SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2013, 21:52   #1
UtahIrishman
BLR

Advice on carry for my wife

I would appreciate some advice from the ladies of GlockTalk regarding carry for my wife. She recently completed the training for her CCW permit and will be getting the paper work done shortly. She will be carrying a Kel-Tec P32.

The question has come up of how she wants to carry and she has said she doesn't want an on the body holster. She would prefer to carry it in her purse or in her pocket. Currently when she answers the door at home she just keeps the Kel-Tec in her pocket (it is in a small snag-less pocket holster)

I am considering getting her a purse designed for carry or possibly something else(?) Valentines Day and her Birthday are coming up shortly and she needs a new purse anyways.

I'm willing to spend upwards of $150 or so for a nice purse that has a sleeve pocket for hiding a pistol.

I know on the body carry is generally encouraged but I'm thinking the purse might be the best choice for her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 22:11   #2
lpo
what?!?!?!?!?

Send a message via Yahoo to lpo
In my experience, men should never buy purses or shoes for a woman. We aren't keeping up with the fashion trends or what not so we don't know what we're looking for

My wife is doing the same thing yours is. She has determined that all concealed carry purses are either ugly as sin or uglier than sin. What she is going to do is buy a purse that she likes, that has a big enough pocket on the outside or stitched to the inside of the purse and then she is going to see a couple strips of industrial strength Velcro to the inside of the pocket. Then we just buy a nylon holster that has the Velcro backing (think Blackhawks attaché line of inserts) an she will have a carry purse that she will actually carry without thinking it looks like cat vomit draped around her neck (her words, not mine)

Your wife may not be into fashion as much as mine is but what ever you decide to buy, take a look at what she already has and see if it looks like it will match her style or utilitarian need.

Hope this was some help.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-19-2013, 22:18   #3
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpo View Post
In my experience, men should never buy purses or shoes for a woman. We aren't keeping up with the fashion trends or what not so we don't know what we're looking for

My wife is doing the same thing yours is. She has determined that all concealed carry purses are either ugly as sin or uglier than sin. What she is going to do is buy a purse that she likes, that has a big enough pocket on the outside or stitched to the inside of the purse and then she is going to see a couple strips of industrial strength Velcro to the inside of the pocket. Then we just buy a nylon holster that has the Velcro backing (think Blackhawks attaché line of inserts) an she will have a carry purse that she will actually carry without thinking it looks like cat vomit draped around her neck (her words, not mine)

Your wife may not be into fashion as much as mine is but what ever you decide to buy, take a look at what she already has and see if it looks like it will match her style or utilitarian need.

Hope this was some help.

I already have a general idea of the kind of purse she wants. It would be basically identical to her current one accept with
with a pistol pocket and a longer strap.

I know I'm stepping out on a limb buying the purse. It's partially because she'll never spend this kind of money on a purse herself and I think she deserves something nice in addition to being good for carry.

I like your idea of modifying a purse to carry. That widens the field considerably.

----
Old 01-19-2013, 23:20   #4
Stock Perfection

Erie Go Braugh! I would suggest not buying anyone a "holster" without them being there. Find a way you like to tell her that you want her to have what she's comfortable with for carrying her side-arm, and then take her wherever she wants to go. Just like us, she's gota get on target before that Kel-Tek is anything more than dead weight. Congrats to your Mrs. on the pistol. Good luck!
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 23:23   #5
SARDG

I have been on this forum for several years recommending against purse-carry. If a bad guy wants your wife's purse, he will have it. I'm a tall gal, in pretty good shape, and in much better shape 20 years ago when my purse was snatched from my grip. I fought him for it, but was eventually dragged down the parking lot while holding onto the side of the 'getaway' car. Fortunately... that was before my days of conceal carry or a gun would have likely been in my purse.

If your wife chooses to carry in a purse she will need a new level of perpetual heightened vigilance. Women's purses are targets for bad guys, even when the BGs have no idea a gun may be inside. Therefore, women are trusting that they will be able to secure or use that gun when needed, but working from a carry rig that already screams "take me" on an ongoing basis.

In addition, women (we) tend to hang our purses over chair backs or put them on the floor at our feet in restaurants... or in shopping carts at the supermarket, or desk drawers at work. Your wife will not be able to do those things if she purse carries, and when a BG wants that purse bad enough, he'll also be capable of ripping it right off the shoulder and neck of your wife and taking it. Crime is often swift and violent.

Some carry purses allow the wearer to keep their hand tucked into the purse in an inconspicuous manner, with the gun at the ready, or even gripped, ready to pull and shoot, or shoot through if necessary. But let the wearer not train with the purse, not expect to encounter a BG, not keep their guard up 100% of the time... that purse with "take me" on the side will be gone. This is why I carry on my person.

Personal on-body carry for women presents other challenges. Women's fashions typically fit our bodies in a more form-fitting manner than gentlemen, and our jean pockets are the size of postage stamps. The P-32 is ridiculously small, but will still probably require an overblouse if used with an IWB (which she doesn't want) or even pocket carry holster.

Clearly, daily carry requires some dedication and forethought. I can't give you a right answer; only food for thought.
SARDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 00:36   #6
lpo
what?!?!?!?!?

