm just not convinced that shall issue is behind the drop in crime rates.

Randy
Randy, are you familiar with the various reports that between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 times a year (depends on the report) a firearm is used to stop or prevent a crime?

Would those numbers be the same if fewer people were carrying for self defense?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18   #32
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Randy, are you familiar with the various reports that between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 times a year (depends on the report) a firearm is used to stop or prevent a crime?

Would those numbers be the same if fewer people were carrying for self defense?
Point taken, those cases where no shots fired, displaying the weapon is enough to scare off the robber. That's really a shame, because they won't show up in any official stats, often no shots fired, no police report to file, so it's really hard to quantify accurately. When I say that, I'm not trying to dispute or downplay those numbers, they may well be accurate. For all I know those numbers may be too low, rather than inflated.

I have to wonder if a significant # of those may in fact not represent crimes prevented so much as crimes delayed, though. Junkies still need their fix, some other victim is going to get held up in short order, one who is not armed. Robbers are non-union, so they don't have to quit at a certain time, they'll look for another victim until they find one...

Having said that, I'm all in favor of making sure I'm not the guy that gets robbed at that moment in time!

Also, let me be clear I'm not saying CCW has had NO effect on crime, clearly it's worked quite often in cases where robbers stumbled onto a CCWer. I'm just disputing how much of the drop in the crime rate is attributable to CCWers. I don't think there's enough of us out there to be solely responsible for it, there's too few of us out there, its still relatively rare when a robber runs into one of us. I think there's more going on than just us.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 01-06-2013 at 10:26..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28   #33
oldman11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,268
The whole news report is a LIE, and we all know it. It's the Obama News Fallacy conjuring stories for the feeble-minded.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34   #34
Hyena
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 46
If you carry responsible and take it serious, and you practice so that drawing and coming on target becomes muscle memory you won't get the gun caught in your shirt. You don't get that from a 15 minute "this is how you make a gun go boom" session. I was going through active shooter training on the day of Sandy Hook, and I amazed myself with how quickly I reloaded and got back on target. The reason is because I have trained and dry fired enough that it became automatic for me to do that when the gun was empty. It took time to get there. That's why this has no basis on reality.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55   #35
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
I think there's more going on than just us.

Randy
What constitutes that "more"?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31   #36
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
While I like your style; and I'm fully aware that those kids in the video were, 'programmed to fail', (If the U.S. military taught recruits to handle firearms like that we'd all be speaking Arabic. ) I'm, also, surprised to notice you admit to frequently carrying a concealed pistol at Portland State University. Can you really do that?
PSU is an interesting place with some unique issues.

Besides the fact that the campus is split in half by a city park (the park blocks) all of the streets and most of the sidewalks are city (public) property. There were also some buildings, at one time, that housed both public and University operations. For instance, the book store, which is a private entity but is in the campus and shares building with a restaurant.

On top of that it is the place for LEOs in the Portland Metro area to pursue continuing education opportunities.

I know, at one time, the University had a "If they have a permit, or are LE and permitted, we are fine with it" policy, but that was years ago and administrations change.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48   #37
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
What constitutes that "more"?
Could be the get tough on crime measures that have been popular for so long, 3 strikes laws, war on drugs. Anything that keeps more criminals locked up longer.

Look at NYC, they also have had drops in crime, largely attributed to Guiliani's "broken window" policing model. Certainly not due to relaxed CCW laws.

I tend to be skeptical by nature, and tend to be even more skeptical of theories I'd love to be true, like "ccw reduces crime". I try to dig deeper because I assume I'm biased in favor of that theory.

I am not suggesting I am more likely to be right in this case than you. The jury is still out, IMO, just suggesting alternate theories, really. Stats are one thing, the tricky part is figuring out the reasons behind why the numbers end up as they are. Easier to establish correlations than causations.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 01-06-2013 at 11:54..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24   #38
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Could be the get tough on crime measures that have been popular for so long, 3 strikes laws, war on drugs. Anything that keeps more criminals locked up longer.

Look at NYC, they also have had drops in crime, largely attributed to Guiliani's "broken window" policing model. Certainly not due to relaxed CCW laws.

I tend to be skeptical by nature, and tend to be even more skeptical of theories I'd love to be true, like "ccw reduces crime". I try to dig deeper because I assume I'm biased in favor of that theory.

I am not suggesting I am more likely to be right in this case than you. The jury is still out, IMO, just suggesting alternate theories, really. Stats are one thing, the tricky part is figuring out the reasons behind why the numbers end up as they are. Easier to establish correlations than causations.

Randy
Hard Times, Fewer Crimes
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:58   #39
dosei
Senior Member
 
dosei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I don't dispute crime has not been falling steadily for several years... I just don't like people saying it's "because of CCW". CCW may have an effect, but I'm sure there's a myriad of other issues that do as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Well, you might say that the fear of prosecution and lengthy hard time incarceration caused it, but, yeah, I think that might be wrong.

Would it be that traditional core family values are coming back. We can hope, but probably not.

Maybe it IS because more people are drawing their weapons when threatened resulting in no crime committed, or the attacker wounded or DRT. I mean, that's the way it is in some movies, right? There are movies that celebrate the use of firearms by average citizens to defeat crime, aren't there?

I am not someone that thinks Shall Issue laws and the increase of responsible law abiding people carrying concealed weapons is "THE" reason for the drop. I am someone that rather adamantly believes that there are ALWAYS reasons...it never is solely because of "just one thing". There are always many contributing factors. I do, however, believe that it is one of the many contributing factors.
__________________
Big Dawg No. 1431
Carolina Glocker No. 1431
"Freedom is a system based on courage" (Charles Peguy)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:22   #40
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Interesting..

I was one of those expecting a big explosion of crime from the economic downturn, but I was wrong. Even in Detroit most crimes are down. The one exception is homicides, unfortunately. That's mostly rival drug dealers and gang bangers settling disputes.

I agree with Dosei, there's a lot of factors, and certainly CCW is one of them.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:26   #41
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Interesting..

I was one of those expecting a big explosion of crime from the economic downturn, but I was wrong. Even in Detroit most crimes are down. The one exception is homicides, unfortunately. That's mostly rival drug dealers and gang bangers settling disputes.

I agree with Dosei, there's a lot of factors, and certainly CCW is one of them.

Randy
In Detroit everything that can be stolen has and criminals don't report it when stolen property is stolen from them.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:27   #42
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
In Detroit everything that can be stolen has and criminals don't report it when stolen property is stolen from them.


well, there is that... shouldn't you say criminals don't report stolen property when it is restolen from them?

Kind of like regifting for criminals...

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 01-06-2013 at 14:28..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:58   #43
ElectricZombie
Senior Member
 
ElectricZombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,203
IIRC, ABC eventually admitted that this scenario was a staged.
__________________
G17, G21, G23RTF2
ElectricZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28   #44
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Too funny!! And sadly...too correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
I am not someone that thinks Shall Issue laws and the increase of responsible law abiding people carrying concealed weapons is "THE" reason for the drop. I am someone that rather adamantly believes that there are ALWAYS reasons...it never is solely because of "just one thing". There are always many contributing factors. I do, however, believe that it is one of the many contributing factors.
It may not be the only reason, but it is easy to make it the MAIN reason.




red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632


R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06   #45
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,669
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post


well, there is that... shouldn't you say criminals don't report stolen property when it is restolen from them?

Kind of like regifting for criminals...

Randy
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:38   #46
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!
 
Poohgyrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sutter's Fort
Posts: 1,163


My difficulty with the anti firearm folks is all the nonsense they keep spreading about and their refusal to engage in an open honest discussion.

Let's face it: If being a gun free zone actually prevented crime, then schools and prisons would be among the safest places in the USA.

Add all the local places that have strict gun control. Bernie Goetz would never have had to shoot the muggers attacking him. And the only movie theater to ban CCW in that CO town would never have had their poor unarmed movie patrons shot by that nutcase crook..
__________________
John Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 01-07-2013 at 13:39..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 18:49   #47
Drain You
NRA member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,832
I remember seeing that junk and discussing it online. Junk, that is all it is. I disagree with their uneducated method & hypothesis & so does the turd I had to deal with a few weeks ago.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 14:40   #48
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I think anyone is ineffective if the attacker has a firearm out and pointing at you,be silly to try to bring yours out unless you thought they would shoot anyway,then most likly both shot you twice since he had his out him once,with you having the biggest problem.
Last resort situation,distracted stand a chance,against other weapons stand a bigger chance,like ball bat at ten ft and you see it coming.
Carrying a gun does not mean you wont die,but stand a better chance of taking them with you or averting it all together.
Would it pay to stop a crime if it resulted in a gunfight,with others in the vicinity.
Assuming they are whacco yes, otherwise no.
I wouldn't miss my target mugger!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:19.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,541
488 Members
1,053 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42