SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 18:16   #1
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Sig Sauer P290RS

I sold my Kel Tec PF-9 the other day in a FTF transaction with a coworker. I went to the local gun show today hoping to find something to replace it (been having mag drop problems with the PF-9). I found a nice NIB Beretta Nano that interested me, but the guy wanted $475. I offered $400, but dude said that in the current market he doesn't have to haggle price. So I left and went to the local Air Force base AAFES store. Found the Nano there for $435, but right next to it was a Sig P290RS (re-strike) for $500. It came with a 6rd and 8rd mag and a paddle holster. I could have found it cheaper elsewhere, but on the base there is no sales tax and no FFL charges. Time to lube it and take for a test drive.

General Firearms Forum

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:11   #2
Bruce M

Very nice!
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17   #3
silversport

looks good...I look forward to your range report...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12   #4
G26S239
NRA Patron

Congratulations.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:42   #5
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Range Report

I wasn't able to go immediately to the range after bringing this gun home Sunday evening. I had to wait until Saturday afternoon when I got off work.

Anyway, first, the little gun is a PITA to disassemble and almost as hard to reassemble. The printed instructions are worthless as far as really understanding what is needed. Thankfully, many kind people post YouTube videos.

The grip side panels and bottom of the mags are coated with what I can only describe as skateboard tape. Very rough, but I'm sure it will allow one's hands to keep a firm grip when wet.

The only ammo I had to break it in with was Tul Ammo. I tried finding more quality brands around town this week, but no luck. The 6 round mag is a PITA to load to capacity, but I prevailed. The 8 round is surprisingly easier. On my very first trigger pull all I hear is a "click." (Oh, crap!). I rack the slide and eject the round. I see a primer strike, so I'm thinking crappy Tul Ammo!

There were other light strikes (about 1 or 2 per mag). I remembered that the RS stands for re-strike, so when I didn't get a bang, I just pulled the trigger again and got good results. After about 100 rounds of this and getting light primer strikes, I'm thinking the problem may be the gun.

Fortunately, a friend of mine showed up and he let me use some Remington UMC he had lying around the bottom of his range bag. Those went Bang every time, so I began to feel better about the gun. Then I ran a few mags of my carry ammo and all went well.

The gun itself feels good in the hand. The trigger pull is about 7 lbs -- firm, but not like the 9 lbs of pull needed for my old PF-9. The trigger pull is long since there is no external safety, but not so long that you want to flinch before it breaks. I did not test to see what the reset was like. I released the trigger all the way before the next shot.

It was more pleasant to shoot than my PF-9. After about 100 rounds in my PF-9, I'm ready for a break. This P290RS is very comfortable to shoot with little muzzle flip and manageable recoil.

The three dot night sights were crisply visible and the gun was dead on target (or at least I was dead on target with the gun.) No need to adjust the sights.

The paddle holster that came with the gun holds nicely on the belt and pulls the gun close to the body. I can use it for concealed carry with an over-sized t-shirt. The holster does not have any passive or active retention. The gun slips in and out very easily.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00   #6
silversport

sounds like after a bit of a break in it works fine...thanks!

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42   #7
bac1023

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:46   #8
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
I sold my Kel Tec PF-9 the other day in a FTF transaction with a coworker. I went to the local gun show today hoping to find something to replace it (been having mag drop problems with the PF-9). I found a nice NIB Beretta Nano that interested me, but the guy wanted $475. I offered $400, but dude said that in the current market he doesn't have to haggle price. So I left and went to the local Air Force base AAFES store. Found the Nano there for $435, but right next to it was a Sig P290RS (re-strike) for $500. It came with a 6rd and 8rd mag and a paddle holster. I could have found it cheaper elsewhere, but on the base there is no sales tax and no FFL charges. Time to lube it and take for a test drive.

General Firearms Forum

wow. I have 5 NIB Nano's for $399. A few used ones for $350 that have maybe 25 rds thru.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:58   #9
cyphertext

Bumping this old thread since I am looking at doing the same thing...

LTB, what are your thoughts on the P290RS after a year and a half with it? Do you pocket carry? Do you find the weight of it less comfortable to carry than the PF9?
cyphertext is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:17   #10
C6vetter

Had one with Sig laser and sold it. Never had restrike issues and once you learn the trigger, it is a very accurate 9mm. Its not an ideal pocket carry, thats the role of an LCP. Hence, sold it for Glock 30s that i carry iwb. Well built but DAO, long pull wasnt real fun,
C6vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 16:28   #11
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6vetter View Post
Had one with Sig laser and sold it. Never had restrike issues and once you learn the trigger, it is a very accurate 9mm. Its not an ideal pocket carry, thats the role of an LCP. Hence, sold it for Glock 30s that i carry iwb. Well built but DAO, long pull wasnt real fun,
I'm surprised you sold yours... from reading the threads on this pistol, you seemed like you were a fan.

I went ahead and purchased one. I haven't carried mine yet. I have put it in the pocket unloaded, and it was good. I also put it in the holster that came with it, and it wasn't bad at all. It concealed well under a t-shirt, but I want more retention than what that holster offers.
cyphertext is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:05   #12
bac1023

Very nice

My BIL just picked up one of those...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20   #13
linkscoach
SFC OIFIII OEFX

The RS I had was very solid. It was very accurate and had zero issues through 500 rounds. The trigger smoothed out nicely I I really enjoyed carrying it. It was a little heavy for pocket carry and ultimately that's why I sold it.

I ran the gambit on pocket autos trying to find the perfect pocket pistol. I don't pocket carry often but when I do I need it to be small, light, and reliable. I ended up going back to a J frame for this role and haven't looked back. That being said, if weight was less of an issue the 299RS is a solid choice.
linkscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09   #14
ColdSteelNail

For those eligible to shop at PX's keep an eye on their weekly sales flyers (online or via mail). The bases that sell firearms have something on sale nearly every week. Sometimes it's brand specific like all Glocks 10% off or all .45 cal handguns 10% off.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 14:04   #15
linkscoach
SFC OIFIII OEFX

I don't mean this as a negative toward ColdSteelNail but I know they run specials in PX's but I've never personally found a good deal on anything firearms related in a PX. They always seems to be overpriced on ammo and firearms. I know I can get a bluelabel Glock for around $125 less than what they price them at.
linkscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 18:14   #16
C6vetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
I'm surprised you sold yours... from reading the threads on this pistol, you seemed like you were a fan.

I went ahead and purchased one. I haven't carried mine yet. I have put it in the pocket unloaded, and it was good. I also put it in the holster that came with it, and it wasn't bad at all. It concealed well under a t-shirt, but I want more retention than what that holster offers.
I wasn't planning on it ... just wasn't using it for CC (G27 and G30s are preferred with LCP for true pocket) & wasn't real fun at the range. Quality and accuracy were very good for a gun its size. I am still a fan vs. other single stack 9mm options out there. Congrats on yours and use it more than I did for certain!
C6vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 18:39   #17
CBennett

Did you take the striker pin out and get that striker channel cleaned out well? I had the EXACT same issues as you did with my Ruger SR9c when i first got it..cleaned everything except that and got light strikes with WWB rounds....ran perfect with everything else....then I read something about this problem i had..took the pin out and the striker channel(and pin) had almost what looked like light color packing grease(almost like a light cosmoline) in there cleaned it all up and never had a problem since...
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote