SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2013, 20:19   #1
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Hornady #9 Manual - Big Revision

I picked up a Hornady #9 recently. Earlier editions published data for 10mm Auto for 155 grain an Accurate no. 7. The older max was 15.1 grains. I was always suspicious of that load in light of maxes listed by Accurate and Speer.

The current data is only 12.7 grains. The old data is 16% higher than current print. This is additional evidence to never rely on any single data point for loads.

On a side note, I picked up the most recent Loadbooks. There are a lot of changes there too. The Hornady data above has not yet been corrected.

Noteably, the infamous IMR 800-X with 135 Nosler load is gone.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:26   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Thanks Taterhead!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:42   #3
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I picked up a Hornady #9 recently. Earlier editions published data for 10mm Auto for 155 grain an Accurate no. 7. The older max was 15.1 grains. I was always suspicious of that load in light of maxes listed by Accurate and Speer.

The current data is only 12.7 grains. The old data is 16% higher than current print. This is additional evidence to never rely on any single data point for loads.

On a side note, I picked up the most recent Loadbooks. There are a lot of changes there too. The Hornady data above has not yet been corrected.

Good to know sir! (I remember CM mentioning that the new load books had lots of changes...).
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 18:13   #4
doverpack12

How do you tell which one is the new loadbooks?
doverpack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 18:29   #5
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverpack12 View Post
How do you tell which one is the new loadbooks?
They would have an edit date of 2012 at least, would be my guess. I remember CanyonMan talking about these updates and that they would be showing up soon, but that was in mid- to late 2012.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 19:37   #6
doverpack12

No idea. Can't find a edit date. Just got it recently, not that it means anything it could have been old stock. Mine has info from hornady 8 and nosler 6
doverpack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:24   #7
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

I'll occassionally pull a load out of an Hornady manual whcih won't even cycle the slide on any of my automatics. To say that they are usually conservative, is an understatement.

MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 23:47   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I'll occassionally pull a load out of an Hornady manual whcih won't even cycle the slide on any of my automatics. To say that they are usually conservative, is an understatement.
Their starting charges are way conservative, but for maxes I think it depends on the powder. Compared to the powder manufacturers:

Way low charges for Longshot.
High for 800-X
Much higher than Accurate accross the board

Sierra leads the league in conservative 10mm load data in my opinion.

Last edited by Taterhead; 01-16-2013 at 23:51..
Old 01-16-2013, 23:49   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverpack12 View Post
No idea. Can't find a edit date. Just got it recently, not that it means anything it could have been old stock. Mine has info from hornady 8 and nosler 6

A quick way to tell if you have the latest book is if the Nosler data only lists loads for 135 & 150 grainers, that is the most current.