SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 16:43   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Shot Heard 'Round The World

I am the history program coordinator for the Appleseed Project www.appleseedinfo.org in my state. I thought many people might find the historical perspective of how and why the second amendment came about and the significance of marksmanship as part of our heritage interesting.

Let me know what you think....

In September of 1774, a company of British troops crossed the back bay by boat from Boston to Cambridge in the middle of night. By early morning they had arrived at the Massachusetts Provisional Powder house. The powder house was a stone silo type structure used as a powder magazine to house the black powder used by the surrounding communities. They were let in by the local sheriff and subsequently confiscated 250 half barrels of powder belonging to the Massachusetts colony.

The redcoats marched back through Cambridge drawing the attention of the locals who spread the word "the powder raids have begun." The locals were so outraged at this raid that nearly four thousand assembled. They took the sheriff hostage and made him write notice that he would never help the red coats again. They rampaged through the Tory/loyalist section of town and ran the most prominent of them out of town, never to return.

It was only the intervention of local patriot leaders who kept the mob from marching to Boston and confronting the army stationed there.

This raid did two things. It confirmed the fear of the colonists that the Regulars (what they called the army) could and would raid and confiscate arms. The second thing it did was motivate colonial leaders such as Paul Revere and Dr. Joseph Warren to set up a network of citizens to keep an eye on the troops in Boston for any indication of them mobilizing for future raids.

The early warning system and subsequent alert notification system developed by Revere and Warren would be tested in the coming months.

End of Part One.

Last edited by mac66; 02-13-2013 at 08:07..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 16:51   #2
tarpleyg

So what is our modern day warning system? Facebook and Twitter?

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 17:02   #3
LarryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
That's no good. Remember that in the last year Congress gave the President the Kill-Switch for the internet. They will kill the internet before a big move is made.
Old 01-16-2013, 17:04   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I say we go back to semaphores and bull horns.
Old 01-16-2013, 17:07   #5
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
I got two tin cans and a piece of string.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 18:55   #6
mac66
Plant the seed

Part 2

As a result of the Boston Tea Party, the Parliament had passed a series of laws in 1773 to bring the colonies under control. These laws were called "The Coercive Acts" and did exactly what they meant, to coerce the colonies into submission.The colonists didn't hear about the Coercive Act until 1774 and by then started referring to them as the "Intolerable Acts".

The Coercive Acts banned free speech. Troops raided newspapers and smashed or confiscated printing presses.They did away with local control of towns, cities, counties and colonies. It removed local judges. A person could now be held without warrant and sent back to England to be judged for any crime the crown could think up.

Under the Coercive Acts, militias were banned as was military type training. Importation of black powder and muskets was stopped.

In December of 1774, General Thomas Gage, commander of all British forces in north America and military governor of Massachusetts ordered another raid. This time the plan was to send a ship load of troops up to New Hampshire to secure the powder and weapons stored at an outpost called Fort William and Mary. The fort was manned by an officer and a small number of regulars.

Paul Revere's intelligence network, called "The Mechanics" because the were all tradesmen, notified him and he made the long ride to the fort in a snowstorm. He contacted the local militia, which was now outlawed and they gathered 250 men and stormed the fort. Shots were fired, people were wounded but no one was killed. The fort was taken and the militia relieved the fort of powder, muskets and small artillery pieces. The militia melted back into the country side.

The governor of New Hampshire was outraged. He sent a message to Gen. Gage telling him of the armed insurrection. The ship load of soldiers had been delayed because of a snow squall and didn't make it for another day. To add insult to injury the ship was run aground by the harbor pilot.

The score was now the Regulars 1, Colonists 1. The next raid wouldn't be tried for another couple months.

Last edited by mac66; 01-31-2013 at 09:23..
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48   #7
mac66
Plant the seed

Part 3

If anyone is interested in this I will keep going. If not I will stop.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45   #8
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

Keep going please.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

G19Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55   #9
ThinkMud

Keep going this great!

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59   #10
PAGunner

Keep going!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31   #11
nursetim

Bring it. I like history.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41   #12
Redheadhunter21

I'm in keep going

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50   #13
kensb2
pistol n00b

This is very interesting, particularly since I grew up in NH. There's a lot of history and monuments to history in the NE that most people will never get to appreciate in their lifetime.

ETA: I just realized, after trying to find where this was located, that I have in fact visited this site. It was over 10 years ago, so I did not recall the name of the fort.

