SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 14:43   #26
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
I understand the poacher situation was fictional for the episode. And I understand the philosophy behind going fast/slow and yes, they needed to discuss that....but not standing still in the middle of a clearing! If the poacher situation is real...you're not getting farther from it. If the wild animal situation is real...you're standing there in the open. Better, more common sense thing to do is to discuss it WHILE moving, even slowly. You can watch where you're going, watch where you've been and still move. That's the point.

For example, if it were me and you in Africa, I'd be discussing the situation with you (walk fast/slow in the open/concealed etc) while we were on the move. At least then something is being accomplished. The last thing I'd do is stop in the middle of a clearing with you and open a debate. That accomplishes nothing except exposing us to risk from the front and from behind because we're busy arguing the finer points of survival while not moving or being situationally aware.
Well, I certainly don't disagree with anything you said. I can only assume it was easier to film them if they were standing instead of walking. Easier to do multiple takes and edit them together without obvious continuity errors from changing background.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21   #27
Reaver2218

Send a message via Skype™ to Reaver2218
then new guy seems like an idiot and its a shame he was put on the show with Cody.
Reaver2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35   #28
Jon K

Cody seems to exist within the situation and make the best of it.
Joe wants to fight the situation. While there is a time for fighting , it is not the answer every time.
If all you have is a hammer, every problem has the same answer.
Jon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32   #29
Deputydave

Just watched the 'Into the Frying Pan' episode the other day. Okay, I enjoyed that one. Cody had some good, practical advice about chilling out and thinking through a situation and not making a bad adrenaline-induced decision. Don't think I would have skinned the dead cow like Joe. Didn't seem like he used it for anything, or the horns. Good find on the mirror though.

A note on Dave Canterbury; just watched his apology video on his youtube channel from earlier this month. I give him a big thumbs up and I'm even more impressed with him now than I was before for stepping up to the plate. Takes a man to do that. And I think he has a tremendous amount of experience to offer and who knows, might even try out one of the Pathfinder courses.

Deputydave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37   #30
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
Cody seems to exist within the situation and make the best of it.
Joe wants to fight the situation. While there is a time for fighting , it is not the answer every time.
If all you have is a hammer, every problem has the same answer.
That is a good take on it. Cody is layed back and I like that. It is smart to think things through and then do what needs to be done in a cool, calm, methodical way. Good example is the episode I mentioned above. Joe was ready to charge out. Cody simply asked him, 'when you were involved in an operation, how much plannng went into it'? Joe's answer was weeks, maybe months. Cody was right on the money in that they needed a plan rather than just charging out into the desert. I've lived in the desert here in the U.S. and overseas. It isn't to be taken lightly.
Deputydave is online now   Reply With Quote