SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 17:56   #41
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
The neat thing about IT is that you get exposure to so many different sectors (military, financial, healthcare, education, oil & gas etc.)

I do think the exposure to so many different sectors has given me a more well-rounded worldview than most, but I can't say it specifically either pushed me towards or away from religion as a whole.
I agree. I do the technical design/sales at Dell for the data center equipment. I have worked with lots of the fortune 500 companies in every sector and the government, over various time periods. It does help with being well rounded and seeing how the different groups handle things...what is important to them(solution vs price), how they do purchasing, politics involved in the purchase, etc....

While this job has not influenced my religious views at all, it was during this time that I went from being a Christian to realizing I was really an Atheist. Once I figured that out, it did finally hit me on why I enjoy this job. From a technical standpoint I deal with a lot of "this is the solution that is right for you", or "No, this will not work at all, don't try it". Then on solutions that we haven't run across before we can (like a scientist) say, "I am not sure, lets test that out in our lab and see if it works." I enjoy working with with evidence. I like being able to say Yes or No, and then throw out numbers or papers to show evidence of why it is Yes or No. I don't like guesses. No company buying millions of dollars in servers is going to accept "Have faith that this solution will work". They want evidence/proof. It wasn't until I realized that I was an Atheist, that I realized the proof thing was one of the big reasons I enjoyed this work.

Last edited by Altaris; 01-14-2013 at 17:58..
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 18:45   #42
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Are you an MD? DMD? PhD?
None of the above. He is an ex-medic.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 19:14   #43
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Nope Musky, you are very wrong. I led medics in combat many times, but I was never honored to be a medic. Those guys are forking awesome heroes. If you've never seen one in action, you have no idea. Every single place those guys go to work, there has been at least one large and heavy piece of metal, or a small and very fast piece of metal that has hurt someone. There is no such thing as a safe working environment for those guys. But they know the risks, and are awesome for accepting them to help others. I was always right there beside them when it was really scary, because that IS where people like ME need to be when it's bad.

Me? I was a pharmacy tech my first several years. I spent my first 3 years on the east/west german border right in the middle of the fulda gap, in Fulda actually.

When I got to Ft. Campbell, I was heading to the hospital, and was not allowed to go to Air Assault school like all the other guys. I tried for years. Even talking my way in to a class date signed off on by a brigade CSM, but the hospital said I was too important to let go for 3 weeks, which was of course BS.

So, I simply decided that if I could not get out of the Hospital rut, that I was going to leave the Army, especially after going to Desert Storm as a Pharm Tech for a MASH unit.

So, I busted my backside going to school 15 to 20 hours a week while working 40+ hours a week for the Army on rotating shift work, many times having to pay money out of my pocket to have others pull shifts for me so I could attend classes. The going rate was about 4 times our hourly rate.

So, after a lengthy process of application and letters, and phone calls, and months and months of waiting, I found out I was accepted.

I worked very hard in school. Missed my first exam question on the seventh exam. I did very well. So did a lot of other guys and gals. Over 50% of our class graduated with honors, and all of them earned it.

We all went to combat arms units. We all knew we were heading there. Not all of the guys that went to PA school that I know are still alive. Some of them died doing what they had to do. I took my chances more often than the average guy. I never shied of going outside the wire. Where ever Soldiers were being hurt, that was where I was meant to be. I've been shot at with scuds, Multiple surface to air missiles (on the ground and in the plane), multiple types of rockets, mortars and grenades. I guess I'm lucky.

Religious Issues

We were all ordered by our Brigade CDR, as staff officers, to go outside of the wire on a convoy. That pic is from inside a "buffalo", taken by me, on a route clearance operation. We went looking for IED's that everyone else hoped to avoid. That's were the boss said people were most likely to get hurt, so that's where I went every other week.

Religious Issues
Just training, we didn't stand outside when we were playing with IED's.

I have often been asked to write a book about what I have seen, by people that have actually written books.

I have fellow PA's that have been in much tougher spots, and given much more than I have given, including their health, and in more than one case, their lives doing their job, and trying to do more than was asked of them.