Send a message via Yahoo to lpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
I have been on this forum for several years recommending against purse-carry. If a bad guy wants your wife's purse, he will have it. I'm a tall gal, in pretty good shape, and in much better shape 20 years ago when my purse was snatched from my grip. I fought him for it, but was eventually dragged down the parking lot while holding onto the side of the 'getaway' car. Fortunately... that was before my days of conceal carry or a gun would have likely been in my purse.

If your wife chooses to carry in a purse she will need a new level of perpetual heightened vigilance. Women's purses are targets for bad guys, even when the BGs have no idea a gun may be inside. Therefore, women are trusting that they will be able to secure or use that gun when needed, but working from a carry rig that already screams "take me" on an ongoing basis.

In addition, women (we) tend to hang our purses over chair backs or put them on the floor at our feet in restaurants... or in shopping carts at the supermarket, or desk drawers at work. Your wife will not be able to do those things if she purse carries, and when a BG wants that purse bad enough, he'll also be capable of ripping it right off the shoulder and neck of your wife and taking it. Crime is often swift and violent.

Some carry purses allow the wearer to keep their hand tucked into the purse in an inconspicuous manner, with the gun at the ready, or even gripped, ready to pull and shoot, or shoot through if necessary. But let the wearer not train with the purse, not expect to encounter a BG, not keep their guard up 100% of the time... that purse with "take me" on the side will be gone. This is why I carry on my person.

Personal on-body carry for women presents other challenges. Women's fashions typically fit our bodies in a more form-fitting manner than gentlemen, and our jean pockets are the size of postage stamps. The P-32 is ridiculously small, but will still probably require an overblouse if used with an IWB (which she doesn't want) or even pocket carry holster.

Clearly, daily carry requires some dedication and forethought. I can't give you a right answer; only food for thought.
My wife has slowly come to the conclusion that she will carry hers on her most of the time for the same reasons you listed. Her only reason for a carry purse is for those few occasions where having it on her presents is highly cumbersome I.e gym clothes, that quick run to the grocery store has station/ gas station at 10 or 11 at night in pajamas, etc. she has always been very religious about buying purses with a strap long enough to go over head and on the opposite shoulder but you still make very good arguments.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28   #7
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

While I prefer to carry on body for security, it isn't always possible. There is no good place to secure a gun in my church clothes, for instance (yes, church carry is legal here). I really would give her a gift cert for the purse, though, because she needs to try drawing from the purse she wants. It takes longer. As in twice as long. You have to be willing to deal with that. And some are designed poorly and it is just impossible to get the gun out under stress because the opening is too small, or the zipper breaks the first time you yank on it hard (both experiences I've had practicing). The other issue is the extra weight of the gun. That sounds like nothing, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me - literally screwing up my back, the weight of a lovely leather purse plus the gun, and all the other stuff I usually carried in my purse. I had to change the type of purse I would normally carry, in order to keep the weight to something reasonable.

I've finally gotten so annoyed that I bought a purse pattern that I am going to modify and make from my favorite batik fabrics, quilt, install velcro and my holster, shove my gun in it and go with that.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
...The other issue is the extra weight of the gun. That sounds like nothing, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me - literally screwing up my back, the weight of a lovely leather purse plus the gun, and all the other stuff I usually carried in my purse. I had to change the type of purse I would normally carry, in order to keep the weight to something reasonable...
I had exactly the same problem. I developed back problems from something - not even sure how. But when I brought my purse into the Physical Therapist appointment and she picked it up, she told me I'll need to get rid of that weight - and I didn't have my gun in it at the time! I have since tried to quit carrying a purse altogether, or at least minimize the weight when I need to. Regardless, my gun doesn't go in the purse.

...and to lpo, the longish strap over the head and opposite shoulder is probably the most secure way - but an older lady last year here in Florida, who had her purse seemingly well-secured, was knocked down and dragged several feet - trying to hang on presumably. She later died from the head injury. Bad guys have nothing to lose and don't consider the consequences of their actions. Remember... violent and swift!
Old 01-21-2013, 20:34   #9
Cheri81

i am curious if anyone carries in the low back area? i holster my P22Q in my mid back when reloading and it seems to be a better fit there for me that side or front. I have never tried it with the G19 yet as i am still waiting on it what are some thoughts or feedback?
Cheri81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:06   #10
UtahIrishman
BLR

Thanks for the input. Right now she's comfortable with carrying in her pocket. But not all her clothes have pockets, especially during the summer.

I'm going to talk with her about this. Originally I wanted to surprise her with a really nice purse that she could also carry her pistol in. But I can see I'll need more input from her than her saying I want one just like I have but with a longer strap.

The thought of a thief pulling on her purse really bothers me too. She is small and frail. It wouldn't take much for a thief to catch her off balance, though she just might put him down with her cane (She surprises me sometimes).

----
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08   #11
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri81 View Post
i am curious if anyone carries in the low back area? i holster my P22Q in my mid back when reloading and it seems to be a better fit there for me that side or front. I have never tried it with the G19 yet as i am still waiting on it what are some thoughts or feedback?
Give it a try and tell us how it goes. The only time I think it might not work would be when you are driving.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40   #12
Stock Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri81 View Post
I carried primarily right (strong) side around the kidney area, and rarely had a problem.
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11   #13
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
Thanks for the input. Right now she's comfortable with carrying in her pocket. But not all her clothes have pockets, especially during the summer...
I live in Florida and feel her pain...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29   #14
Cheri81

well it will be a while before i can try any of it i live in Illinois and we may or may not ever get CCw
Cheri81 is offline   Reply With Quote