GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 18:38   #61
phonejack

About 10-12 years ago a gun writer named Jacob Gottfriedson wrote an article for "Tactical Shooter" entitled "What it's Good For? ". And I realized that I had numerous rifles that were only good for shooting at black bullseyes on white backgrounds on known distance ranges. I sold all of them. (Shooting on a manicured range does not make one a rifleman) just sayin'
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 13:58   #62
rootbrain
Mayan Priest

My .02 as a new site user and new to AR's.

Not new to guns, I own XD 9mm for CC, Marlin 336 30-30 for deer and Rem 870 primarily for HD, but use it for bird hunting as well.

I've been thinking about getting AR-15 since 2004 when the ban ended, but just kept putting it off. Finally made the decision and got one. My choice, Colt 6920 was made for several reasons, and after extensive "lurking" on different gun forums, including this one. Will list my reasons at the end, FWIW.

I tried as best I could to avoid manufacturer specific sites (i.e. Bushmasterowners.com, coltARusersforums.org, DPMSisTHEbestARintheWorld.net ) because of the inherent prejudice towards a certain AR. Instead, I use sites like Glock Talk. Why? Well, because you, and they are focused on other manufacturers and platforms, but have a good user base and forums specific to the platform of interest to me (AR-15), I was able to get information based on actual user experience, with less prejudice towards a certain manufacturer.

Because of this site, and other like it, I feel I've made the right choice for me. My reasons:

1. I don't want to assemble parts and build my own.
2. Doesn't matter if I could have one cheaper, I can afford what I got, the extra $100-300 I spent is a non-issue.
3. I don't want to have to try to find pre-ban vs post-ban rifle/carbine due to possible temporary quality control issues (ref. Bushmaster carrier key staking issue, temporary and only on some).
4. I wanted a carbine from a company that has history, not from someone that saw profit to be made a few years back and forming a "gun company" to realize that profit on a single, popular format.

Anyway, I would like to express thanks to gurus and novices alike here (and other places) for helping me make my decision. I'm happy with it, and will continue to read, learn and try on my new platform.

I will post, when I think that I have something that might help, but I am by no means an expert (although I did use and qualify with M16 many years ago - Regular Army!) I'm just getting back to it.

Anything I post is more likely to be something that somebody somewhere said they heard or saw on YouTube, or tried with success, but not completely, but maybe.

Feel free to correct, chastise, teach or inform me as you will.

Thanks
rootbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:13   #63
shadow_dog
Hilljack

Here goes, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. 53 years old, no combat experience, shooting since I was 8 years old. Taught to shoot by a WWII combat vet, my dad. I have put untold thousands of rds downrange and into things both alive and inert. Let the flaming begin.

Tiers? I don't care about "tiers" or classifications. If I have any unresolvable issues out of a weapon, or it tends to be problematic during use, it stays in the safe for any issue that may require self defence. I have had several different weapons of all brands over my lifetime. I have had builds of what people may call "questionable" quality run better than so called upper tier weapons and vice versa. IMO, it comes down to knowing your weapon and its issues if any during/over periods of use.

Last edited by shadow_dog; 01-26-2013 at 21:14..
shadow_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 17:30   #64
nostalgiaguy

Great post. But with the cost of todays ammo , I am only training now with rifles made by daisy or crossman. LOL
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27   #65
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
About 10-12 years ago a gun writer named Jacob Gottfriedson wrote an article for "Tactical Shooter" entitled "What it's Good For? ". And I realized that I had numerous rifles that were only good for shooting at black bullseyes on white backgrounds on known distance ranges. I sold all of them. (Shooting on a manicured range does not make one a rifleman) just sayin'
So, those Marines and Army soldiers who compete at Wimbledon, by your definitions are not "riflemen" then?

You tactical people are just too much.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05   #66
TedG
Infidel USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_dog View Post
Here goes, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. 53 years old, no combat experience, shooting since I was 8 years old. Taught to shoot by a WWII combat vet, my dad. I have put untold thousands of rds downrange and into things both alive and inert. Let the flaming begin.

Tiers? I don't care about "tiers" or classifications. If I have any unresolvable issues out of a weapon, or it tends to be problematic during use, it stays in the safe for any issue that may require self defence. I have had several different weapons of all brands over my lifetime. I have had builds of what people may call "questionable" quality run better than so called upper tier weapons and vice versa. IMO, it comes down to knowing your weapon and its issues if any during/over periods of use.

+1

Absolutely. Don't get caught up in the if it isn't a (enter brand name here) then it isn't a real AR fanboy game. A lot of people are just trying to justify their own personal expensive purchase.

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.

Last edited by TedG; 05-11-2013 at 10:06..
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07   #67
M&P15T
Beard One

Has this devolved into the typical "if you're not military, you don't know what you're talking about" crapola yet?

FWIW, ARs are toys.

That's right.....for the majority of civilian owners, ARs are nothing but toys. We buy them because they're cool, interesting, fun, and fun to shoot.

Trying to categorize people, and thusly define what AR they should own, is completely silly. Especially since it usually comes down to money and what one simply likes/wants.

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-24-2014 at 13:55..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:37   #68
kilibreaux

JHC!

A "homebuilt" AR-15 generally takes only a few rounds to "proof."

The IDEAL AR is one built from an 80% lower....there are no words that ameliorate that fact.
kilibreaux is offline   Reply With Quote