SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 13:55   #1
Andrew Wiggin

Gelatin test: 10mm Underwood 220 gr HC

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:29   #2
doverpack12

Interesting. I wonder why the bullet would turn enough to leave the block. Could the more truncated cone and smaller meplat compared to some other WFN hard cast bullets?
doverpack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:48   #3
Andrew Wiggin

I'd bet it yawed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-14-2013, 17:11   #4
G29SFWTF

Thanks for the test. That's interesting that it turned. I guess the reason it yawed because the 220gr is longer than other 10mm bullets? Talk about a manstopper though, a 220 grain cruising sideways. I shot these for the first time the other day (at paper). After the mushroom cloud dissipated I saw that I wasn't as accurate with them as with the lightest bullets 135gr nosler. Both were underwood. I use a G29 with a KKM. I didn't shoot very many though and I usually need some warm ups. Maybe I was pulling it but was about 4 inches low mostly. Just noticed you can see the round tumbling in the air on one of the shots. Did you pick it up?

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 01-14-2013 at 18:00..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 19:49   #5
Andrew Wiggin

That's probably a chunk of gelatin. The bullet ought to penetrate somewhere around 40" of gelatin and it left the block at about 20" so it ought to be moving WAY to fast for my camera to catch.

Old 01-14-2013, 23:53   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Thanks for posting this Andrew. You have done a lot of great work with these gelatin tests. Always interesting and appreciated.

This is why I prefer an XTP or, especially, a WFNGC profile rather than a TC profile for the wilderness. The TC profile seems like it would not take a reliably straight path.

It would be cool if Underwood loaded a WFNGC hardcast like the Beartooth. That might be a better bullet. Granted it won't feed in tight chambers, but DT sells a lot of them at watered down velocities. That profile goes pretty straight through water, so I wonder if it would do better with gelatin than the 220 grainer. Plus that big ol' flat nose and square shoulder profile is nasty on target.

One of these days when I collect a bunch of gallon jugs, I'll try testing again. I tried it before and it blasted through 7 jugs and is just now exiting the Kuiper Belt. On another occasion it cleared five(that's all I had) after going through a leather work glove, a 2X4, and 4 layers of denim. That is a handloaded 200 grainer @ 1205 fps charged with A9. I would love to see gel results for that one.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16   #7
Andrew Wiggin

WOW.

I'm going to redo this test with more gel and larger blocks. Hopefully larger blocks will be able to keep a holt of it even if it takes a turn.