SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53   #61
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
No, he said he was physician assistant, its a doctors aid, they do most of the duties a doctor would do. If you go to a urgent care or ER chances are you see a PA and not a doctor, even though you ate billed for a doctor.

Maybe you got him confused with me, I stated I was a retired Medic.
Doc is also an ex-medic. Many PAs are ex-medics.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13   #62
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
[QUOTE=Cavalry Doc;19865912]I wasn't aware that there were any associates programs left. It actually used to be a "certificate" program when the profession started with Viet Nam era former SF medics being trained as PA's. For about the last 30 years most were BS, then the last 15 years or so most seemed to convert to Masters Programs. There are a few talking about PhD programs. Degree creep happens. There are a lot getting into the field, so colleges can ask for just about any prerequisite and have enough candidates to still turn several qualified ones away.

So the job responsibilities are the same?

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24   #63
elsielover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
WHICH ONE?! I am a huge fan. I just took my chick to see them in VA on Dec 9th. Been a fan since the early 90's.

You are now officially the coolest person on this forum LOL. Was it Disarm or Tonight Tonight or something?
Tonight Tonight. What I remember is that it was a pretty uncomplicated chart. Afterwards, as requested by my daughter, I got the head pumpkin guy, I don't know his name, to sign the sheet music. Daughter loved it. She was only 15.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41   #64
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I wasn't aware that there were any associates programs left. It actually used to be a "certificate" program when the profession started with Viet Nam era former SF medics being trained as PA's. For about the last 30 years most were BS, then the last 15 years or so most seemed to convert to Masters Programs. There are a few talking about PhD programs. Degree creep happens. There are a lot getting into the field, so colleges can ask for just about any prerequisite and have enough candidates to still turn several qualified ones away.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/20...pshots/16.html
That is interesting. I did not know that the PA program came out of the SF medic program. When I was a kid, I knew a SF reserve medic who was a PA in civilian life. His wife went to nursing school with my mom. He used to bring us cool Airborne and SF T-shirts from Ft. Bragg.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52   #65
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsielover View Post
Tonight Tonight. What I remember is that it was a pretty uncomplicated chart. Afterwards, as requested by my daughter, I got the head pumpkin guy, I don't know his name, to sign the sheet music. Daughter loved it. She was only 15.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yeah when Mellon Collie came out I was 19. Probably 18 when you were playing your part in the studio. That's cool. Those songs are a part of my youth. Your part is missed by the way... when they play it live they use a string effect on one of the guitars. Not the same at all.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07   #66
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Doc is also an ex-medic. Many PAs are ex-medics.
Nope. I was a pharmacy technician prior to going to PA school. I was never a medic. I've worked with a lot of medics though, and as a group, hold them in very high esteem. Know which Military occupation has the most posthumous awards of the Congressional Medal of Honor? It's not hard to guess that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17   #67
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

[quote=Woofie;19866330]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I wasn't aware that there were any associates programs left. It actually used to be a "certificate" program when the profession started with Viet Nam era former SF medics being trained as PA's. For about the last 30 years most were BS, then the last 15 years or so most seemed to convert to Masters Programs. There are a few talking about PhD programs. Degree creep happens. There are a lot getting into the field, so colleges can ask for just about any prerequisite and have enough candidates to still turn several qualified ones away.
So the job responsibilities are the same?
If they are a nationally certified PA. NCCPA is the certifying association. Generally speaking, if you can pass that, you are a fully adequate PA. PA's and NP's cover a lot of the same ground professionally. You will usually see one job posted for either profession to fill. There are some slight differences in pay depending on where you are, sometime one or the other will make a little more than the other. Private sector around here, PA's make more, federal sector here (yes it varies by location) NP's make a little more.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-15-2013, 10:26   #68
Firefightermdc

Im a career firefighter/paramedic. I really only am friends with LEO's and other firemen outside of my church. I love the adrenaline factor of being a fireman, but the medic portion has opened my eyes to putting myself in other people's shoes. I have a desire to continue learning more and research current meds/treatments, striving to attain my goal of "no one dies on my watch bc I made a mistake" call it perfectionism, maybe even corny, but I do not like to lose people ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 14:46   #69
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
I agree. I do the technical design/sales at Dell for the data center equipment. I have worked with lots of the fortune 500 companies in every sector and the government, over various time periods. It does help with being well rounded and seeing how the different groups handle things...what is important to them(solution vs price), how they do purchasing, politics involved in the purchase, etc....

While this job has not influenced my religious views at all, it was during this time that I went from being a Christian to realizing I was really an Atheist. Once I figured that out, it did finally hit me on why I enjoy this job. From a technical standpoint I deal with a lot of "this is the solution that is right for you", or "No, this will not work at all, don't try it". Then on solutions that we haven't run across before we can (like a scientist) say, "I am not sure, lets test that out in our lab and see if it works." I enjoy working with with evidence. I like being able to say Yes or No, and then throw out numbers or papers to show evidence of why it is Yes or No. I don't like guesses. No company buying millions of dollars in servers is going to accept "Have faith that this solution will work". They want evidence/proof. It wasn't until I realized that I was an Atheist, that I realized the proof thing was one of the big reasons I enjoyed this work.
Hey, I work for Dell, too! Well, as of Sept of last year, at least. I was/am a senior consultant for Quest, now Dell.

In the same boat as you - I need critical thinking and problem solving every day to do my job. I need answers and need to be able to prove those answers with a repeatable process.

I think I've always been predisposed to critical thinking and this led to my atheism.

I'm also a bit of a stickler for precise language, this is definitely a product of my job, and that drives some folks on internet forums a bit batty.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 15:21   #70
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 16:57   #71
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Hey, I work for Dell, too! Well, as of Sept of last year, at least. I was/am a senior consultant for Quest, now Dell.
Nice! One of my accounts just did a really big order for you guys the Friday before Christmas
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:15   #72
chickenwing

Quote:
So you aren't a real Doctor. That's all I wanted to know. Didn't need your excuses.
CavDoc has never stated that he is a doctor that I am aware of and I've lurked/posted on GT for a while.

He has explained this a couple times IIRC why he uses CavDoc.

My handle is chickenwing, but I assure you I am not a chickenwing.

Last edited by chickenwing; 01-15-2013 at 18:18..
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 19:49   #73
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
CavDoc has never stated that he is a doctor that I am aware of and I've lurked/posted on GT for a while.

Thanks for the clarification, but he's not interested. He's just looking for a chink in the armor.

Funny thing is, once you realize someones mission in life is to try to get under your skin (dermatobia hominis), it no longer is effective.

But anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to try.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-15-2013, 22:01   #74
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 22:11   #75
Glock36shooter

Quote:

I'm relatively new here. But my father was an actual doctor so I refuse to give him the honor of calling him Doc any longer.
Old 01-15-2013, 22:34   #76
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
I'm relatively new here. But my father was an actual doctor so I refuse to give him the honor of calling him Doc any longer.
That oughta show him.
Old 01-15-2013, 23:31   #77
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
That oughta show him.
It isn't about showing him. He just isn't a doctor. He hasn't earned the title. I don't really care about whatever military tradition he thinks gives him the right to call himself that. But he simply hasn't earned the title doctor for which Doc is short.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49   #78
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

Your dad was an MD? Good for him. Don't feel bad, sometimes intelligence and motivation skip a generation.

I'll just point out that you are being childish at this point and this tantrum you have been throwing is evidence that you are decompensating mentally. You're making a fool of yourself.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38   #79
FCoulter

Quote:
It isn't about showing him. He just isn't a doctor. He hasn't earned the title. I don't really care about whatever military tradition he thinks gives him the right to call himself that. But he simply hasn't earned the title doctor for which Doc is short.
I really think you need to sit back and mature abit before posting. Your actions on this thread and others show you really are here for one thing to debate. I think its time the admins step in and perhaps issue you a time out until you and act alittle more mature. This is a religion forum. It is NOT a debate forum. Yes many debates goes on here and if kept civil is ok. You are here for ONE thing only and it is not productive.
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00   #80
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Despite my earlier post, I feel this is a valid point. What we do/did in the military often does not translate well to the civilian world. I don't know very many former medics that would introduce themselves as "doc" in civilian life despite freely adopting the nickname while in the service. It just sends the wrong message. Non-military people don't get it.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-16-2013 at 09:01..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote