GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43   #21
jakebrake
cracker
 
jakebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
A pair of 3" Lew Horton round butts. Good for Carhartt coat carry in the winter.

Caliber Corner
yeah, those are beauts!
__________________
God made man, Sam Colt made us equal, John Moses Browning made us civilized... freemasons club Number 57
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46   #22
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Stainless steel beauties!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 13:47   #23
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
What you say is absolutely true, Canyon Man. However, like you I am on the Border and one never knows what they will encounter on two legs in the desert and this is where numbers come into play. I have no problem with a revolver as a backup and do it myself. However, for primary CCW back where the hawks screw the chickens, it's a Glock or p229 stuffed to the gunwales with hot HP's & spare mags to who laid the chunk. As for critters, there are pumas here as there and although I have never shot one personally, I have no worries as they are light boned. Speaking of which, I swear I saw a Jaguarundi cross a dirt road in front of me the other night about 700 yds. from the Rio Grande!! : They are rarer than unicorn piss.




LOL...

Well you've probably seen enough of my post over the years to know that on a ranch the size of this one, and my other brother's place as well near Ft Davis Tx. We have to be on the watch for the two legged coyotes, drug runners, and you name it trying cross the place. They can steal horses, butcher cattle, and start fires, and you name it. I EDC on the ranch a Vaquero 44mag/or 45LC and Hard Cast Bullets, cause I always have ! Ha.

And for a number of years a G20 stuffed with 200gr HC and extra mags in the saddle bags, for those times I will be a looong way back in the cactus and mesquite in high lonesome, in case it hit the fan I had some "auto power, and quick loading high cap mags. Also a long gun in the saddle scabbard of the lever type (i am still just old fashion and this is life style) but these big 45-70 405 gr honkers can reach out and touch someone real well. Ha.

The Vaquero side are is usually enough and I been shooting big bore SA's fo 50 years, so pull point and shoot is prett easy for me, and ain't to shabby when aiming at very long range as well. I have had to "point the muzzle on a few in my time.' In this case speaking of trespassers etc, and those big holes have always persuaded them ! Ha.

Other stories that woulsd be stupid to share on a forum (let the reader under stand).


Well amigo, just dropped by last night for a minute, and same here now. It is time to get going, so be safe man and keep your eyes along the sky light.


Adios for now.


Here's a few pics of just "Part" of the ranch, I've probably shown before...

Son at the gate behind the ranch house..


Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner


Alot of country here to keep an eye on amigo.








CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:35   #24
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,364
I can only see one reason to get a dedicated .44 spl. revolver - because it's a 5-shot that is smaller for carrying. But if I was going with a 6-shot revolver, no way it would be .44 spl. - I'd either get a .44 mag, so I could shoot special or magnum, or I'd get a .45 that takes .45 ACP, if I really never want to shoot magnum
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet, where you could pretend to be anything you want; so how come so many people on this forum pretend to be limpwristed sissies?
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:04   #25
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I can only see one reason to get a dedicated .44 spl. revolver - because it's a 5-shot that is smaller for carrying. But if I was going with a 6-shot revolver, no way it would be .44 spl. - I'd either get a .44 mag, so I could shoot special or magnum, or I'd get a .45 that takes .45 ACP, if I really never want to shoot magnum
Caliber Corner


Caliber Corner
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:05   #26
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I can only see one reason to get a dedicated .44 spl. revolver - because it's a 5-shot that is smaller for carrying. But if I was going with a 6-shot revolver, no way it would be .44 spl. - I'd either get a .44 mag, so I could shoot special or magnum, or I'd get a .45 that takes .45 ACP, if I really never want to shoot magnum
I don't have a dedicated DA revolver in .44 special but the Charter Arms meets the five-shot rational however, the 6 shot Ruger Flattop is really in a class of it's own in modern single actions in the field. It is lighter and sleeker/slicker than a Blackhawk in magnum calibers.

For me, being a handloader, if I didn't have a 4" 629 and I rand across a 624, with its lighter tapered barrel I would be every bit as happy since my "magnum" loads fall in the upper end of the modern special envelope.

When you discover that your special load will completely penetrate and exit your game at reasonable handgun (IE: how far can you hit it reliably) ranges, chasing more "magnum velocity" seems to be waste.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 17:45   #27
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
For me, being a handloader, if I didn't have a 4" 629
Handled one of these today in a local gun shop. Used it was 800.00$

I might kick myself for passing on it. I might go put some money on it...............still looking around and handling guns.

.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 17:49   #28
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I have a couple, the Taurus 431 and a Ruger NM Bisley Flattop.
I handled a used Taurus blued 44 mag today at a local shop. It really fealt good. 2.5 in ported barrel. They wanted 499$ for it. I thought that was a bit high. It felt good though and I still might put some money on it.

.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:40   #29
digilo
Senior Member
 
digilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 303
I might try to find a .44 Special, though not the Charter. I had one, and they advise shooting only 200 gr and under loads. I shot some 246 gr LRN through it and that loosened the screws in it. It also shot very low and to the left, which was why I sold it. I'd get a Taurus before I'd get the Charter.
__________________
Taste the wares, Email.
digilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:57   #30
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
A few hours left on this one. I almost jumped on it.

Caliber Corner

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327459337


.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:12   #31
rustytxrx
Senior Member
 
rustytxrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
Ooooo me too!

Caliber Corner
__________________
Rusty
Texas, I luv u
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:21   #32
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
So here is what I bought.

Caliber Corner

Description Smith and Wesson 629 Deluxe Revolver SPECIFICATIONS: Item No: SM150715 UPC No: 022188141597 MFG Model No: 150715 Family: 629 Series Model: 629 Deluxe Type: Revolver Action: Double / Single Action Caliber: 44 Magnum 44 Special Finish: Stainless Frame: Steel Frame Grip: Wood Sights: Red Ramp / Adjustable Barrel Length: 3"

739$

Being sent to my local Gun Shop.

.
__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:51   #33
jakebrake
cracker
 
jakebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 7,915
nice! now you have a 44 special, or a 44 magnum!

and the number isn't that bad, either.
__________________
God made man, Sam Colt made us equal, John Moses Browning made us civilized... freemasons club Number 57
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:59   #34
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Good to go!
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03   #35
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,241


Nice, I have one very similar, but full lug and unfluted. It's a beast with magnums and more so with those grips.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08   #36
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Nice, I have one very similar, but full lug and unfluted. It's a beast with magnums and more so with those grips.

I will probably use a 44 special load in a magnum case. I don't have the dies, brass, primers, or bullets yet, so I still have to sink the coin into it.

Not sure what to carry for SD. I don't think they make Golden Saber for 44 magnum. I'd like a light 44 magnum load or else I will have to settle for a 44 special load.


__________________
Bickford Schmeckler: ******* tyranny of logic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57   #37
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,739
I had a 629 mountain gun I used to carry but the width of the cylinder was a killer in an IWB holster but for back up in the woods with an OWB holster was great light and big .44 mag. power.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52   #38
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
So here is what I bought.

Caliber Corner

Description Smith and Wesson 629 Deluxe Revolver SPECIFICATIONS: Item No: SM150715 UPC No: 022188141597 MFG Model No: 150715 Family: 629 Series Model: 629 Deluxe Type: Revolver Action: Double / Single Action Caliber: 44 Magnum 44 Special Finish: Stainless Frame: Steel Frame Grip: Wood Sights: Red Ramp / Adjustable Barrel Length: 3"

739$



Being sent to my local Gun Shop.

.
You have a revolver that is ready for ANYTHING.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:57.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 742
178 Members
564 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31