Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 23:58   #21
duncan
Lifetime Membership

That is one fine bull you claimed there with a beautiful rack.

I went elk hunting this season in the Cascade Mountains on the Eastern side of Washington State.

We saw some sign and tracks about half mile from our camp at 4,000 feet along with a cougar following the elk, no glass on them. Timber is extremely thick so long shots are hard to get. No one in our wilderness area claimed an elk during our short 3 days.

Well, I'm really happy for you. It's a great blessing you have there to be so successful.

Last edited by duncan; 01-20-2013 at 23:58..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24   #22
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
That is one fine bull you claimed there with a beautiful rack.

I went elk hunting this season in the Cascade Mountains on the Eastern side of Washington State.

We saw some sign and tracks about half mile from our camp at 4,000 feet along with a cougar following the elk, no glass on them. Timber is extremely thick so long shots are hard to get. No one in our wilderness area claimed an elk during our short 3 days.

Well, I'm really happy for you. It's a great blessing you have there to be so successful.
Thanks, Duncan. I'm looking forward to getting the mount back next October. This guy was a thrasher. Five of his antler tines were broken off at the tip, and a sixth (3rd tine right) had only a 4" stub remaining. He won't score high, maybe 260 or so, some because of the broken tines but mostly for lack of beam length. It's typical for the area partly because of hunting pressure that keeps bulls from getting very old. The drought this year probably affected antler growth, too.

I'm guessing you hunted a late season. Too bad you didn't have longer to hunt but at least you got into the country for a few days. Good to recharge the spirit.

I've driven over the Cascades a couple times and remember it being heavily forested and steep on the east side. I'd love to hunt Roosevelt Elk in the coastal rain forest of the Pacific NW. The forest of the Olympic Range is particularly beautiful with the huge trees, heavy down timber, and the rich, cushy moss floor. I suppose it's not easy to draw a license there.

The first step to getting an elk is to go elk hunting, and if it were easy everybody would do it. But I would encourage any GT hunter who hasn't chased elk to seriously consider doing it, especially while you're younger. A do-it-yourself hunt doesn't have to be expensive if you prepare.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote