SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 13:13   #21
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
I've have several pairs of Rockys issued to me and yes, they are half the price or less of the Danner Acadia. They however, are also about 1/2 or less the quality. I've hated every pair of Rocky boots I've had the displeasure of putting on my feet. My Danners on the other hand are 5 years old and the leather still looks great and not a single stitch has frayed or came loose. There expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
yeah im gonna see if I can get the girl at work to order me a pair. I got told with LE discount $166.14 and thats quite a bit better than I can do on my own(which is $225-230)
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:10   #22
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
yeah im gonna see if I can get the girl at work to order me a pair. I got told with LE discount $166.14 and thats quite a bit better than I can do on my own(which is $225-230)
I guess we're just spoiled by having Galls in town; I can just get the voucher and go into town and pick what I want, and pay the difference if it's over the $100 allowed.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:25   #23
Mattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
I had a pair of Haix. They were incredible, it actually felt like they were custom made for my feet. Weighed nothing. No insulation and cool in the summer. I wore them for awhile and rotated them out with other boots...apparently until just after the warranty ran out, and then started to wear them full time.

Within a month, I could hear a popping noise when I took a step, the sole in the heel area seperated from the rest of the boot.

I may buy another pair, but, kinda ticked me off.

I wear Altama black jungle boots alot. (Altama 3LC Jungle Mil Spec is the current version)

They are a little heavy, but, they really breath. When I'm out playing on the streets in August in Texas, Waterproof and insultated are very low on my list.
Wear Haix too... just purchased a second pair after wearing the current for 5 years.
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:22   #24
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattz View Post
Wear Haix too... just purchased a second pair after wearing the current for 5 years.
I could get a pair of those for around $140 but I dont believe they are resolable or rebuild-able...BUT if the Danner deal falls through I will probably go Haix or Lowa GSG Revos or the Meindels(but ive heard that thos Meindl boots from Cabelas are not what they consider "top of the line" Meindels closer to bottom line(dont know if thats true or false)

But since im not due Boots right now this will be FULLY on my dime...so I have to see if the girl that orders boots is still able to use her boot buying powers as long as I reimburse(to get the LE discount)
Old 01-28-2013, 16:24   #25
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair of Danner Acadias with my next boot voucher (within the next month) and paying the difference, and wondered if they'd clear the lobby. Up until now, I've mostly been wearing the 5.11 ATAC 6" with good results, though the sole wears out after 9 months to a year.
You know what ive got 511's cant remember the model but I cant get them to clear the metal detector so ive not been wearing them recently they are a side zip model.
Old 01-28-2013, 16:27   #26
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
You know what ive got 511's cant remember the model but I cant get them to clear the metal detector so ive not been wearing them recently they are a side zip model.
Yeah, I don't wear the 8" ATACs for that reason. The 6" "quarter boot" size does clear it, though.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-28-2013, 22:55   #27
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
any idea on how those 2 hold up/build quality?
Oakley assaults last about 2 years and run $140. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, until I tried the ridge. The ridge air-tacs are like a tennis show with air/gel heel, they rock. Had them about 6 months and they've held up great so far.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-28-2013, 22:59   #28
bccop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I bought a pair of Breech around November of 2011. They meet two of your three criteria: they are durable and very waterproof. They are a full grain leather upper, and as such are on the heavy and stiff side. They are not light compared to anything but a Danner Acadia, but they are comfortable once broken in. They have a pretty clunky sole, but that contributes to them being comfortable. I find that they are excellent in the cold and acceptable in the heat. I only wear them about 25% of the time, though as the weight is a detracting factor for me.
Thanks for the review. I bought my last pair of Danners a couple years ago and won't buy any more.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 01-29-2013 at 14:20..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40   #29
DylanPowell

How much are you looking to spend?

Wesco boots are pretty expensive, but they are made in the USA and you can always get them repaired. Even though they will last longer than you will.
DylanPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58   #30
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

We stopped allowing air-tacs because they rarely lasted past 3 months. They are comfortable, but are built along the same quality lines as pic-and-pay tennis shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Oakley assaults last about 2 years and run $140. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, until I tried the ridge. The ridge air-tacs are like a tennis show with air/gel heel, they rock. Had them about 6 months and they've held up great so far.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58   #31
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
We stopped allowing air-tacs because they rarely lasted past 3 months. They are comfortable, but are built along the same quality lines as pic-and-pay tennis shoes.
Well that's ****ty news, like them so far. Guess ill just wait and see how far they go

Old 01-29-2013, 09:41   #32
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanPowell View Post

Wesco boots are pretty expensive, but they are made in the USA and you can always get them repaired. Even though they will last longer than you will.
Weso makes awesome boots, but no uniform/duty boots that I'm aware of.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52   #33
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanPowell View Post

Between $125-300 id prefer a "resolable/rebuildable" boot if possible as I seldom kill the leather its self but often wear out the soles and insoles...and like my Strikers....I love them they are the most comfortable boot I own..but when the soles are gone...they get trashed cause I cant resole them(even though the leather is still decent/not trashed)...id LOVE to have a nice set of broken in boots that I can just get "rebuilt".

Seems right now im running into most of the boots on the market except Danners stitchdowns are "throw aways" wear till sole is gone..spend another $200 on a pair..id love to just send them in for resoling for 1/2 that cost.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56   #34
CBennett

Oh and i checked out Wesco and I kinda ran into the same thing Agent did I saw nice boots but most were regular old "work" boots or linesman boots or such I didnt see any real ones Id be able to wear for "duty boots"...give me a link if im missing something.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03   #35
CBennett

I had asked you guys mostly because Ive been dismayed at so many boots I figured in the $200+ range would have been rebuildable and not just "throw aways" at least resolable..and im finding that NOT to be true..heck many of the $250 ones are still just throw away types(except danners)..and that surprised me a bit I guess. I just expected at the $200+ mark people would be expecting resolable/rebuildable types..thus there would have been more available. Normally I get the throw away types and find them to 90% be JUNK bad thin soles, zippers that rip out, stitching that comes undone, non waterproof, soles that come unglued, or just simply uncomfortable these included(Magnums,Converse,Bates,galls branded,Red Wings,) all these I had something within the first year go "wrong"(one of the faults listed) with them..I cant stand getting them anymore so I figured id just gotten a pair on works boot plan of ones I can wear in the summer(new Ballances) but i dont really have another good pair of boots...thi\us im going out and trying to get something decent on my own dime.(as they wont be safety toed and thats what they want at work)

Last edited by CBennett; 01-29-2013 at 11:09..
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45   #36
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
I had asked you guys mostly because Ive been dismayed at so many boots I figured in the $200+ range would have been rebuildable and not just "throw aways" at least resolable..and im finding that NOT to be true..heck many of the $250 ones are still just throw away types(except danners)..and that surprised me a bit I guess. I just expected at the $200+ mark people would be expecting resolable/rebuildable types..thus there would have been more available. Normally I get the throw away types and find them to 90% be JUNK bad thin soles, zippers that rip out, stitching that comes undone, non waterproof, soles that come unglued, or just simply uncomfortable these included(Magnums,Converse,Bates,galls branded,Red Wings,) all these I had something within the first year go "wrong"(one of the faults listed) with them..I cant stand getting them anymore so I figured id just gotten a pair on works boot plan of ones I can wear in the summer(new Ballances) but i dont really have another good pair of boots...thi\us im going out and trying to get something decent on my own dime.(as they wont be safety toed and thats what they want at work)
You don't work in facilities, do you? Those are the only ones they enforce that on at my joint, though I suppose technically everybody should have to because of the sliding door we all have to go through coming in.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 13:03   #37
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Quote:
Oh and does anyone know if Danner still offers a LE discount I seem to see them low end at around $225 or so at places...I wanted to see if Danner had LE discount before I made my mind up though. Was thinking strongly of the Acadias but cant see paying $280+ I can see paying closer to $200 even

Right now the running seems down to:

Rocky Portlands (very Acadia like at 1/2 the price)
Danner Acadias
Meindl

But Im not sure if the Meindls can be rebuilt/resoled and thats really what im looking for in these ones
I picked up my Danner Acadias from Amazon.com for about $235 with free shipping with prime. Then promptly sent them back becuase they were poor fitting.
Old 01-29-2013, 13:08   #38
pal2511

I currently have three pairs of boots.

I found some Danner DFA's on their closeout website for $65, Timberland pro valor boots and Bates goretex lined side zip boots.

The only ones that I am wearing now are the Bates Goretex boots. They seem to fit ok and are not too bad on cushioning but if I walk a lot and its a long day of 12 hours or so my left leg and foot hurts but they may be another underlying problem.

On my Timberlands I had another pair for about a year and towards the end the inner side of both heels was compressed very much, more so on my left foot. I don't know if is a problem with my body (looking into it) or a bad boot. THose are the only pair of boots that have done that. So I wrote out an emali explaining it and they asked for me to send them back. A couple weeks later I got a brand new pair of boots in the mail no questions asked. I didn't have the receipt either. Very good customer service.
Old 01-29-2013, 13:09   #39
pal2511

On a side note I want to try out the Haix boots they look pretty sweet.
Old 01-29-2013, 13:12   #40
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
You don't work in facilities, do you? Those are the only ones they enforce that on at my joint, though I suppose technically everybody should have to because of the sliding door we all have to go through coming in.
Nope but unfortunately they took their ability to enforce that and did just that. It Sucks.