Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53   #1
lostclusters

Do I really need a relaoding manual ...

... With all the information available on the web why would I need a reloading manual? I reloaded 44 mag for a couple years so I know most of my way around. I have not loaded with a tapered crimp though. Case length, OAL, and load data is all over the place. Which manual would you recommend and why?
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14   #2
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostclusters View Post
... With all the information available on the web why would I need a reloading manual? I reloaded 44 mag for a couple years so I know most of my way around. I have not loaded with a tapered crimp though. Case length, OAL, and load data is all over the place. Which manual would you recommend and why?
yes, it always a good idea to double and triple check your recipes from a few different mfgs.

i use this one the most:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414...loading-manual
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43   #3
Keoking

The internet has a lot of data, but the manuals have a ton of data that isn't online. Is this extra data needed? Not necessarily, especially since you could post a question online and people with the manuals will often give you what you need.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22   #4
lostclusters

Thanks for the replies/info. Gofastman's suggestion is interesting. I like the concept.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Yes, reloading manuals are essential. It is true that "recipes" are widely published by component manufacturers on the web. The critical reason for having a manual is for the step-by-step loading instructions that are consolidated into one place. Following the instructions in a quality loading manual, like Speer #14, will give best and safest loading results.

I have an older copy of Loadbooks that is linked to by Gofastman. I also picked up a brand new copy. There were numerous revisions, but the new version still has recipes that are out of date. One Hornady 10mm recipe is an error (155 w/A7) . Just be mindful that a lot of information in that manual has been superceded by updates from manufacturers. Again, that is only a "recipe" book and not truly a manual.

I also recommend that too, because it gives virtually all of the major component manufacturers' recipes. Unfortunately, the current version has Nosler data for only the 135 and 150 grainers even though Nosler is making heavier bullets again.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:36   #6
lostclusters

So far I have my sights on the Loadbooks .40/10mm, Hornady's 9th, and Lee's 2nd. Is the any other which may be better for 10mm?
Old 01-06-2013, 15:02   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The reloading manuals while they provide useful data for each cartridge and a certain bullet combination, they also provide very useful info such as do's and don't's, history of each cartridge, ballistic tables and trouble shooting info.

The data has changed over the years and even the older manuals can provide comparison data to build from as new bullets are designed.

I try to maintain the PFD files from the powder manufactures and reference there on line info frequently. BTW I have handloaded since late 1970's and 10mm since March 1990, and still learn better ways of doing things and teaching others too.

Remember Hollow Point designs are longer than the same weight FMJ, JSP so they occupy more case capacity, also the solid copper designs are way longer for their given weights because copper is lighter than lead core.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:15   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostclusters View Post
So far I have my sights on the Loadbooks .40/10mm, Hornady's 9th, and Lee's 2nd. Is the any other which may be better for 10mm?
If you are a new handloader, then I would recommend Speer #14. It has great instructions with separate sections for pistol loading. The ABCs of Reloading is highly rated too. 10mm-specific recipes can be obtained online and via Loadbooks (as has been mentioned earlier).
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 22:37   #9
hubcap500

NO. You do not need a reloading manual. You need SEVERAL. Lyman and Lee are excellent choices for the additional information they provide beside load data. I have a shelf about 5' long with manuals and on occasion use many of them. I usually default to the newer ones, but they all are valuable resources. As Shadow says, keep learning. At 60 I have to say keep re-learning. The only person who can't learn anything else is the one who (thinks he) knows it all.

Last edited by hubcap500; 01-15-2013 at 22:46..
hubcap500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 15:25   #10
MinervaDoe

I agree that you need multiple manuals. Another thing that I noticed is that a lot of the online manuals are the type that list only one weight for the their loads. I much prefer manuals that post a high and a low weight. Even then, I usually cross reference several manuals when looking for a load.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07   #11
Zyzogg
Bartender

Get at least the Lyman manual. Lots of good info there. This is a place you really want to as much as possible.
Zyzogg is offline   Reply With Quote