Last edited by kensb2; 01-17-2013 at 09:59.. Reason: content
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53   #14
No Quarter

Proceed sir!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02   #15
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Please, Sir, may I have some more?
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13   #16
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Great stuff. Keep it up!
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22   #17
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

History that is not learned is forgotten, what is forgotten will be repeated. Keep posting.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 14:18   #18
Rustin

Appreciate it Mac.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 14:26   #19
dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNC View Post
That's no good. Remember that in the last year Congress gave the President the Kill-Switch for the internet. They will kill the internet before a big move is made.

That would only signal the red light to us ! When things change , you change ! Prepare , NOW !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 14:31   #20
dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
History that is not learned is forgotten, what is forgotten will be repeated. Keep posting.

Not forgotten , but learned , analyzed , scrutinized and learn what caused the "Great Fail" of things gone by!

Repeated better and is now our turn to learn..!
Old 01-17-2013, 14:33   #21
c01
Crazy Eye

Keep it up!
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 15:41   #22
mac66
Plant the seed

Part 3 Setting the Stage

The conflict between the crown and colonists didn't happen over night. In fact is was a decade long escalation of push and push back. By 1764, England was on the edge of a fiscal cliff. They had just finished the "7 years war" with France around the globe. In north America it was known as the French and Indian war because that's who they were fighting.

To pay for the wars the crown turned to the American colonies. Britain like most of the major powers generated wealth by exploiting the natural resources of the regions they conquered or settled and then created a market in those locations to sell finished products back to. The American colonies had the most resources and were their biggest market. They enjoyed the highest standard of living of all of Britain's colonies including that of the homeland. It is always the way to go after the rich, they can afford it. So the crown imposed new taxes on the colonies. First it was for sugar and then they devalued the money basically creating run away inflation.

The colonists had always considered themselves lucky to be "free Englishmen" protected by one of the first codified statement of human rights from centuries before, the Magna Carta. They were also somewhat autonomous from the direct government involvement. They were a long way from Parliament and as such had developed their own style of local government and justice system over a period of decades. The colonists had pushed back the frontier with their own hands. They had fought the French, Spanish, pirates, Indians and marauders of all kinds. They had fought for the land. The had bore and buried their children on it. They developed a system that worked and they highly resented the crown taking what they considered to be theirs.

The new taxes shocked and angered them. They formed groups to protest the new taxes. One group that was particularly vocal was The Sons of Liberty. Men like Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, Dr. Joseph Warren, John Hancock and others became leaders. They were able to successfully argue down new taxes only to have them replaced with others.

The more the crown pushed, the more the colonists resisted and pushed back. This caused the crown to send more troops to enforce the regulations and protect the tax collectors and government officials. Of course this escalated the tension between the two sides and increased the odds of a confrontation. With the passing of the Stamp Act (taxing every commercial piece of paper such as newspapers, contracts, letters etc) the resistance intensified.

Samuel Adams one of the major rabble rousers was in charge of the Boston Mob. Not an organized crime mob but laborers and tradesmen whom he could get on short notice to start a demonstration or antagonize the soldiers in Boston. This came to a head in March of 1770 when soldiers taunted by the mob and pelted with snowballs opened fired on the crowd, the infamous Boston Massacre. The British sent more troops into the city in a show of force and of course the Boston Massacre became galvanizing event for the resistance.

The crown backed off for a time and for several years an uneasy peace reigned with only minor conflicts. However, with the passing of the Tea Tax in 1773, colonial passions were again flamed which resulted in the Boston Tea Party. As everyone knows, Sons of Liberty dressed as Indians went aboard ship and dumped the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of tea into the harbor. While the Indian garb may have been to disguise those involved, it was actually used because Indians were considered the symbol of a free people.

The crown was outraged and sent more troops. They created more restrictions such as the Townsend Acts which implemented financial sanctions and import, export regulations. These were met with more resistance. By 1774, the American colonies were under martial law and Boston was occupied by thousands of troops sent in to enforce the mandates of the Coercive/Intolerable Acts.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by mac66; 01-31-2013 at 09:27..
Old 01-17-2013, 15:54   #23
dango

Awesome and informative , great posts , more , more , !
Old 01-17-2013, 16:05   #24
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
This is very interesting, particularly since I grew up in NH. There's a lot of history and monuments to history in the NE that most people will never get to appreciate in their lifetime.

ETA: I just realized, after trying to find where this was located, that I have in fact visited this site. It was over 10 years ago, so I did not recall the name of the fort.

I should have mentioned that Fort William and Mary is in Portsmouth, NH

Last edited by mac66; 01-20-2013 at 19:51..
Old 01-17-2013, 16:11   #25
nursetim

I know I'm not the only one to see the similarities. Scary indeed. Dibs on the role of Paul revere. Playing the part of Benedict Arnold is colon powell.