Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 22:00   #201
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
Heck, there are several guys in GTPI that could do it better then I can, but I'm giving it a shot.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence.
You're doing better than average. Tell him what happens in the end when people don't follow instructions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Old 01-18-2013, 22:20   #202
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
You're doing better than average. Tell him what happens in the end when people don't follow instructions.

I'd rather get there by only asking questions, and not making any statements.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Old 01-18-2013, 22:31   #203
Syclone538

Quote:
I think Ben Stein is an awesome economist. Honestly, I don't know much about him other than that. Except in his role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off..... My first date with Ms. Cavalry Doc, but that's a whole different story.

The first KNOWN life is what we are looking for. The first one with knowledge of itself, regardless of location.

No, even if it didn't happen on Earth first.... I cannot tell you if it happened on it's own by accident, and was brought here by an intelligence, which happened by chance somewhere else. I cannot tell you how old the earth is, or how old life is in the universe. Assuming it all started and ended here is about as infantile as assuming the universe revolved around the earth. A lot of the earth-centric atheist beliefs that are common probably need to be rethought. Which kind of makes the old vs new earth argument a little lame. It's as old as it is.
I'm not completely sure how to respond. I'm not sure if we disagree here.

I think it likely that life started on earth on it's own.
I think it likely that there is other life out there.
I think it likely that if any sign of life is found in our solar system, that it is contamination and we are related.
I think it likely that there is life farther away that is not related, and also started on it's own.

I am interested in the beginning of life that we are related to. When it changed from chemistry to biology.

edit

Quote:
A lot of the earth-centric atheist beliefs that are common probably need to be rethought.
Can you explain what you mean here? This is not a point I want to argue with you, but this is a fundamental misunderstanding of the word atheist. There are no atheist beliefs. It is a lack of belief. Anyway, what earth centric beliefs do you think atheists have, in general?

Quote:

Last edited by Syclone538; 01-18-2013 at 22:35..
Old 01-18-2013, 22:31   #204
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
I think Ben Stein is an awesome economist. Honestly, I don't know much about him other than that. Except in his role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off..... My first date with Ms. Cavalry Doc, but that's a whole different story.

The first KNOWN life is what we are looking for. The first one with knowledge of itself, regardless of location.

No, even if it didn't happen on Earth first.... I cannot tell you if it happened on it's own by accident, and was brought here by an intelligence, which happened by chance somewhere else. I cannot tell you how old the earth is, or how old life is in the universe. Assuming it all started and ended here is about as infantile as assuming the universe revolved around the earth. A lot of the earth-centric atheist beliefs that are common probably need to be rethought. Which kind of makes the old vs new earth argument a little lame. It's as old as it is.
So earth centric atheist beliefs are common?

1) Please define earth centric atheism in comparison to non earth centric atheism.

2) After you do that please explain how you have arrived at the conclusion that earth centric atheism is common in comparison to non earth centric atheism.

3) Please explain why you believe that curiosity about the age of the earth to be lame? Personally I believe that geology, paleontology and other science disciplines that calculate and/or use such information are valid and reasonable courses of study.

If you want me to rethink my atheist point of view, which I have never defined as earth centric or universe wide, you will have to give me a good reason. Offhand an agnostic defining an atheist's POV as needing to be rethought seems about as obnoxious to me as busybody G36 desiring to define for christians why they should not get tattoos because he is a disapproving judgmental busybody.

Last edited by G26S239; 01-18-2013 at 22:37..
Old 01-18-2013, 22:50   #205
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

No offense meant. But a lot of the arguments I've seen here tend to revolve around the age of the earth, the fact that Jonah was not swallowed by a whale, the ark is not supported by genetic or fossil records.

So? None of that proves there was not a deity.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-18-2013, 22:53   #206
Syclone538

Quote:
No offense meant. But a lot of the arguments I've seen here tend to revolve around the age of the earth, the fact that Jonah was not swallowed by a whale, the ark is not supported by genetic or fossil records.

I don't know of anyone claiming it does.

What it can do is prove the Bible is not infallible.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 22:55   #207
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:

What would prove that there was not, or is not or never has been, a deity to your satisfaction?
Old 01-18-2013, 22:55   #208
NMG26

Quote:

Debunking the Bible is not debunking theism.

Old 01-18-2013, 23:20   #209
Glock36shooter

Quote:
And when they keep practicing medicine and don't pay the fine?

I'm sure you see where I'm going.
From that point they couldn't practice medicine legally without breaking existing laws. It would be no different if I decided tomorrow to start practicing medicine. I'm not an attorney but I'm sure there are already laws that deal with individuals who practice medicine without a license.

As far as the fine... you freeze their accounts and shut down their credit. You seize accounts, investments and property until the debt is satisfied. You garnish any reportable wages. You turn them into an under the table day laborer until they make good on their penalty.

Do you think anyone that wants too should be allowed to practice medicine? License or not?
Old 01-18-2013, 23:26   #210
Glock36shooter

Quote:
I want to know about the first life. Not just the first life on earth. If an older form of life started us, which is possible, it still doesn't answer the question if life started on it's own.
It's possible that that missing element road in on a comet. Earth went through a period called the Heavy Bombardment if I'm not mistaken. When it was pelted with objects from space. Including a large one that later formed the moon. It's possible that any of that could have contained the missing key to life or early life itself. So that leaves us wondering where we came from if we didn't originate here.
Old 01-18-2013, 23:28   #211
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Do you think anyone that wants too should be allowed to practice medicine? License or not?
I do, but that is completely unrelated to what I'm trying to show you.

Quote:
From that point they couldn't practice medicine legally without breaking existing laws. It would be no different if I decided tomorrow to start practicing medicine. I'm not an attorney but I'm sure there are already laws that deal with individuals who practice medicine without a license.

As far as the fine... you freeze their accounts and shut down their credit. You seize accounts, investments and property until the debt is satisfied. You garnish any reportable wages. You turn them into an under the table day laborer until they make good on their penalty.
What if they practice medicine out of their house for cash only. They display the license that you have revoked, because they still have the piece of paper. They pay all taxes owed, but are extremely careful not to pay any extra so you can't get the money that way. They withdrew all their money before you froze their accounts, have cash on hand and do not need to borrow any. What do you do next?

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 23:31   #212
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
I agree about the ignoring him. I will let my shame and sadness for him be my ignore list from now on. Ready? 1,2,3, Go!
Did you see what happened? A couple obvious pathetic troll posts to suck you back in. So sad.
Old 01-18-2013, 23:38   #213
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:

A deity does not need to be disproven to be disbelieved. In fact if someone wants me to believe there is such a thing as a deity empirical evidence would go much further with me than a tale of a donkey communicating using human language.

A belief system is only as credible as the suppositions and assumptions that it is based on. Therefore the individual component stories that together with other stories are the bible SHOULD be open to examination and comparison to observed reality to determine how much credibility such stories should have attached to them IMO. If you believe otherwise please state why.

Jonah being swallowed by a huge fish and living inside it for 3 days does not sound credible to me. The fact that I do not find it credible makes it a realistic point of discussion in disputing a bible believer's version of history. Again, if you believe otherwise please state why.

You may consider the 6 day creation +66 generations from Adam to Jesus + an intervening ~ 2000 years to provide a reasonable SWAG* about the age of the earth but I do not. Why should I disregard apparent discrepancies in Biblical accounts that point to a young earth that clash with conclusions of geological and paleontological research? Do you believe that such claims should be considered off limits to critical examination?

I actually use such claims to determine how much weight to attach to other claims made in the same body of literature as well as figuring the likely hood of other such claims like Noah living to be 804 years against known documentation of the age of long lived (116 years recently) humans.

I don't find such claims credible. If you do than please explain why 969 years for Methuselah's age sounds like a reasonably credible claim to you. Because if that claim is not credible to you than why would it not cause you to reconsider the veracity of the rest of that body of literature?

It is not just the Bible either. The creation accounts of the Enumu Elish and Hindu mythology are equally unlikely.

*Scientific Wild Ass Guess G36. More useless military jargo.

Last edited by G26S239; 01-18-2013 at 23:43..
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36   #214
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Did you see what happened? A couple obvious pathetic troll posts to suck you back in. So sad.
Nope. I didn't see nothin'.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24   #215
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Nope. I didn't see nothin'.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06   #216
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
And when they keep practicing medicine and don't pay the fine?

I'm sure you see where I'm going.
By Golly, do you mean to say that all laws ultimately result in compliance or death?

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05   #217
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I don't know of anyone claiming it does.

What it can do is prove the Bible is not infallible.
Neither are many scholarly texts. Have you read a high school history or government book recently. Talk about slanted.

One thing I'm pretty sure if is that humans have a very hard time reaching perfection.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-19-2013, 06:07   #218
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Debunking the Bible is not debunking theism.

More accurately, finding even quite a few innacuracies in a text that was compiled by many men doesn't even prove the Christian god does not exist, let alone rule out theism.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-19-2013, 06:20   #219
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
A deity does not need to be disproven to be disbelieved. In fact if someone wants me to believe there is such a thing as a deity empirical evidence would go much further with me than a tale of a donkey communicating using human language.

A belief system is only as credible as the suppositions and assumptions that it is based on. Therefore the individual component stories that together with other stories are the bible SHOULD be open to examination and comparison to observed reality to determine how much credibility such stories should have attached to them IMO. If you believe otherwise please state why.

Jonah being swallowed by a huge fish and living inside it for 3 days does not sound credible to me. The fact that I do not find it credible makes it a realistic point of discussion in disputing a bible believer's version of history. Again, if you believe otherwise please state why.

You may consider the 6 day creation +66 generations from Adam to Jesus + an intervening ~ 2000 years to provide a reasonable SWAG* about the age of the earth but I do not. Why should I disregard apparent discrepancies in Biblical accounts that point to a young earth that clash with conclusions of geological and paleontological research? Do you believe that such claims should be considered off limits to critical examination?

I actually use such claims to determine how much weight to attach to other claims made in the same body of literature as well as figuring the likely hood of other such claims like Noah living to be 804 years against known documentation of the age of long lived (116 years recently) humans.

I don't find such claims credible. If you do than please explain why 969 years for Methuselah's age sounds like a reasonably credible claim to you. Because if that claim is not credible to you than why would it not cause you to reconsider the veracity of the rest of that body of literature?

It is not just the Bible either. The creation accounts of the Enumu Elish and Hindu mythology are equally unlikely.

*Scientific Wild Ass Guess G36. More useless military jargo.
Let's not get hung up on this, but "disbelief" is a conscious act, while lacking belief is not.

Back to the point. Have you noticed how often people use analogies, metaphors and stories (real, hypothetical and fictional) to get a point across or to teach a lesson. I've never looked at any old texts and expected them to be completely accurate. Not to mention that word of mouth generational story telling and translation issues were bound to change things over time. Even people that speak the same language from the same area have miscommunication. Add a little distance and it can even get funny. If a British lady asks you to come by her hotel room in the morning to knock her up, it might not mean what you first might think.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-19-2013, 06:23   #220
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Quit trolling the poor fellow. I was saying buh bye to him, you're trying to get him to break his word.

--Gunhaver

Closed Thread