GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 19:07   #26
njl

At intermediate ranges, even something like a semi-auto 12G with #7 or larger (smaller number) shot might work.
Old 01-11-2013, 19:53   #27
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I'm familiar with pythons and other snakes.... ...I guess it depends on the distances involved. Would you be walking right up on them, or seeing them from a bit of a distance and taking them out from yards away?
I've been reading about harvesting them. In many areas they say to look for them along canals and even alongside roads, basking in the sun. It seems most shots would be very close and head shots to dispatch them. They have to be positively identified as FWC frowns on shooting native varieties - though there seems to be no penalty in that, other than disqualification in the Python Challenge prizes.

One has to take an online test to get the permit to hunt them. This should be interesting... I can see neophyte snake hunters traipsing through the woods, getting bit by rattlesnakes.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48   #28
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
BTW, found out today that Donna retired last month. And she didn't even call and let me know!
I wish her the best,
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:33   #29
mccannicalbob

From a match in early-mid July, received certificate October 13, mailed to Glock on October 19 with a check, entered into Glock's system on November 15, check cashed on December 8, received call to submit my SSN (for the second time) on January 10, pistol arrived at dealer on January 11. G35 Gen4.
mccannicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:29   #30
njl

Quote:
I've been reading about harvesting them. In many areas they say to look for them along canals and even alongside roads, basking in the sun. It seems most shots would be very close and head shots to dispatch them. They have to be positively identified as FWC frowns on shooting native varieties - though there seems to be no penalty in that, other than disqualification in the Python Challenge prizes.

One has to take an online test to get the permit to hunt them. This should be interesting... I can see neophyte snake hunters traipsing through the woods, getting bit by rattlesnakes.
I suspect moccasins are more common than rattlesnakes in the everglades.

The more I think about it, the more I think my Mossberg 930 (with a shorter barrel and longer magazine) would be ideal for this. At close range, the pattern probably wouldn't be much bigger than a big snake head. For slightly longer shots, I'd be tempted to use an M1 carbine.

Last edited by njl; 01-12-2013 at 18:03..
njl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 18:14   #31
njl

Wow...I just read we have multiple species of anaconda in the everglades now. WT?
Old 01-12-2013, 22:26   #32
SARDG

Quote:
Wow...I just read we have multiple species of anaconda in the everglades now. WT?
Florida - America's nonnative species dumping ground.
Old 01-12-2013, 22:27   #33
SARDG

Quote:
I suspect moccasins are more common than rattlesnakes in the everglades.

The more I think about it, the more I think my Mossberg 930 (with a shorter barrel and longer magazine) would be ideal for this. At close range, the pattern probably wouldn't be much bigger than a big snake head. For slightly longer shots, I'd be tempted to use an M1 carbine.
You need to get your permit and go hunting. This particular program ends 2/10/13.
Old 01-12-2013, 23:18   #34
njl

Quote:
You need to get your permit and go hunting. This particular program ends 2/10/13.
Sounds like fun, but aren't we both a little far from the hunting grounds? Are you planning to travel to south FL to do it?
Old 01-13-2013, 00:02   #35
SARDG

Quote:
Sounds like fun, but aren't we both a little far from the hunting grounds? Are you planning to travel to south FL to do it?
I am down in Cape Coral right now doing another kind of hunting - house hunting. The Everglades is a relatively short distance - but I just don't think I'll be prepared for a (snake) hunt in time if this main Python Challenge program is ending on 2/10. I don't see where you have to take pythons only in the glades; they are just more plentiful there.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:00   #36
__jb

Quote:
I'm also moving closer to the Everglades where Burmese pythons are invasive nonnative pests. Two days ago, Florida announced the 2013 Python Challenge - $1500 for the most pythons harvested and $1000 for the biggest harvested throughout the year.
That's going to add quite a bit of travel time to GSSF matches... Do they have any shooting ranges/clubs near to your planned location?

Hope it works out for you!
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
__jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28   #37
emtjr928

Quote:
I am down in Cape Coral right now doing another kind of hunting - house hunting. The Everglades is a relatively short distance - but I just don't think I'll be prepared for a (snake) hunt in time if this main Python Challenge program is ending on 2/10. I don't see where you have to take pythons only in the glades; they are just more plentiful there.
I see a source for a new Python Skin holster for the "Smurf" gun.
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54   #38
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by __jb View Post
That's going to add quite a bit of travel time to GSSF matches... Do they have any shooting ranges/clubs near to your planned location?

Hope it works out for you!
There are 3 ranges in an area about 25 miles away - which is what I drive now to get to my current club. There's an FWC unsupervised range, a private, and a semi-private range. There is no competition at the FWC range, the private range has 3 bays, an outhouse, no electricity, and limited competition. All 3 ranges together don't equal my very nice current club I am at and don't have the great teaching programs either.

The move will add about 2.5 hours to every trip except Clearwater, where it will only add about 1.5 hours to my already 45-50 minute trip.
Old 02-16-2013, 16:30   #39
SARDG

Quote:
...I'm also moving closer to the Everglades where Burmese pythons are invasive nonnative pests. Two days ago, Florida announced the 2013 Python Challenge - $1500 for the most pythons harvested and $1000 for the biggest harvested...
The annual python challenge is over and the results are in:
(drumroll....) 68 pythons harvested, 14+ feet largest, one hunter bagged 18 of the 68 himself. Somehow, I was expecting a number in the 100's.

Maybe my random Gen4 G20 will be shipped from Glock by next January's Python Challenge and I'll join in.

Last edited by SARDG; 02-16-2013 at 19:48.. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2013, 17:01   #40
njl

I still think the 10mm is overkill for snake hunting. I wonder how a Saiga in .410 with buckshot would do?
Old 02-16-2013, 19:44   #41
SARDG

I've always liked swatting flies with a sledge hammer.
Old 02-18-2013, 15:20   #42
G21H30

Sent in a certificate for a GEN 4 G-20. Order date 10-2-12. Shipment date 2-13-13 from Glock. Picked it up today at LGS!!! One GEN 4 G-37 to go.
NRA Handgun & Home Safety Instructor
G21H30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:26   #43
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21H30 View Post
Sent in a certificate for a GEN 4 G-20. Order date 10-2-12. Shipment date 2-13-13 from Glock. Picked it up today at LGS!!! One GEN 4 G-37 to go.
Interesting....

Sent in certificate for a Gen4 G20. Order date 7/24/12. Still not shipped... next Sunday will be 7 months. Of course they did say that it may take as long as 180 days. Oh wait... it's been 200+ days.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44   #44
misunderestimated

Man I am sweating it now.I already got my 1099 for my award guns

I live in New York and as some of you folks may know NY has a restriction on no gun sales for a gun that has a magazine that holds over 7 rounds effective April 15th. I submitted a award certificate in November for for a G30Gen4 I was told i would get it in time,buy boy is it nerve wracking wondering if it will arrive in time. In NY we have to submit a request to a Judge to have a pistol added to our pistol permit.in the past it has taken over 4 weeks for my paper work to go thru the cycle, (once it only took 4 days) although it seams so far away I am running out of time quickly
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17   #45
BillOH

Gen 4 G21. Mailed certificate on Nov 1, 2012. Picked it up the other day.

Bill
BillOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 20:45   #46
SARDG

OMG... my FFL called this afternoon. My G20 finally arrived; I can quit my whining now. Very fortuitous because I had to go to the range tonight to RO for the Coasties night-shoot.

At a break in the sniper action we passed around some private guns for mutual shooting; a vintage Luger, an M1 Garand and my new G20. My very first shot failed to feed the second round; cleared that and the rest of the mag went fine but the slide didn't lock back at the last round. Another Coastie shot the second mag with the same first-round results - an FTF. I told him he was limp-wristing.

After that, I and all the shooters got through the rest of the 50-rnd box of factory ammo without a hitch. All seems well - I like it. Now to find some pythons and wild hogs...

I guess I'll have to take another one of my certificates now and order another gun so that I have something to complain about when it doesn't arrive in 12 weeks.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36   #47
misunderestimated

Just got my call today, G30Gen4 arrived yesterday at LGS

I am relived I am heading to clerk now to drop off my papers to get it added to my license
Old 02-21-2013, 13:45   #48
njl

I just sent off my Clearwater certificate. Nobody else order a 30S for a few months...ok?
Old 02-21-2013, 16:08   #49
misunderestimated

Quote:
I just sent off my Clearwater certificate. Nobody else order a 30S for a few months...ok?
I almost ordered that instead of the 30 Gen4 let us know what you think when you get it may it serve you well
Old 02-21-2013, 18:30   #50
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
I almost ordered that instead of the 30 Gen4 let us know what you think when you get it may it serve you well
I assume it's going to shoot just like my 30SF only more reliably with my weak loads. I got a chance to shoot a few rounds through one at the Orlando match.

I may even just use the upper on my 30SF frame and save myself the time of doing a trigger job on the new frame.

I considered getting the 36 and making my own 30S...but figured the 30S made more sense since it'd maintain mag compatibility with my existing Glock .45s and provide me with 2 more G30 mags.