GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 13:50   #176
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,705


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
What "Creates" life? Nothing suggests that anything "Creates" it. What we're learning is that it happens on its own naturally. We're fairly close to proving it too.
Cool. How? What exactly is it?
certifiedfunds is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 14:12   #177
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post

And as you'll see by the time stamp the last time I edited it was 4 minutes after making it... to clean up some spelling errors and such. About 15 hour before Doc decided to try and twist it to make it appear as though I was claiming PTSD and lied about my actual statements to create drama in that thread.
Is this the first time Doc has gotten hung up on your post edits? Seems like he pulled something similar before when he got backed into a corner.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 14:17   #178
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Cool. How? What exactly is it?
Not sure I understand your question. What we've observed is that RNA has the potential for form on its own when the conditions are right and the materials available. Scientists have nearly been able to recreate RNA in a lab using just materials and conditions that would have been present on a pre-life Earth. No one said it's been proven yet. Only that we're close. Like 10 years close maybe.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 14:22   #179
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Is this the first time Doc has gotten hung up on your post edits? Seems like he pulled something similar before when he got backed into a corner.
As this thread illustrates, no tangent to him seems to absurd as long as it effectively draws attention away from his absolute lack of a cohesive argument. Seriously, what point is Doc even trying to make in this thread? Does anyone know?
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 14:23   #180
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Cool. How? What exactly is it?
This video gives a huge amount of evidence for how it could happen naturally. There is absolutely no reason to assume that life cannot come about without supernatural means. How many other complex chemical interactions do we not fully understand yet? Why don't we hold those unknown phenomena up as holy?

Assuming we should have this figured out by now is assuming that we know every single way the elements can interact with each other and there are no new chemistry discoveries to be made.

Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:00   #181
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Is this the first time Doc has gotten hung up on your post edits? Seems like he pulled something similar before when he got backed into a corner.
Seems like there is some revisionist history here. He was deleting very pertinent statements from my posts, as an example, me stating homosexuality is not a disease, then he criticized me for calling it a disease. Several people noticed that and other edits that were called dishonest by fellow atheists.

What I'm understanding your problem is that he said something that clearly contained elements of avoidance, anxiety, and some manufactured situations as an excuse of why he only posts in RI. And I quoted it, with the only change adding bold to some lettering 15 hours later?

Where's the problem again?
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:18   #182
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Where's the problem again?
The problem is that in every thread in which you participate, that thread ceases to be about the original topic and becomes mired in this nonsense of word parsing, selective definitions, unfounded accusations, and strawman intellectual dishonesty where you consistently mischaracterize the statements of others.

When you are not here, there are some heated discussions, but at least they stay on the general topic of religion. Sometimes, I even learn something new and useful from the other side. That doesn't happen in any thread once you start posting to it. This is an open forum and you are certainly free to do so, but you bring down the quality of discourse here substantially.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 01-18-2013 at 15:22..
Geko45 is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:20   #183
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
This video gives a huge amount of evidence for how it could happen naturally. There is absolutely no reason to assume that life cannot come about without supernatural means. How many other complex chemical interactions do we not fully understand yet? Why don't we hold those unknown phenomena up as holy?

Assuming we should have this figured out by now is assuming that we know every single way the elements can interact with each other and there are no new chemistry discoveries to be made.

Jack Szostak (Harvard/HHMI) Part 1: The Origin of Cellular Life on Earth - YouTube


Sounds more like a lot of hypothysis, short on evidence.

Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it did. It's possible that all the building blocks came together in just the right amounts with interdependent processes, structures and organnelles already made. That selective gateways in relatively remote areas of the cell were actively ensuring that other beneficial proteins, electrolytes and fluid are all in the right place and the entire structure is all working in harmony to achieve homeostasis, an ability to reproduce, and adapt. Yes, it's possible it all just sort of happened.

Also, since we are getting close to creating new life (allegedly), and I'm sure that is being done with a plan and under carefully controlled situations, not just throwing bowls of primordial soup on the ground to see if it walks. Once that happens, wouldn't you have to consider that it's possible that the first living organism on earth was made with a plan too? You know, designed by an inteligence.

What do you think?
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:23   #184
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
As for your psychological issues, I have studied psychology for years... my assessment stands.
Are you by chance a Psychologist's Assistant? Because you seem completely unqualified to give a diagnosis yet eager to do so.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:26   #185
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
The problem is that in every thread in which you participate, that thread ceases to be about the original topic and becomes mired in this nonsense of word parsing, selective definitions, unfounded accusations, and strawman intellectual dishonesty where you consistently mischaracterize the statements of others.

When you are not here, there are some heated discussions, but at least they stay on the general topic of religion. Sometimes, I even learn something new and useful from the other side. That doesn't happen in any thread once you start posting to it. This is an open forum and you are certainly free to do so, but you bring down the quality of discourse here substantially.


Gek, you and the boys can't have it both ways. When I ignore your off topic ad Homs, I'm suposedly dodging a very important point. When I answer them, I'm now dragging the thread off topic.

