GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 16:28   #901
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Go to 2:40 in the following vid:

Glock Gen4 vs Gen3 Part 2 - YouTube


Thanks for the vid. It confirms my theory that the shelf difference is for seating the new RSA, however as people have posted on other forums, this position is null after the pistol is assembled... Which would explain why everyone who has posted that they are using a Gen3 barrel in a Gen4 gun has had 100% reliability.

I will have to put that theory to fact myself next weekend, as I have just won an auction on a Gen3 G32 barrel for my Gen4 G23. I will be running the 200 rounds I have of WWB .357sig to ensure it works. Results will be posted here. Hope I don't break a wrist...
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:36   #902
SARDG
Senior Member
 
SARDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida's Left Coast
Posts: 7,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Go to 2:40 in the following vid:
Considering the source (YouTube) I would argue on that basis alone. Glock Factory Armorers cringe at the mere mention of YouTube. BUT, in the video, the shelves do look different between the 34 Gen3 and 17 Gen4. I would also say that he was comparing a 17 to a 34 barrel - but those should be exactly the same in that area anyway.

I have a Gen3 17, a Gen3 34, and a Gen4 17 whose barrels look to the naked eye exactly the same at the shelves. This prompted me to get out the calipers. On all my barrels the measurement(s) where I was best able to take them - top of shelf of the half moon cutout to the locking-notch/barrel hood corner on the barrel(s) all measure the same - .6665".

The Gen3s are both ODs with test fire dates of:
G17 - 08/30/10
G34 - 10/06/10

The Gen4 G17 is 06/21/12

In addition, and as noted above in my post # 894, for current ordering purposes, the Glock Armorer's parts list (also known as "Will-Fit Info") shows no difference between any generation barrels except as also noted above in that post #894.

We know that Glock does make product improvements and have (for instance) increased the support in .40cal chambers over the years.

That's as scientific and as rational as I can make it, but I have not called Glock.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:51   #903
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
Judging from my research and all the accounts/personal data of other's, I've pretty much narrowed the Gen3 vs Gen4 barrel debate/mystery down to two points:


1) The Gen3 and Gen4 barrels are different.



2) It doesn't matter.
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works

Last edited by T-Rod45; 01-11-2013 at 18:52..
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:03   #904
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rod45 View Post
Judging from my research and all the accounts/personal data of other's, I've pretty much narrowed the Gen3 vs Gen4 barrel debate/mystery down to two points:


1) The Gen3 and Gen4 barrels are different.



2) It doesn't matter.
Sounds like that is probably right.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 18:52   #905
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
Well, it is sure nice to see a lot more folks coming to terms with the 357 sig. I transitioned to this caliber in a G31 back in 2001 and have loved it ever since. I particularly liked the posts made by GT member English, as usual in this topic and I am also a believer in Dr. Courtney´s work. Some of you should head more over toward the 357 sig. forum.

stay safe all.
You must really like the .357 SIG.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55   #906
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
You must really like the .357 SIG.
As a matter of fact I do SC, not to discredit the other popular calibers, I respect you all, and recognize the breach between them is small. But there is something enormously satisfying for me when I shoot my 357 sig. Oddly enough, I shoot more .40 than anything else, but can handle 357 sig just as good. In terminal ballistics, I give it an edge over the others.
__________________
"Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit"--President Ronald Reagan
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12   #907
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
As a matter of fact I do SC, not to discredit the other popular calibers, I respect you all, and recognize the breach between them is small. But there is something enormously satisfying for me when I shoot my 357 sig. Oddly enough, I shoot more .40 than anything else, but can handle 357 sig just as good. In terminal ballistics, I give it an edge over the others.
Is the .357Sig muzzle blast too bright at night?

SCMB
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03   #908
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Is the .357Sig muzzle blast too bright at night?

SCMB
Yes it is, and loud too, but not to where it will make a huge difference. I use XS sights and crimson trace on my G32 and G31. I do most of my night work at no more than 7 yards, maybe that´s too short a distance for some I don´t know. Come to think of it, I have a night session coming up on Friday
__________________
"Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit"--President Ronald Reagan
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07   #909
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
Yes it is, and loud too, but not to where it will make a huge difference. I use XS sights and crimson trace on my G32 and G31. I do most of my night work at no more than 7 yards, maybe that´s too short a distance for some I don´t know. Come to think of it, I have a night session coming up on Friday
Best of luck at your night session.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:18   #910
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
TRIFECTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caliber Corner

Finally got my G32 barrel! The Gen4 RSA fits in the Gen3 barrel cut out perfectly. Racked it about 30 times and chambered a few rounds of .357sig, and so far it seems to functon just fine. Can't wait to get to the range and put it thru its paces.

3-guns-in-1, baby........

Caliber Corner
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:37   #911
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Is the .357Sig muzzle blast too bright at night?

SCMB
Low flash powders can really help to cut down on muzzle flash. If I would shoot my outside range handloads (power pistol) at night I would probably go blind. PP is a very flashy powder in many calibers.

Jefferybehr here on GT posted some testing he did with powders at night with the .357sig but I can't find it. Some produced very little muzzle flash.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 23:01   #912
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rod45 View Post
TRIFECTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caliber Corner

Finally got my G32 barrel! The Gen4 RSA fits in the Gen3 barrel cut out perfectly. Racked it about 30 times and chambered a few rounds of .357sig, and so far it seems to functon just fine. Can't wait to get to the range and put it thru its paces.

3-guns-in-1, baby........
Nice setup. I need to get a 4th gen G-32 RSA for my 3rd gen G-32 and compare it with the Wolff recoil system I have.

Quote:
Caliber Corner
Do you happen to know what the spring weight is on the gen 4 RSA assembly? I've grown quite fond of the #20 Wolff spring's characteristics.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:30   #913
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Nice setup. I need to get a 4th gen G-32 RSA for my 3rd gen G-32 and compare it with the Wolff recoil system I have.



Do you happen to know what the spring weight is on the gen 4 RSA assembly? I've grown quite fond of the #20 Wolff spring's characteristics.
Thanks! I have no idea on the spring weight but it's gotta be on the web somewhere...
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:35   #914
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
Oh I forgot to mention! I have 150 rounds of Underwood Ammo coming in tomorrow!! I'll be heading to the range Saturday to do a function test with the gen3 barrel in my gen4 G23... 150 rounds of WWB then 50-100 of Underwood.

If it runs, and I like the shootability, then I'll be carrying with Underwood in the .357 configuration. 1,500fps baby! Stay tuned...
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51   #915
scottyd2506
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I've grown quite fond of the #20 Wolff spring's characteristics.


I bought one of those 20 lb springs and I like it. Shooting full power 357 sig loads from my Glock 32 with the stock spring seemed to SLAM back the slide on recoil. esp the new underwood 125 gold dot 1500 fps loads.
This puts excessive wear on a gun. the 20 lb spring cures that.


I only put maybe dozen rounds trough it with stock spring. You can tell a difference when you pull slide back.
scottyd2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27   #916
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd2506 View Post
I bought one of those 20 lb springs and I like it. Shooting full power 357 sig loads from my Glock 32 with the stock spring seemed to SLAM back the slide on recoil. esp the new underwood 125 gold dot 1500 fps loads.
This puts excessive wear on a gun. the 20 lb spring cures that.


I only put maybe dozen rounds trough it with stock spring. You can tell a difference when you pull slide back.
I haven't shot any hyped .357sig ammo except for some 2007-version of Double Tap that may or may not live up to stated velocity figures, but I do know that every range and premium JHP ammo I've shot after installing the Wolff #20 RSA system is much more manageable than with the stock Glock RSA assembly. I understand that Underwood's published figures are the real deal so if you've moderated the recoil with the #20 spring then we've got another testimonial for the heavier assembly.

It just hasn't made any sense to me why Glock uses a standard 18# spring for 9mm, .40S&W, and .357sig. Instinctively I feel that .40S&W and .357sig should have a heavier spring load than 18# as standard issue.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32   #917
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I haven't shot any hyped .357sig ammo except for some 2007-version of Double Tap that may or may not live up to stated velocity figures, but I do know that every range and premium JHP ammo I've shot after installing the Wolff #20 RSA system is much more manageable than with the stock Glock RSA assembly. I understand that Underwood's published figures are the real deal so if you've moderated the recoil with the #20 spring then we've got another testimonial for the heavier assembly.

It just hasn't made any sense to me why Glock uses a standard 18# spring for 9mm, .40S&W, and .357sig. Instinctively I feel that .40S&W and .357sig should have a heavier spring load than 18# as standard issue.
And a spring change in a Glock is a simple maneuver . . . .
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 14:25   #918
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock
 
T-Rod45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,111
I don't even know if they make heavier springs for the Gen4...
__________________
•21SF gen3
•26 gen3
•20 gen3 (sold)
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 14:37   #919
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
And a spring change in a Glock is a simple maneuver . . . .
Yes it is with the Wolff system but I never found a stock Glock RSA assembly that offered heavier springs. I tried putting a flat wound 20# ISMI spring on a Glock guide rod but it was very difficult mechanically and because I had to dissemble the part to remove the Glock spring I never did trust it. I'm confident it will work, just not comfortable with taking apart the stock Glock RSA to put an aftermarket part on a Glock guide rod.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 15:51   #920
rustytxrx
Senior Member
 
rustytxrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
Sorry I don't have a glock 357 sig but I have a neat one.

This is a Sig 229 SC sports Combo. has two barrels. A 357 Sig with compensator and target back sight plus a 40 cal slide and barrel. The letter is authentication that the serial number is a SIG Sauer P229 Sports Combo. It was maunfactured in December of 2001.

Caliber Corner



edit if this type thing interests you it is stamped made in Germany
__________________
Rusty
Texas, I luv u

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-19-2013 at 16:07..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:52.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,056
321 Members
735 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31