Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05   #81
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
I really think you need to sit back and mature abit before posting. Your actions on this thread and others show you really are here for one thing to debate. I think its time the admins step in and perhaps issue you a time out until you and act alittle more mature. This is a religion forum. It is NOT a debate forum. Yes many debates goes on here and if kept civil is ok. You are here for ONE thing only and it is not productive.
I disagree. What's wrong with debate? The religious always resort to censorship when they start loosing the argument. They have to because they don't have logic on their side. If you don't want to read what he writes, put him on your ignore list.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19   #82
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
What we do/did in the military often does not translate well to the civilian world.
You're right. I've noticed you don't advertise your rank and I respect that. Doing that comes across as an appeal to authority argument (i.e., you must submit to my argument because I'm a Major and a doctor therefore I know more than you). IMO, that indicates insecurity. I suspect there are several people in this forum with graduate degrees but they don't advertise it in their screen names.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 01-16-2013 at 09:34..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37   #83
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Despite my earlier post, I feel this is a valid point. What we do/did in the military often does not translate well to the civilian world. I don't know very many former medics that would introduce themselves as "doc" in civilian life despite freely adopting the nickname while in the service. It just sends the wrong message. Non-military people don't get it.
Well, when I signed up on the forum, I was still on active duty. The screen name wasn't something I put more than a couple of seconds thought into. My particular job translated quite well into civilian life on the clinical side, I don't use a lot of the warfighter skills anymore. Not a lot of creative evacuations needed in my current job either. Considering the origin of your own screen name "gecko45", the infamous mall ninja, and a lot of the other screen names around, I'm gonna have to point out that this is another example of selective hypersensitivity. It's a forum, not real life. I go by my first name in real life. I immediately correct anyone that calls me doctor. I'm very comfortable being me IRL. I have occasionally run into people I knew on active duty, and they still call me Doc. On active duty, I was called that much more often than my name or rank.

Try to make the distinction between real life and a screen name.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05   #84
hooligan74
Senior Member
 
hooligan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,720
Gotta agree with CavDoc on this one. I'm not really a hooligan in real life and no one calls me that, either. It's just a handle, no need to read further into it than that.

As long as no attempt is made to convince anyone he is a doctor, no harm no foul.

A local jeweler calls himself the "Rock Doc", but no one believes he's a medical doctor or has a Ph.D.

Last edited by hooligan74; 01-16-2013 at 10:06..
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10   #85
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
I really think you need to sit back and mature abit before posting. Your actions on this thread and others show you really are here for one thing to debate.
What's wrong with debate?

Quote:
I think its time the admins step in and perhaps issue you a time out until you and act alittle more mature.
By who's standards? You are reacting to a post where I make it clear that I refuse to refer to someone by a professional title they haven't earned with the appropriate level of education. It's no different than a Paralegal wanting to be called an Attorney. Or a bookkeeper wanting to be called a CPA. They simply have not attained the proper credentials to deserve the title. Would it be appropriate for me to go around calling myself a Marine because I have a rifle and some training on how to use it? Or have I not earned the right to honor myself with that title?

Quote:
This is a religion forum.
Yet for some unknown reason we've been discussing politics in here for the last week.

Quote:
It is NOT a debate forum. Yes many debates goes on here and if kept civil is ok. You are here for ONE thing only and it is not productive.
Productive? Depends again on perspective I guess. But this is a place for discussion and debate of religious issues. I don't know why you thought differently. I agree I'm tired of the political crap.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14   #86
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,712
Lol

cd........stfw?
__________________
inalienable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22   #87
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Gotta agree with CavDoc on this one. I'm not really a hooligan in real life and no one calls me that, either. It's just a handle, no need to read further into it than that.

As long as no attempt is made to convince anyone he is a doctor, no harm no foul.

A local jeweler calls himself the "Rock Doc", but no one believes he's a medical doctor or has a Ph.D.
Not the same thing. He works in the medical field. Posing as a doctor when you aren't is a professional no no. Not saying he has done that per se. But I believe he has made the statement that people on this forum have asked him for medical advise. If I'm mistaken in that regard I apologize. To be fair they probably knew he was a PA and not a Doctor. I've not been here for years and years like some of you. But you get my drift.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35   #88
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,230
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
I'm usually called Woofie in real life. I just assumed his first name is Cavalry, last name Doc.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38   #89
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Lol

cd........stfw?
He's been asked that before. There seems to be no answer. Expounding on the obvious isn't profound.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44   #90
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Expounding on the obvious isn't profound.
And yet................. LOL

__________________
inalienable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50   #91
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I'm usually called Woofie in real life. I just assumed his first name is Cavalry, last name Doc.
I look just like my avatar.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52   #92
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,283


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I'm usually called Woofie in real life.
The ladies call Mr. 45

__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08   #93
hooligan74
Senior Member
 
hooligan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,720
The men call me "Muddy", but the women call me "The Electric Man".
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10   #94
hooligan74
Senior Member
 
hooligan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Not the same thing. He works in the medical field. Posing as a doctor when you aren't is a professional no no. Not saying he has done that per se. But I believe he has made the statement that people on this forum have asked him for medical advise. If I'm mistaken in that regard I apologize. To be fair they probably knew he was a PA and not a Doctor. I've not been here for years and years like some of you. But you get my drift.
Why would you assume he is attempting to pose as a Dr.? Sorry, I just don't see it.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30   #95
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
You're right. I've noticed you don't advertise your rank and I respect that. Doing that comes across as an appeal to authority argument (i.e., you must submit to my argument because I'm a Major and a doctor therefore I know more than you). IMO, that indicates insecurity. I suspect there are several people in this forum with graduate degrees but they don't advertise it in their screen names.
I just thought Geko was a commercial pilot or instructor. Never noticed him mention military service before. Someone like Cav PA on the other hand drags it out in every other post. I think it may have something to do with insecurity issues.

A Marine once told me that past military service is like having a big ****. It's fine to just smile as folks find out about it naturally if they're impressed by that sort of thing but when you go around pulling it out and waving it in people's faces they're likely to be really put off by that and think it may be the only thing you have going for you.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36   #96
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Why would you assume he is attempting to pose as a Dr.? Sorry, I just don't see it.
It's an acute case of selective hypersensitivity. For some reason he thinks this will bother me somehow. It hasn't bothered me since I joined as a member, don't see why it should start bothering me now.

This isn't the first time it's come up, usually it's someone I've been arguing with and when they run out of useful things to say, try to latch onto that for some odd reason.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43   #97
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I just thought Geko was a commercial pilot or instructor. Never noticed him mention military service before. Someone like Cav PA on the other hand drags it out in every other post. I think it may have something to do with insecurity issues.

A Marine once told me that past military service is like having a big ****. It's fine to just smile as folks find out about it naturally if they're impressed by that sort of thing but when you go around pulling it out and waving it in people's faces they're likely to be really put off by that and think it may be the only thing you have going for you.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45   #98
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Why would you assume he is attempting to pose as a Dr.? Sorry, I just don't see it.
Why wouldn't you assume that someone that goes by Doc is a Doctor? Wouldn't that be one of your first questions? "Doc? Oh... are you a Doctor?"

Especially when every chance they get they tell you about this and that in the medical field. "Yeah well when you work in medicine blah blah blah."
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47   #99
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
You're right. I've noticed you don't advertise your rank and I respect that. Doing that comes across as an appeal to authority argument (i.e., you must submit to my argument because I'm a Major and a doctor therefore I know more than you). IMO, that indicates insecurity. I suspect there are several people in this forum with graduate degrees but they don't advertise it in their screen names.
This one is cute. When you retire, you retain your rank for life. Legally, my name is MAJ first last PA-C when spoken, as a signature block, it's MAJ (USA Ret.) first last PA-C. It could take a whole to explain all of the military customs and courtesies to you, there are quite a few books you can pick up on the internet that can explain it all fully.

In the immortal words of the great philosopher Popeye - "I yam what I yam".

Majors are a dime a dozen in the Army. Generals, they even have a bunch of those. MAJ is only an O4 on a pay scale that goes to O10. I did spend just shy of 10 years as an enlisted soldier too.

I had no idea that me being me, made you feel insecure. Not sure what you think I should do to aleviate that?
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56   #100
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Why wouldn't you assume that someone that goes by Doc is a Doctor? Wouldn't that be one of your first questions? "Doc? Oh... are you a Doctor?"

Especially when every chance they get they tell you about this and that in the medical field. "Yeah well when you work in medicine blah blah blah."
Doc has never claimed to be a doctor, and he explains this multiple times on the forum.


I agree with doc only part of the time on here, and some things I strongly have disagreed with him on. I also tend to think he has a bit of an ego at times.

That being said, bark up another tree. Doc is slang. You know this, yet you continue to be a ****** about it. Why? Can you not find something else? Get over it and move on.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:05.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,141
326 Members
815 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31