GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54   #26
Atomic Punk

i hope it passes. every gun owner should want to improve skills, and practice more often, but it should be up to them, not laws that force it.

i am far more afraid of drivers in vehicles than under trained gun owners. drive around any city, the stupid abounds.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39   #27
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I'm a big 2nd amendment supporter and favor almost no limits, but I do feel that most people who carry concealed are under trained and am torn. There is part of me that feels that there should be substantially more training and more stringent shooting/qualifying before a person should be allowed to carry concealed.
Do you think you should have training to exercise your other rights? Get a clue. The right to keep and bear = own and carry.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16   #28
Redheadhunter21

Everyone should have the right to bear arms....that said I would be ok with open carry as the only means without a permit and having to qualify to conceal carry which would allow carry in any place that is still off limits as of now. Price point should be bare minimum to cover costs.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26   #29
bear62

Quote:
Good question. In the last couple years, AR expanded their reciprocity, so I haven't even bothered to renew my out of state Utah, which expired late last year.

Would seem like Utah reciprocity would go away, or possibly honor reciprocity with people still hold a non-expired Utah CCL. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
ftnedator, you guys (that is AR) are doing something right. I just checked your reciprocity and it is fantastic. My non-resident UT gives me Washington and Ohio, which on occasion I need. My resident CO permit does not cover those states.
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44   #30
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Tell you what, there are at least 19 states that require zero shooting test prior to issuing a CCW permit.
There are only slightly fewer states that require ZERO training at all (WA, AL, PA, DE, come to mind immediately) and more than that where a hunting safety course is all that is required before issuing a CCW permit.

If you can prove, by actual numbers from the state sites, that the states that require training have fewer bad shootings and/or fewer innocents shot, you may have a point.

Hell, I challenge you to tell which states require what kind or lack of training strictly by bad and/or illegal use of firearms by CCW holders.

I'm betting you've never really looked into it that far, you're just going on what you believe and feel is true. Problem is, your beliefs and feelings have no basis in reality. I'm serious, look it up for yourself and see if you can show anyone that CCW holders in any state have so many bad shoots that there is a good argument for more training required.
EXACTLY!

Indiana has had concealed carry for longer than most of the 50 states, no training, no classes.. and frankly, it's just not really an issue that even makes a blip on the news. I remember a few years ago a guy dropped a "derringer" in a restaurant and it went off, and hit him in the hip.

Been a while since I've read about a CCW'er having an ND.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46   #31
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
First, I made it very clear this is the way I "feel" because I and you and every gun owner has seen other gun owners that just make us cringe with their lack of safety, knowledge, etc.
I've seen way more newspaper articles, editorials, and posts on DU that make me cringe with disbelief at someone's lack of knowledge... than I have uninformed gun owners.

I don't advocate permits for free speech.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55   #32
Atomic Punk

for all the other lib crazyness around. wa state only want some money before you get a permit. only $55.25.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05   #33
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
and with out a permit, how can a LEO differentiate for a law abiding citizen and a criminal with a gun?
Criminals carry anyway. The law just makes honest people jump through hoops. Say a cop pulls someone over, he is going to find out if they have a record or not regardless of if they show him a permit or not.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 01-24-2013 at 12:06..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:16   #34
BSG62
Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
First paragraph true. Not touching the second. Third is false. 6 rounds at 10 feet. I took the class on 7/3/12 in Salt Lake.
Utah does not, by law, require live fire. This doesn't mean that instructors can't include live fire as part of their curriculum.

BSG62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:00   #35
harrygunner

Great. Hope it passes.

Personal responsibility and accountability are key.

To speak, one should learn to speak well.
To vote, one should research candidates and vote responsibly.
For self defense, one should seek training.

But, no natural right should have conditions on them. The more we replace individual accountability with government requirements, the weaker we become.
Old 01-24-2013, 15:48   #36
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG62 View Post
Utah does not, by law, require live fire. This doesn't mean that instructors can't include live fire as part of their curriculum.
This is correct. Many instructors include live fire at their own discretion. It is not required by law. The Utah class just covers the legalities of having a permit. I even know a blind man with one.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:36   #37
RGbiker

I hope Constitutional Carry passes in Utah, to come in line with Arizona.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:40   #38
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
I'm a big 2nd amendment supporter and favor almost no limits, but I do feel that most people who carry concealed are under trained and am torn. There is part of me that feels that there should be substantially more training and more stringent shooting/qualifying before a person should be allowed to carry concealed.
I am sorry but that is suggesting that we ask the government for permission slips to exercise our rights. THe moment when we decided that a permit system would need to be in place is when we decided that the 2nd Amendment is not truly a natural right. And to that I quote the great Samuel Adams, as a permit system is nothing but a tax on our rights.

Quote:
Originally said by Samuel Adams:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:45   #39
The Fed

More than once I've seen idiots at a range almost shoot others. Not the kind I would want to carry a gun without formal training. These are the type of morons who would pull it out to show someone and not unload it first.

Last edited by The Fed; 01-24-2013 at 16:46..
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:01   #40
tnedator
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
ftnedator, you guys (that is AR) are doing something right. I just checked your reciprocity and it is fantastic. My non-resident UT gives me Washington and Ohio, which on occasion I need. My resident CO permit does not cover those states.
Yea, a few years back our reciprocal states ballooned. It's handy.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-24-2013, 19:51   #41
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
I can't wait
this is what every state in the nation should do

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=757...cid=featured-3
It's been working day in and out here in Vermont since 1791,that's 222 years.
Vermont has never known any other form of carry. What is now known as Constitutional carry was once refereed to as Vermont Style carry,I'm glad other states are adopting Constitutional carry. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 18:37   #42
COLDSTEEL165

Nice Utah has a large population of the Mormon Faith right.?
COLDSTEEL165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 18:49   #43
Taphius

Quote:
I would say the same thing about the English language and writing on the internet.
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 20:33   #44
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDSTEEL165 View Post
Nice Utah has a large population of the Mormon Faith right.?
Having lived in Pleasant Groove Utah for a few years I can answer with a Yes.
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 20:51   #45
TheNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
Currently you don't have to do any sort of shooting test to get your Utah CCW.
Yep. That's true. Just got my Utah CCW permit in the mail. Filled out the paperwork, sent it in with the $$$, two months later, I have it in hand. I live in Commiefornia.