So, Musky, smelly fellow or whatever, get off at the next buss stop, so I can throw you under it. You ARE NOT worth keeping on the buss.

I hate to wish this on anyone, but I really hope a couple of you guys witness as much death, destruction, and mayhem, involving those you care about, as you dismiss among those that have been there.

I really wish, with all my heart and potential soul, that you understand life as I understand it. You will cry a river if that ever happens.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-14-2013 at 19:43..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 19:28   #44
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
So you aren't an actual Doctor?
No S#!t Sherlock, where exactly have you been for the last 7 years??

Wake up and take a look at a profile or two. Look at the insignia on the hat in the avatar, learn a little bit of jargon, but don't blame me for your negligent or willful ignorance.

All with military experience here, will tell you that the highest ranking military medical person within shouting distance is known as "Doc". Not doctor, that's different. The highest assigned medical officer within a maneuver element was referred to as the "surgeon", even if he was not a surgeon, but a PA, ER Doctor, GMO Doctor or whatever. It's the way people refer to each other in places you have never been.

Last deployment, I was the Brigade Surgeon of an Engineer Brigade in Baghdad. I wasn't a Doctor, or a Surgeon. But I practiced medicine and trauma stabilization surgery very well. I had unfortunately had a lot of experience in that & was very good at it, or fortunately, depending on your perspective.

A lot of younger guys went outside the wire to get to the wounded faster at my urging. That's a good thing, well, if you are on our side.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-14-2013 at 19:40..
Old 01-14-2013, 19:44   #45
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

I find myself in the unusual position of siding with CavDoc on something. I clearly remember him freely offering that he was a PA and not an MD on several occasions. I have known some very competent PAs over the years and believe that the whole Physician Assistant / Nurse Practitioner career field is an important part to solving our current healthcare crisis. I can also confirm that even combat medics and corpsman in the military are addressed with the honorary title "doc".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 19:50   #46
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I find myself in the unusual position of siding with CavDoc on something. I clearly remember him freely offering that he was a PA and not an MD on several occasions. I have known some very competent PAs over the years and believe that the whole Physician Assistant / Nurse Practitioner career field is an important part to solving our current healthcare crisis. I can also confirm that even combat medics and corpsman in the military are addressed with the honorary title "doc".
Unusually, I find myself thanking you for stating the truth. Regardless of the other disagreements we have have had, your stock has gone up a notch or two.

There is a slight glimmer of hope, that we may someday be able to disagree on some very fundamental points, and still be on the same side in the bigger picture. We'll see.
Old 01-14-2013, 20:58   #47
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

Wake up and take a look at a profile or two. Look at the insignia on the hat in the avatar, learn a little bit of jargon, but don't blame me for your negligent or willful ignorance.

All with military experience here, will tell you that the highest ranking military medical person within shouting distance is known as "Doc". Not doctor, that's different. The highest assigned medical officer within a maneuver element was referred to as the "surgeon", even if he was not a surgeon, but a PA, ER Doctor, GMO Doctor or whatever. It's the way people refer to each other in places you have never been.

Last deployment, I was the Brigade Surgeon of an Engineer Brigade in Baghdad. I wasn't a Doctor, or a Surgeon. But I practiced medicine and trauma stabilization surgery very well. I had unfortunately had a lot of experience in that & was very good at it, or fortunately, depending on your perspective.

A lot of younger guys went outside the wire to get to the wounded faster at my urging. That's a good thing, well, if you are on our side.
That is just awesome.

Not your credentials (they speak for themselves), not the title you hold (that should draw respect rather than ridicule, most of us could not stomach what you and the same as you have seen), but the fact that you and others like you served with our bravest. Fighting and keeping our freedom.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:00   #48
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Am I ok with making a comment on your avatar change?

Welcome to change.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 01-14-2013, 21:14   #49
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
I was a peacetime Navy Airdale and even I know ^^^ that.
Old 01-14-2013, 21:43   #50
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Am I ok with making a comment on your avatar change?

Welcome to change.
I got tired of simplistic people perseverating on the avatar rather then the content of my posts. It's a Firesign Theater album cover with pictures of Marx and Lennon. Groucho Marx and John Lennon.

Leona Helmsley
Old 01-14-2013, 21:52   #51
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
I got tired of simplistic people perseverating on the avatar rather then the content of my posts. It's a Firesign Theater album cover with pictures of Marx and Lennon. Groucho Marx and John Lennon.
I grew up on the Firesign Theater. "Porgy, Tirebitter. He's a spy and a girl delighter..."
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 01-14-2013, 22:03   #52
Andy123

Peace is my professions. (War is just a hobby. ) Hey, somebody was bound to do it!

Currently an attorney for large industrial / power EPC company. Previously an engineer. Grew up Catholic. Mostly agnostic, leaning towards atheist these days. Religion doesn't come into my job, but faith sometimes does.

"Have faith boss, we're not going to lose this one!"

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:08   #53
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
Peace is my professions. (War is just a hobby. ) Hey, somebody was bound to do it!
See my sig line. I was amongst the last SAC trained killers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-15-2013 at 15:22..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:31   #54
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
I grew up on the Firesign Theater. "Porgy, Tirebitter. He's a spy and a girl delighter..."
"You can believe me, because I never lie, and
I'm always right."

Leona Helmsley
Old 01-14-2013, 22:33   #55
Glock36shooter

Quote:

So you aren't a real Doctor. That's all I wanted to know. Didn't need your excuses.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:34   #56
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:

I'm a very firm believer that a doctor is often the least qualified of the medical professionals to practice medicine. I try to go with an NP when I need to go to the "doctor."

I've had some great doctors with my varied health problems, but I've had far more grossly incompetent doctors. Thankfully the PA, NP, or RN was able to inform me what was up to make decisions.

If the medical profession holds up through Obamacare I'm thinking about making Medical Physics my grad program.

Got a way off topic question for you. A couple local hospitals offer associates degrees as a PA. I've never heard of a bachelor's program around here. Obviously there is one, but what are the differences between a PA with an associates degree and one with a master's?

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 00:57   #57
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Yep, I love to hate Doc but he's never claimed to be a doctor. He's explained when asked about it several times.

And I have no past experience with PAs except for a chick I met online who didn't tell me she had herpes until her hand was in my pants but I understand that one data point is fairly useless.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01   #58
FCoulter

Quote:
No, he said he was physician assistant, its a doctors aid, they do most of the duties a doctor would do. If you go to a urgent care or ER chances are you see a PA and not a doctor, even though you ate billed for a doctor.

Maybe you got him confused with me, I stated I was a retired Medic.

Last edited by FCoulter; 01-15-2013 at 06:06..
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39   #59
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I'm a very firm believer that a doctor is often the least qualified of the medical professionals to practice medicine. I try to go with an NP when I need to go to the "doctor."

I've had some great doctors with my varied health problems, but I've had far more grossly incompetent doctors. Thankfully the PA, NP, or RN was able to inform me what was up to make decisions.

If the medical profession holds up through Obamacare I'm thinking about making Medical Physics my grad program.

Got a way off topic question for you. A couple local hospitals offer associates degrees as a PA. I've never heard of a bachelor's program around here. Obviously there is one, but what are the differences between a PA with an associates degree and one with a master's?
I wasn't aware that there were any associates programs left. It actually used to be a "certificate" program when the profession started with Viet Nam era former SF medics being trained as PA's. For about the last 30 years most were BS, then the last 15 years or so most seemed to convert to Masters Programs. There are a few talking about PhD programs. Degree creep happens. There are a lot getting into the field, so colleges can ask for just about any prerequisite and have enough candidates to still turn several qualified ones away.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/20...pshots/16.html

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-15-2013 at 06:45..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42   #60
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
So you aren't a real Doctor. That's all I wanted to know. Didn't need your excuses.
We all know where you were going with that.