For example, the post quoted above is virtually useless to the topic of the thread. I wasn't even talking to you.

If you want to stay on topic, then do so. I don't think you can. You'll impress me if you can. Try it and we'll see how you do.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-18-2013 at 15:28..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:31   #186
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Is this the first time Doc has gotten hung up on your post edits? Seems like he pulled something similar before when he got backed into a corner.
He's always getting his panties in a knot about something.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:41   #187
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

Where's the problem again?
I don't see a problem (aside from that Hoyle's fallacy stunt you tried to pull off).

Apparently you have a problem with me asking 36 to clarify on something I wasn't recalling entirely. He doesn't follow all of our spats and I don't follow all of yours. Much of the time when you're posting back and forth with him I skim over a lot of it because it makes me a little uncomfortably embarrassed for you.

Yeah, think about how highly I think of you and then try to wrap your head around the concept of me feeling sorry for how foolish you can be to the point where I can't even watch. I should be savoring every moment.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 15:53   #188
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I don't see a problem (aside from that Hoyle's fallacy stunt you tried to pull off).

Apparently you have a problem with me asking 36 to clarify on something I wasn't recalling entirely. He doesn't follow all of our spats and I don't follow all of yours. Much of the time when you're posting back and forth with him I skim over a lot of it because it makes me a little uncomfortably embarrassed for you.

Yeah, think about how highly I think of you and then try to wrap your head around the concept of me feeling sorry for how foolish you can be to the point where I can't even watch. I should be savoring every moment.
It's really pointless to talk to the guy. He really probably thinks he's bested us all and is in the complete right and has been unfairly treated by everyone here because of that fact. It's this delusional reality where he's always right, everyone in opposition to him is wrong, and his is the superior intellect. When someone is that much in love with themselves, intellectually dishonest, and unwilling to see what's really going on around them to the point of looking mentally ill... you just gotta ignore them.

But Geko is right. Every single thread he participates in turns into a steaming pile of poo and flies right off the tracks. I looked back a little. Most of the threads you and I have posted in in the last month in this forum... he's shown up right behind us to try and stir up crap. He's just a troll. We really should just never respond to the guy at all. He brings ZERO to the table. He just wants attention.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:12   #189
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I don't see a problem (aside from that Hoyle's fallacy stunt you tried to pull off).

Apparently you have a problem with me asking 36 to clarify on something I wasn't recalling entirely. He doesn't follow all of our spats and I don't follow all of yours. Much of the time when you're posting back and forth with him I skim over a lot of it because it makes me a little uncomfortably embarrassed for you.

Yeah, think about how highly I think of you and then try to wrap your head around the concept of me feeling sorry for how foolish you can be to the point where I can't even watch. I should be savoring every moment.
It's a lot easier to dismiss if you are unable to think of it as anything but a fallacy. It's a good way to put a padlock on a closed mind.


As there has been no proof of it just happening, or being designed, seems to me an open minded guy would evaluate both sides of the question until an irrefutable truth became known.

We are still learning how exactly cells work. It's not just the structure, which requires relatively distant cooperation among the physical components, it's the chemical and metabolic pathways necessary to maintain homeostasis.

http://web.expasy.org/pathways/

Click on the link above, there are two links at the bottom of that page, peruse those for a while.

To see all of that, and simply dismiss all possibilities other than it just happened by chance is one of the main reasons that I believe it takes faith to truly believe that there has never been anything more highly evolved than humans on this planet. Really, if you think you know, you're kidding yourself.

Come to think of it, watch that video later tonight too.


Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-18-2013 at 16:14..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:25   #190
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Ya know, debating religion is a fun intellectual exercise.

Listening (reading) to you guys fight....... not so much.

Really, whether CD's a real Doctor or not (and I will admit, I've never heard him claim to be so) is a silly point to get stuck on, when theres so much more thats worthwhile to disagree with him about.

And unfortunately this thread has dissolved into a pissing match.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:30   #191
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It's really pointless to talk to the guy. He really probably thinks he's bested us all and is in the complete right and has been unfairly treated by everyone here because of that fact. It's this delusional reality where he's always right, everyone in opposition to him is wrong, and his is the superior intellect. When someone is that much in love with themselves, intellectually dishonest, and unwilling to see what's really going on around them to the point of looking mentally ill... you just gotta ignore them.

But Geko is right. Every single thread he participates in turns into a steaming pile of poo and flies right off the tracks. I looked back a little. Most of the threads you and I have posted in in the last month in this forum... he's shown up right behind us to try and stir up crap. He's just a troll. We really should just never respond to the guy at all. He brings ZERO to the table. He just wants attention.
I have not had to best you. All I had to do was feed you rope. Your own *********gery lowered your stock around here.

I'm still just an ordinary guy. I caught some lucky breaks, but I have better upbringing than you, and yours was probably much more spoiled than my own. You had all cool clothes and probably a car bought for you. I worked stacking hay in the summers, and occasionally as a cook in high school. I had some real good friends though. I was rich in that respect. I left home with $34 in my pocket at the age of 18. Never took another dime from my parents, but I have given back to them. Can you say the same?
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:35   #192
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
Ya know, debating religion is a fun intellectual exercise.

Listening (reading) to you guys fight....... not so much.

Really, whether CD's a real Doctor or not (and I will admit, I've never heard him claim to be so) is a silly point to get stuck on, when theres so much more thats worthwhile to disagree with him about.

And unfortunately this thread has dissolved into a pissing match.
They know that. It's a lame attempt to get under my skin. I inactivated that particular button a long long time ago. I do run into people that have no clue what a PA is. It's no problem. I run into people that do stuff all the time that I had no clue needed to be done. None of us is completely aware of every possible profession in the world.

Yeah, it's a pissing match. For the most part, all I have to do is feed rope and watch them display evidence of ignorance and poor upbringing.

If they'd catch a clue at how silly they look, we would be back on topic in no time.


But if you would like to have an on topic discussion, post 189 is an attempt to get back on track, well, mostly.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-18-2013 at 16:38..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:36   #193
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It's really pointless to talk to the guy. He really probably thinks he's bested us all and is in the complete right and has been unfairly treated by everyone here because of that fact. It's this delusional reality where he's always right, everyone in opposition to him is wrong, and his is the superior intellect. When someone is that much in love with themselves, intellectually dishonest, and unwilling to see what's really going on around them to the point of looking mentally ill... you just gotta ignore them.

But Geko is right. Every single thread he participates in turns into a steaming pile of poo and flies right off the tracks. I looked back a little. Most of the threads you and I have posted in in the last month in this forum... he's shown up right behind us to try and stir up crap. He's just a troll. We really should just never respond to the guy at all. He brings ZERO to the table. He just wants attention.
I agree about the ignoring him. I will let my shame and sadness for him be my ignore list from now on. Ready? 1,2,3, Go!
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 16:48   #194
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I agree about the ignoring him. I will let my shame and sadness for him be my ignore list from now on. Ready? 1,2,3, Go!
Surrender accepted. It's unconditional though.


But really, try the suggestion in post 189. Whoa dude. It'll blow your mind, whether you have the ability to admit it or not.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-18-2013 at 17:27..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 18:25   #195
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Are you by chance a Psychologist's Assistant? Because you seem completely unqualified to give a diagnosis yet eager to do so.
Funny. You discard educated opinions in favor of your hippie weed fueled hemp rope sandal wearing preconceptions. And then accuse others of being close minded, while very consistently participating in defensive unsupported ad homs.


We all see it.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 20:05   #196
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Jerk the License and start collections on the fine plus penalties and interest.
And when they keep practicing medicine and don't pay the fine?


I'm sure you see where I'm going.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.
Do lot Do so sinh Ban buon quan ao Chup anh cho be
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 20:11   #197
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
...
Also, since we are getting close to creating new life (allegedly), and I'm sure that is being done with a plan and under carefully controlled situations, not just throwing bowls of primordial soup on the ground to see if it walks. Once that happens, wouldn't you have to consider that it's possible that the first living organism on earth was made with a plan too? You know, designed by an inteligence.

What do you think?
I want to know about the first life. Not just the first life on earth. If an older form of life started us, which is possible, it still doesn't answer the question if life started on it's own.

Ben Stein tried to make Richard Dawkins look bad in his movie with questions along these lines, and with creative editing of course.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.
Do lot Do so sinh Ban buon quan ao Chup anh cho be
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 20:42   #198
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I want to know about the first life. Not just the first life on earth. If an older form of life started us, which is possible, it still doesn't answer the question if life started on it's own.

Ben Stein tried to make Richard Dawkins look bad in his movie with questions along these lines, and with creative editing of course.
I think Ben Stein is an awesome economist. Honestly, I don't know much about him other than that. Except in his role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off..... My first date with Ms. Cavalry Doc, but that's a whole different story.



The first KNOWN life is what we are looking for. The first one with knowledge of itself, regardless of location.

No, even if it didn't happen on Earth first.... I cannot tell you if it happened on it's own by accident, and was brought here by an intelligence, which happened by chance somewhere else. I cannot tell you how old the earth is, or how old life is in the universe. Assuming it all started and ended here is about as infantile as assuming the universe revolved around the earth. A lot of the earth-centric atheist beliefs that are common probably need to be rethought. Which kind of makes the old vs new earth argument a little lame. It's as old as it is.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-18-2013 at 20:46..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 20:48   #199
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
And when they keep practicing medicine and don't pay the fine?


I'm sure you see where I'm going.
I considered showing him the end of this argument a while ago, but have seen you walk the uninitiated down this path before. You'll do it better.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 20:55   #200
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I considered showing him the end of this argument a while ago, but have seen you walk the uninitiated down this path before. You'll do it better.
Heck, there are several guys in GTPI that could do it better then I can, but I'm giving it a shot.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.
Do lot Do so sinh Ban buon quan ao Chup anh cho be
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,248
390 Members
858 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42