Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 19:03   #1
CBennett

Good Boots(yeah another thread)

Ok I am getting sick of the same old CRAP boots I can get on works dime...the same old crap thats barely ok or just junk these junkers include Magnum hi tecs,Bates,Converse, the sub $150 5.11's. No more not again.

I have 2 sets of decent boots 1 is a Cochran gortex one its a bit big and bulky but its decent

The BEST by far I have is a Pair of danners I think they are the Original Strikers most comfortable pair of boots ive ever worn and they last a good long time also.

Ive been on my feet a lot lately(walking instead of mostly sitting at a desk) so im again realizing how BAD these ones I listed in the first paragraph and and how GREAT the ones(Danner Cohchrans) are for my feet.

I need ones that hopefully(and I realize unless you tried youd not know the danners and cochrans do) will pass through a mteal detector without me having to remove them(we pass through one going into work...if your boots cant pass you need to take time to take them off and go through without them on...ive tossed new boots 1 day out of the box into the goodwill box worn ONLY that day for failing this test)

Give me some brands I may be missing...Im curerntly looking at another:

pair of Danners(though they have changed to the strikerII and I dont know if they are the same as the originals)

Haix

Lowa

HanWag(though i cant really find a place here in the states that has them)

Meindl duty boots

they have to be black duty boots and preferably pass through a metal detector I KNOW the Haix,Lowa,Danners WILL im not sure about any of the others... also any other GOOD brands im missing...im willing to go say $300 if they can be resoled(i know danner Acadia will NOT go through the detector i watch guys have to take them off every day lol)
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:41   #2
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Ridge air tac, Oakley

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by SCSU74; 01-26-2013 at 20:41..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:22   #3
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Ridge air tac, Oakley

any idea on how those 2 hold up/build quality?
Old 01-26-2013, 23:39   #4
Sgt127

I had a pair of Haix. They were incredible, it actually felt like they were custom made for my feet. Weighed nothing. No insulation and cool in the summer. I wore them for awhile and rotated them out with other boots...apparently until just after the warranty ran out, and then started to wear them full time.

Within a month, I could hear a popping noise when I took a step, the sole in the heel area seperated from the rest of the boot.

I may buy another pair, but, kinda ticked me off.

I wear Altama black jungle boots alot. (Altama 3LC Jungle Mil Spec is the current version)

They are a little heavy, but, they really breath. When I'm out playing on the streets in August in Texas, Waterproof and insultated are very low on my list.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47   #5
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Oakley. Best boots I have ever worn. They have held up well, extremely comfortable, good support. Converse are in second place. Danners might last forever, but they are just as miserable to wear as those old POS Corcoran paratroopers. Thank God some companies came out with something that let us get rid of those antiques.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49   #6
cesaros

http://www.rockyboots.com/s2v

After wearing my Oakley boots for a while, I switched to Rocky.

the S2V is by far the best boot I've ever used.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02   #7
Schaffer

Danner Acadias here.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40   #8
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer View Post
Danner Acadias here.
love them but just cant see taking them off every day just to get through the detector. Wish they would make a non metallic version.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43   #9
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
Oakley. Best boots I have ever worn. They have held up well, extremely comfortable, good support. Converse are in second place. Danners might last forever, but they are just as miserable to wear as those old POS Corcoran paratroopers. Thank God some companies came out with something that let us get rid of those antiques.
tried the converse 2 times threw 1 away gave the other one that i tried on at home to another guy at work..not good for me the part near the ankle thats plastic dig into my ankle and one boot 1 time left one time right felt like it had rocks in the soles. So id never bet those again lol.

the Oakleys i think i will look into.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47   #10
CBennett

Anyone wearing Lowas or Meindls?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59   #11
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Regarding my previous thread, I may just go to the S2V as the replacement to the Eliminator. I may elect to add the Acadia for winter use if the sole type isn't the best in our area.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:13   #12
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

I just picked up a pair of the Blackhawk Desert Ops boots. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Hands down.

It's about time to replace my Oakley boots, for uniform wear, so I think I'm going to go with the Blackhawk Black Ops.

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:38   #13
bccop

Anyone try Under Armor Breech Boots? Getting a new pair of boots this year and have about $350 to spend. Need something light, durable, and above all very waterproof. These will be used at work and hunting.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:56   #14
USDB2FCI

Some Acadias can pass the front lobby. We would pick up our free one's at the warehouse then drive to the Danner store about 50 miles away and trade for the Acadias that clear the front lobby. To bad you cant do that. Sent from Sheridan
USDB2FCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:24   #15
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDB2FCI View Post
Some Acadias can pass the front lobby. We would pick up our free one's at the warehouse then drive to the Danner store about 50 miles away and trade for the Acadias that clear the front lobby. To bad you cant do that. Sent from Sheridan
yeah that would be great...I actually just found that out today talking to a few guys....some do some dont...seems the guys with the NEWER ones mostly clear and guys with ones several years old cant. If I can get a good deal on these I just may do it! I love my Strikers but they cant be resoled(or id just do that) also saw Rocky has a very similar looking boot in the Portland that can also be resoled..but i think youd have to get a shoe repair place ..unlike danner

I can find the HanWags Special Forces boots(German made) for around $245 but shipping is the killer on those.
Old 01-27-2013, 21:19   #16
CBennett

Oh and does anyone know if Danner still offers a LE discount I seem to see them low end at around $225 or so at places...I wanted to see if Danner had LE discount before I made my mind up though. Was thinking strongly of the Acadias but cant see paying $280+ I can see paying closer to $200 even

Right now the running seems down to:

Rocky Portlands (very Acadia like at 1/2 the price)
Danner Acadias
Meindl

But Im not sure if the Meindls can be rebuilt/resoled and thats really what im looking for in these ones

Last edited by CBennett; 01-27-2013 at 21:25..
Old 01-27-2013, 21:32   #17
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
yeah that would be great...I actually just found that out today talking to a few guys....some do some dont...seems the guys with the NEWER ones mostly clear and guys with ones several years old cant. If I can get a good deal on these I just may do it! I love my Strikers but they cant be resoled(or id just do that) also saw Rocky has a very similar looking boot in the Portland that can also be resoled..but i think youd have to get a shoe repair place ..unlike danner

I can find the HanWags Special Forces boots(German made) for around $245 but shipping is the killer on those.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair of Danner Acadias with my next boot voucher (within the next month) and paying the difference, and wondered if they'd clear the lobby. Up until now, I've mostly been wearing the 5.11 ATAC 6" with good results, though the sole wears out after 9 months to a year.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:37   #18
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I just picked up a pair of the Blackhawk Desert Ops boots. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Hands down.

It's about time to replace my Oakley boots, for uniform wear, so I think I'm going to go with the Blackhawk Black Ops.

I've been using the Blackhawk Desert ops boots for the ARNG since 2008; awesome boots!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:01   #19
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccop View Post
Anyone try Under Armor Breech Boots? Getting a new pair of boots this year and have about $350 to spend. Need something light, durable, and above all very waterproof. These will be used at work and hunting.
I bought a pair of Breech around November of 2011. They meet two of your three criteria: they are durable and very waterproof. They are a full grain leather upper, and as such are on the heavy and stiff side. They are not light compared to anything but a Danner Acadia, but they are comfortable once broken in. They have a pretty clunky sole, but that contributes to them being comfortable. I find that they are excellent in the cold and acceptable in the heat. I only wear them about 25% of the time, though as the weight is a detracting factor for me.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17   #20
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post

Rocky Portlands (very Acadia like at 1/2 the price)

I've have several pairs of Rockys issued to me and yes, they are half the price or less of the Danner Acadia. They however, are also about 1/2 or less the quality. I've hated every pair of Rocky boots I've had the displeasure of putting on my feet. My Danners on the other hand are 5 years old and the leather still looks great and not a single stitch has frayed or came loose. There expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk