GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 14:37   #21
G23Gen4TX

I own a martial arts school and teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay thai to adults and kids.

I grew in Israel and that has thought me a lot about the hypocrisy of religion and how twisted it is. Last "religious" thing I did was my Bar-Mitzvah and it was more of a cultural thing for me.

My education though is in Arts and computer animation. As part of my art education we have learned about Christianity (we are not exposed to it in Israel as the Jewish religion is very protective of itself from outside religions).

Then I moved to the UK where the majority of people are not religious. Then to the US and to Texas out of all places where "Jesus is savior" and everyone thinks I'm going to hell because I'm not religious.

But I also found my non religious friends around here.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 15:43   #22
GLWyandotte
Señor Member

Executive Chef and musician.
As a Chef, no effect at all, except that my employees seem to respect me more knowing that I'm a man of faith. This is somewhat evident when they talk of their old boss, often referring to him as a "weird guy who always talked about there not being a God".

As a musician, quite a bit. I played bluegrass for years which is very much Christianity-oriented music. Kinda nice- you never have to worry about equipment getting stolen at bluegrass festivals.
As a Church musician quite a bit too. In this respect, I'm unemployed as I just left my Church due to a politically manipulative Pastor.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 15:56   #23
rohanreginald
Novice

I am not going to say where I work, but I see first hand where federal regulations inhibit private sector growth. I have seen businesses go out of business as a result of more stringent regulations and I have seen first hand where regulations limit growth, product development and revenue production.

I have also seen my agency take stands routinely on paper work issues and go after private entities where the impact on the public is minimal and unsubstantial. On the other hand truly complex issues that do effect the integrity of the public are often brushed aside as noone wants to push the issue as it may prove to be a political hot button.

As a result my religious beliefs haven't changed but my faith in people and government sure have.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by rohanreginald; 01-13-2013 at 18:05..
rohanreginald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 17:53   #24
elsielover

I play classical music, the viola. Music has in no way informed my religious beliefs. I've been fortunate to play and perform with some of the greatest musicians on the planet. Religion never came up. It didn't need to.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-13-2013, 19:11   #25
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsielover View Post
I play classical music, the viola. Music has in no way informed my religious beliefs. I've been fortunate to play and perform with some of the greatest musicians on the planet. Religion never came up. It didn't need to.

Cool job.
Old 01-13-2013, 19:18   #26
Glock36shooter

Quote:

VERY VERY COOL JOB! Ever work with John Williams?
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:48   #27
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Physician Assistant for the last 17 years, Pharmacy tech for 10 before that. My first 20 years spent in the military, in a lot of different places among a lot of different cultures.

My personal opinion on what I have seen, is that people can be extremely good and selfless beyond comprehension, and bad and selfish to the same extent. I've said it often, but there are heroes and zero's in every group.

The sum total of my experiences lead me to believe there might be, or at least have been a deity at some time, and the nature or identity of that deity is unknown to me, if they exist, or existed. It's just about equally possible that none has ever existed. Oh well.

But, whether or not there is or is not, or has ever been a deity. It's still never too hard to do the right thing.

Currently I work in an internal medicine sub-specialty. I get to say I fight cancer every day, and mean it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-13-2013 at 20:51..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:58   #28
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

I am a furniture maker. All hand crafted, exotic wood. No metal fasteners, all mortice and tenon or similar interlocking, hand crafted joinery.

It has no bearing on my lack of or choice of faith.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 01-13-2013 at 21:00..
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 23:19   #29
elsielover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
VERY VERY COOL JOB! Ever work with John Williams?
Many times. He would come and conduct the orchestra for a week's worth of subscription concerts, usually 4 concerts, all of his music. He recorded the score to the movie "Lincoln" with the symphony last year.

Old 01-13-2013, 23:24   #30
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Many times. He would come and conduct the orchestra for a week's worth of subscription concerts, usually 4 concerts, all of his music. He recorded the score to the movie "Lincoln" with the symphony last year.

I'm so jealous of your job. How old were you when you began working with the Viola? I am musically inclined and often wondered where I might have wound up had I been put in serious training when I was little. So you played in the "Lincoln" score? Can't wait to hear it.
Old 01-13-2013, 23:27   #31
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Physician Assistant for the last 17 years, Pharmacy tech for 10 before that.
Are you an MD? DMD? PhD?
Old 01-13-2013, 23:30   #32
chickenwing

Quote:
Physician Assistant for the last 17 years, Pharmacy tech for 10 before that. My first 20 years spent in the military, in a lot of different places among a lot of different cultures.

My personal opinion on what I have seen, is that people can be extremely good and selfless beyond comprehension, and bad and selfish to the same extent. I've said it often, but there are heroes and zero's in every group.

The sum total of my experiences lead me to believe there might be, or at least have been a deity at some time, and the nature or identity of that deity is unknown to me, if they exist, or existed. It's just about equally possible that none has ever existed. Oh well.

But, whether or not there is or is not, or has ever been a deity. It's still never too hard to do the right thing.

Currently I work in an internal medicine sub-specialty. I get to say I fight cancer every day, and mean it.
Regards to the bold, well said.

And as a cancer survivor, thanks. I owe my life to hard working medical professionals like yourself. Any disagreements aside, keep up the good work!

I work as a land surveyor. The job has never affected how I view religion and my disbelief in a god or gods.

The people I have worked with through the years though have had many different views. I've worked with Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Atheist, and Agnostics. I've had some spirited debates, and some get angry, or just don't feel like talking about it.

One party chief who I honestly hold in high regards, and I am still in contact with despite not working with him in five years is a uber Christian. Oh boy did we have some debates while working. Stand up guy all around.

Same with the Muslim party chief I worked with for a couple of years. Never really got into any theological debates, mostly economics. Another cool guy though.

My last few years I worked as a construction surveyor I worked with a Atheist party chief. I'd say he influenced me the most. I was already an Atheist he reenforced it.

He was a Huey pilot in Vietnam, coolest person I've ever known. Taught me everything I know when it comes to surveying. Which I ended up having to teach back to him after his stroke. RIP Tom.

I think CavDoc is right, there are good and bad. Character is what matters. Not faith, religion or government.

chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 23:36   #33
elsielover

Quote:
I'm so jealous of your job. How old were you when you began working with the Viola? I am musically inclined and often wondered where I might have wound up had I been put in serious training when I was little. So you played in the "Lincoln" score? Can't wait to hear it.
I started when I was 9 or 10. To achieve a high level, like in everything, you have to put in a lot of time. In college and graduate school 8 hours a day practicing wasn't unusual. While the competition for jobs was and is fierce, seeking perfection because the music deserved it was the goal. I retired from the symphony 3 years ago so I'm not on that soundtrack. Others though, many classical albums (32 Grammies), a lot of radio/tv commercials, and pop records including a cut on a Smashing Pumpkins album which forever cemented my relationship with my daughter!

Old 01-13-2013, 23:42   #34
Glock36shooter

Quote:
including a cut on a Smashing Pumpkins album which forever cemented my relationship with my daughter!
WHICH ONE?! I am a huge fan. I just took my chick to see them in VA on Dec 9th. Been a fan since the early 90's.

You are now officially the coolest person on this forum LOL. Was it Disarm or Tonight Tonight or something?
Old 01-14-2013, 00:01   #35
ViennaGambit

I've been a high school history teacher for 5 years now and also used to teach an AP course on world religions, but through a more anthropological and art history approach.

Prior to this I was a wall street broker and left for ethical reasons, not so much religious reasons. I wanted to make a difference.

I have a double major in archaeology and biological anthropology and a masters in education, both from ivy league schools.

Based on what I see in school and the stories of my students, my beliefs are challenged every day. Some days I can't believe a God could exist that could be so cruel, and other days I see his plan.

I actually wind up discussing religion quite a bit with my students - we just finished a unit on the reformation & counter reformation and it always gets us discussing if God was created by man as a way to control... God comes up a lot when I also do a unit on genocide - even my most devout students are always challenged. I refuse to provide my opinion and let them come to their own conclusions. I brought a holocaust survivor to speak with my students last year and the discussion on God was very intense and emotional. Good stuff.

Funny enough, I have never been religious really, just spiritual, but now that I will be a father for the first time, the notion is nagging me a bit...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33   #36
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Are you an MD? DMD? PhD?
PA-C.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/20...pshots/16.html

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58   #37
Glock36shooter

Quote:
So you aren't an actual Doctor?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42   #38
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

In and around IT for the last 21 years. Software Engineer, DBA, Project Manger, etc. Currently adding an MBA to my skillset. The neat thing about IT is that you get exposure to so many different sectors (military, financial, healthcare, education, oil & gas etc.)

I do think the exposure to so many different sectors has given me a more well-rounded worldview than most, but I can't say it speciifcally either pushed me towards or away from religion as a whole.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-14-2013 at 13:11..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28   #39
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I'm curious to know where everyone's expertise/knowledge base comes from. Has your job affected your beliefs or have your beliefs affected your job? Give some details, guys.

I work industrial construction and am also a full time STEM student. Neither work, nor school gives me pressure to believe either way. I've had very insightful discussions with coworkers, but never felt any pressure to believe and never exerted pressure otherwise. School is full of "cool kids." I don't talk to many of them; most are only about as smart as a really smart dog.
I'm a Controller for a REIT. I don't think my faith is either shaped by my profession nor affected by it.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33   #40
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
I am a CPA. Faith doesn't really come into play in my job one way or another as far as performing my job. But I do have to keep the fact that I am a non-believer to myself as it might run off lots of my clients. I live in the south east where people still think if you don't believe that you're in league with the devil. So I have to professionally protect myself from their ignorance.

You talk to people a lot when you're a CPA. And for some reason people share all the intimate details of their lives with a CPA. For example you ask them questions to see if they truly can rightfully claim their dependent on their taxes to see if they meet the relationship, support, and residency tests and all that crap. But they'll continue on to tell you about their cousin slept with their ex-husband and he's now in rehab because he had bad run with some good meth and blah blah blah. Often they'll say something like "Pray for us cause we could sure use it" to which I just smile and say "Ok".
Interesting....You and I have a similar background.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote