Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 21:52   #1
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
What Is Your Profession?

I'm curious to know where everyone's expertise/knowledge base comes from. Has your job affected your beliefs or have your beliefs affected your job? Give some details, guys.

I work industrial construction and am also a full time STEM student. Neither work, nor school gives me pressure to believe either way. I've had very insightful discussions with coworkers, but never felt any pressure to believe and never exerted pressure otherwise. School is full of "cool kids." I don't talk to many of them; most are only about as smart as a really smart dog.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." - JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:36   #2
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

62 views and no takers? Are some of you ashamed of what you do or what you believe?

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Old 01-12-2013, 23:39   #3
GunHo198

I own a Resturant.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-12-2013, 23:58   #4
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

And . . . ?

How has owning a restaurant affected/been affected by your beliefs?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35   #5
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Alright, I'll give it a shot.

I'm a senior manager / senior project manager for an IT company. In college, and for about 5 years out of college I was a unix system administrator.

I don't think that religion has particularly affected my career, or vice versa. I work with people who are openly religious, some who are openly atheist, and others who are pretty quiet in what they may believe.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:56   #6
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Alright, I'll give it a shot.

I'm a senior manager / senior project manager for an IT company. In college, and for about 5 years out of college I was a unix system administrator.

I don't think that religion has particularly affected my career, or vice versa. I work with people who are openly religious, some who are openly atheist, and others who are pretty quiet in what they may believe.

-ArtificialGrape
Does your knowledge of evolutionary theory come from personal academic pursuit? I nearly had you pegged as an instructor of the biological sciences.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:35   #7
G26S239
NRA Patron

Electrician.

I like things that can be empirically proven. Wire up a 3 phase motor correctly and it rotates correctly, if it rotates the wrong direction just switch 2 of the phases and retest.

Avagadro's number is empirically correct, if it was not than titration, equivalents and calculating unknowns would not work.

Laminating transformer cores is a proven method of minimizing reactance associated with eddy currents.

There is no wishful thinking in any of the above examples. All are proven. No sociology, no invisible friend, predictable results.

Last edited by G26S239; 01-13-2013 at 02:36..
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03   #8
Batesmotel

Realtor. Part time photographer.

I have walked away from deals and clients because the terms of a deal may have violated my ethics. They may have been legal but in my view, which was formed by my religious education, they were not right.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07   #9
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

I work at a facility that houses inmates who are participating in a year to 18 month drug and alcohol treatment program called a "Therapeutic Community". They lean rather heavily on the spiritual, AA, NA, various Native American beliefs and even Wicca and Buddhism.

I can't say It has effected my personal opinions on religion and spirituality in any way. I was pretty set in my opinion when I started there and nothing I've seen has changed my mind.

As far as effecting my job? Well, it is preferred that you "go with the program" so my Atheistic views are really not welcome. So I tend to keep them to myself. If asked directly I do not lie, but I make the conversation as short as possible. I've been approached by clinical staff trying convert me, and when that fails, they try to get me to tell these guys that I do believe in something, anything so that they don't have an example of a clean, sober individual who manages to stay out of prison without the use of a "Higher Power". They really get upset with me when I tell 'em "That ain't happinin."

Most all of my knowledge of science is self taught by reading and conversing with people much smarter than I. And the interwebs.

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Last edited by Lone Wolf8634; 01-13-2013 at 05:08..
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25   #10
FCoulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
I work at a facility that houses inmates who are participating in a year to 18 month drug and alcohol treatment program called a "Therapeutic Community". They lean rather heavily on the spiritual, AA, NA, various Native American beliefs and even Wicca and Buddhism.

I can't say It has effected my personal opinions on religion and spirituality in any way. I was pretty set in my opinion when I started there and nothing I've seen has changed my mind.

As far as effecting my job? Well, it is preferred that you "go with the program" so my Atheistic views are really not welcome. So I tend to keep them to myself. If asked directly I do not lie, but I make the conversation as short as possible. I've been approached by clinical staff trying convert me, and when that fails, they try to get me to tell these guys that I do believe in something, anything so that they don't have an example of a clean, sober individual who manages to stay out of prison without the use of a "Higher Power". They really get upset with me when I tell 'em "That ain't happinin."

Most all of my knowledge of science is self taught by reading and conversing with people much smarter than I. And the interwebs.
I am a retired Paramedic due to a broken back for pulling a person from a car, and a servant of God. Both have determined how I believe in numerous ways.
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35   #11
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

I make jewelry and metal sculptures. I once made a rosary from mammoth ivory and 18K gold. That's the only way I could link my job to religion and I just realized how awesome that is.

Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42   #12
jbotstein1

I am a servant of Medicare. I believe in the highest power of an ICD-9 code. Any who question it are doomed. Out of fear of eternal audits, I cower as I enter diagnoses for the labs and diagnostic tests that I order. I pray nightly that the malpractice attorneys will not judge me and my treatment of patients as having been wrong. They are Medicares angels of death and are ruthless in their pursuit of justice and everything I do is to please them. I dare not question the purpose of many diagnostic studies. I merely order them to please the powers that be. Be merciful upon me oh Medicare. I must push my 8 years of higher education aside and follow protocol or be faced with the ultimate punishment... Litigation.

Last edited by jbotstein1; 01-13-2013 at 05:44..
jbotstein1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51   #13
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I'm a car salesman.

I have no issues with faith or ethics because of my job but I get to meet a lot of great (and some not so great people) which keeps things interesting.

Faith comes first and doesn't change. I just try to keep my behavior consistent with it.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 01-13-2013 at 07:53..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00   #14
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotstein1 View Post
I believe in the highest power of an ICD-9 code. Any who question it are doomed.
And the ICD-10? Heresy? ;^)
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01   #15
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Does your knowledge of evolutionary theory come from personal academic pursuit? I nearly had you pegged as an instructor of the biological sciences.
Yep, personal study.

-ArtificialGrape
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04   #16
NMG26

Thanks for asking.

I got saved in a Baptist church that my mother brought me to as a child. my dad was agnostic Manufacturers Rep, that owned his own company. That is the biggest influence I have.

I grew out of Christianity through my own life experience. It took some 30 years to do.

In high School I got a job in a sharpening shop and learned I had a mechanical aptitude. I like working with machines...........not people so much. I'm not a good communicator.

Army 6 years as a Tank Crew member. Good times. I was Christian at the time. Read my bible, did my memorization verses, and had a good relationship with God through Desert Storm.

When I got out of the Army I went to College for machining. Got a AAS in Manufacturing Engineering and have been a machinist ever since.

I really enjoy talking religion, philosophy, and spirituality in my free time. Working with machines enables be to day dream about the topics as well.

Last edited by NMG26; 01-13-2013 at 16:47..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27   #17
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
I am a retired Paramedic due to a broken back for pulling a person from a car, and a servant of God. Both have determined how I believe in numerous ways.
How long did your broken back take to heal FC? That sounds very painful.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53   #18
FCoulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
How long did your broken back take to heal FC? That sounds very painful.
It is healed as well as it can thanks to a major spinal fusion, trouble is now the severe nerve damage and foot drop.
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 13:02   #19
Bren
NRA Life Member

Today, I'm a Drill Sergeant/Infantryman in the Army reserve. Tomorrow I'm a lawyer for the government and sometimes law enforcement academy instructor. Previously I have been a police officer and police firearms instructor, as well as a hunter, competitive shooter, civilian and armed security firearms instructor and lots of other things, as far as where my "expertise/knowledge base comes from."
Old 01-13-2013, 13:07   #20
Glock36shooter

I am a CPA. Faith doesn't really come into play in my job one way or another as far as performing my job. But I do have to keep the fact that I am a non-believer to myself as it might run off lots of my clients. I live in the south east where people still think if you don't believe that you're in league with the devil. So I have to professionally protect myself from their ignorance.

You talk to people a lot when you're a CPA. And for some reason people share all the intimate details of their lives with a CPA. For example you ask them questions to see if they truly can rightfully claim their dependent on their taxes to see if they meet the relationship, support, and residency tests and all that crap. But they'll continue on to tell you about their cousin slept with their ex-husband and he's now in rehab because he had bad run with some good meth and blah blah blah. Often they'll say something like "Pray for us cause we could sure use it" to which I just smile and say "Ok".
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 13:37   #21
G23Gen4TX

I own a martial arts school and teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay thai to adults and kids.

I grew in Israel and that has thought me a lot about the hypocrisy of religion and how twisted it is. Last "religious" thing I did was my Bar-Mitzvah and it was more of a cultural thing for me.

My education though is in Arts and computer animation. As part of my art education we have learned about Christianity (we are not exposed to it in Israel as the Jewish religion is very protective of itself from outside religions).

Then I moved to the UK where the majority of people are not religious. Then to the US and to Texas out of all places where "Jesus is savior" and everyone thinks I'm going to hell because I'm not religious.

But I also found my non religious friends around here.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 14:43   #22
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Executive Chef and musician.
As a Chef, no effect at all, except that my employees seem to respect me more knowing that I'm a man of faith. This is somewhat evident when they talk of their old boss, often referring to him as a "weird guy who always talked about there not being a God".

As a musician, quite a bit. I played bluegrass for years which is very much Christianity-oriented music. Kinda nice- you never have to worry about equipment getting stolen at bluegrass festivals.
As a Church musician quite a bit too. In this respect, I'm unemployed as I just left my Church due to a politically manipulative Pastor.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 14:56   #23
rohanreginald
Novice

I am not going to say where I work, but I see first hand where federal regulations inhibit private sector growth. I have seen businesses go out of business as a result of more stringent regulations and I have seen first hand where regulations limit growth, product development and revenue production.

I have also seen my agency take stands routinely on paper work issues and go after private entities where the impact on the public is minimal and unsubstantial. On the other hand truly complex issues that do effect the integrity of the public are often brushed aside as noone wants to push the issue as it may prove to be a political hot button.

As a result my religious beliefs haven't changed but my faith in people and government sure have.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by rohanreginald; 01-13-2013 at 17:05..
rohanreginald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 16:53   #24
elsielover

I play classical music, the viola. Music has in no way informed my religious beliefs. I've been fortunate to play and perform with some of the greatest musicians on the planet. Religion never came up. It didn't need to.

Old 01-13-2013, 18:11   #25
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsielover View Post
I play classical music, the viola. Music has in no way informed my religious beliefs. I've been fortunate to play and perform with some of the greatest musicians on the planet. Religion never came up. It didn't need to.

Cool job.