SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 23:35   #21
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I've heard of hunting small to medium game with handguns such as the G20...but it seems like a bit of a canon for snake harvesting. Wouldn't your G34 race gun work just fine?...assuming you were the one shooting it, of course.
Dunno... if I shoot it... of course!

Actually, I was sitting bored in my gun club's board meeting earlier tonight and there was a gun magazine on the table. I thumbed through it and there was an article by Mas about carrying extra ammo for various situations - not just SD. In one instance in the article he related (as I remember) taking 6 shots (with one miss) to dispatch a large snake.

These nonnative pythons can reach 17' long and have thick bodies. They aparently move slowly so I suppose one well-placed head shot would do it - or 6 or 8 shots with misses - kinda like GSSF plates.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47   #22
SARDG

Received an e-mail answer from GSSF regarding my Gen4 G20 order. The e-mail...

"The G20 Gen 4 has not shipped yet.

GLOCK, Inc is still quoting us 150-180 on all shipments, so it should be going out soon.

Jessica Clower
GSSF"

So... if your ordered gun hasn't been received in 5 months... give it 6 months.
Old 01-11-2013, 17:03   #23
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
...Calling Donna right now to check on my Gen4 G20 order of 5 months ago.
BTW, found out today that Donna retired last month. And she didn't even call and let me know!

Last edited by SARDG; 01-11-2013 at 17:03..
Old 01-11-2013, 19:45   #24
njl

Quote:
Dunno... if I shoot it... of course!

These nonnative pythons can reach 17' long and have thick bodies. They aparently move slowly so I suppose one well-placed head shot would do it - or 6 or 8 shots with misses - kinda like GSSF plates.
I'm familiar with pythons and other snakes. AFAIK, they're mostly thin skin and lots of muscle...so I suspect if you were to shoot one and hit nothing vital, it could take a whole bunch of shots and not die. If they allow it, I'd think a 10/22 with a scope would be sufficient for dispatching pythons. If not, next choice would be an AR with scope or red dot...but .223 also seems overkill. I guess it depends on the distances involved. Would you be walking right up on them, or seeing them from a bit of a distance and taking them out from yards away?
Old 01-11-2013, 19:48   #25
cookselk

Quote:
Received an e-mail answer from GSSF regarding my Gen4 G20 order. The e-mail...

"The G20 Gen 4 has not shipped yet.

GLOCK, Inc is still quoting us 150-180 on all shipments, so it should be going out soon.

Jessica Clower
GSSF"

So... if your ordered gun hasn't been received in 5 months... give it 6 months.
Ohhhh boy.......154 days this coming Monday

Last edited by cookselk; 01-11-2013 at 19:49..
cookselk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:07   #26
njl

At intermediate ranges, even something like a semi-auto 12G with #7 or larger (smaller number) shot might work.
Old 01-11-2013, 20:53   #27
SARDG

Quote:
I'm familiar with pythons and other snakes.... ...I guess it depends on the distances involved. Would you be walking right up on them, or seeing them from a bit of a distance and taking them out from yards away?
I've been reading about harvesting them. In many areas they say to look for them along canals and even alongside roads, basking in the sun. It seems most shots would be very close and head shots to dispatch them. They have to be positively identified as FWC frowns on shooting native varieties - though there seems to be no penalty in that, other than disqualification in the Python Challenge prizes.

One has to take an online test to get the permit to hunt them. This should be interesting... I can see neophyte snake hunters traipsing through the woods, getting bit by rattlesnakes.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48   #28
misunderestimated

Quote:
BTW, found out today that Donna retired last month. And she didn't even call and let me know!
I wish her the best,
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:33   #29
mccannicalbob

From a match in early-mid July, received certificate October 13, mailed to Glock on October 19 with a check, entered into Glock's system on November 15, check cashed on December 8, received call to submit my SSN (for the second time) on January 10, pistol arrived at dealer on January 11. G35 Gen4.
mccannicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 18:29   #30
njl

Quote:
I've been reading about harvesting them. In many areas they say to look for them along canals and even alongside roads, basking in the sun. It seems most shots would be very close and head shots to dispatch them. They have to be positively identified as FWC frowns on shooting native varieties - though there seems to be no penalty in that, other than disqualification in the Python Challenge prizes.

One has to take an online test to get the permit to hunt them. This should be interesting... I can see neophyte snake hunters traipsing through the woods, getting bit by rattlesnakes.
I suspect moccasins are more common than rattlesnakes in the everglades.

The more I think about it, the more I think my Mossberg 930 (with a shorter barrel and longer magazine) would be ideal for this. At close range, the pattern probably wouldn't be much bigger than a big snake head. For slightly longer shots, I'd be tempted to use an M1 carbine.

Last edited by njl; 01-12-2013 at 19:03..
njl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:14   #31
njl

Wow...I just read we have multiple species of anaconda in the everglades now. WT?
Old 01-12-2013, 23:26   #32
SARDG

Quote:
Wow...I just read we have multiple species of anaconda in the everglades now. WT?
Florida - America's nonnative species dumping ground.
Old 01-12-2013, 23:27   #33
SARDG

Quote:
I suspect moccasins are more common than rattlesnakes in the everglades.

The more I think about it, the more I think my Mossberg 930 (with a shorter barrel and longer magazine) would be ideal for this. At close range, the pattern probably wouldn't be much bigger than a big snake head. For slightly longer shots, I'd be tempted to use an M1 carbine.
You need to get your permit and go hunting. This particular program ends 2/10/13.
Old 01-13-2013, 00:18   #34
njl

Quote:
You need to get your permit and go hunting. This particular program ends 2/10/13.
Sounds like fun, but aren't we both a little far from the hunting grounds? Are you planning to travel to south FL to do it?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02   #35
SARDG

Quote:
Sounds like fun, but aren't we both a little far from the hunting grounds? Are you planning to travel to south FL to do it?
I am down in Cape Coral right now doing another kind of hunting - house hunting. The Everglades is a relatively short distance - but I just don't think I'll be prepared for a (snake) hunt in time if this main Python Challenge program is ending on 2/10. I don't see where you have to take pythons only in the glades; they are just more plentiful there.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00   #36
__jb

Quote:
I'm also moving closer to the Everglades where Burmese pythons are invasive nonnative pests. Two days ago, Florida announced the 2013 Python Challenge - $1500 for the most pythons harvested and $1000 for the biggest harvested throughout the year.
That's going to add quite a bit of travel time to GSSF matches... Do they have any shooting ranges/clubs near to your planned location?

Hope it works out for you!
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
__jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:28   #37
emtjr928

Quote:
I am down in Cape Coral right now doing another kind of hunting - house hunting. The Everglades is a relatively short distance - but I just don't think I'll be prepared for a (snake) hunt in time if this main Python Challenge program is ending on 2/10. I don't see where you have to take pythons only in the glades; they are just more plentiful there.
I see a source for a new Python Skin holster for the "Smurf" gun.
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54   #38
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by __jb View Post
That's going to add quite a bit of travel time to GSSF matches... Do they have any shooting ranges/clubs near to your planned location?

Hope it works out for you!
There are 3 ranges in an area about 25 miles away - which is what I drive now to get to my current club. There's an FWC unsupervised range, a private, and a semi-private range. There is no competition at the FWC range, the private range has 3 bays, an outhouse, no electricity, and limited competition. All 3 ranges together don't equal my very nice current club I am at and don't have the great teaching programs either.

The move will add about 2.5 hours to every trip except Clearwater, where it will only add about 1.5 hours to my already 45-50 minute trip.
Old 02-16-2013, 17:30   #39
SARDG

Quote:
...I'm also moving closer to the Everglades where Burmese pythons are invasive nonnative pests. Two days ago, Florida announced the 2013 Python Challenge - $1500 for the most pythons harvested and $1000 for the biggest harvested...
The annual python challenge is over and the results are in:
(drumroll....) 68 pythons harvested, 14+ feet largest, one hunter bagged 18 of the 68 himself. Somehow, I was expecting a number in the 100's.

Maybe my random Gen4 G20 will be shipped from Glock by next January's Python Challenge and I'll join in.

Last edited by SARDG; 02-16-2013 at 20:48.. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2013, 18:01   #40
njl

I still think the 10mm is overkill for snake hunting. I wonder how a Saiga in .410 with buckshot would do?