Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24   #1
jmsfmtex

Distance for sighting in

I have several handguns, as do most people, and would like to do a rough sighting in. Rather than do a precision sighting I just want to get close to the center of the target. In preserving ammo and not taking into consideration the different manufacturers bullets and calibers I would just like to pick a distance and sight in.

Would you recommend a 10', 20' 30'...?

Commenta are appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35   #2
TH237

I think what you meant was at what distance should you practice. There is no sighting in unless you have a target model with adjustable sights. That being said, if you are talking about self defense I would recommend getting proficient at 20 feet and anchor point at 10 feet. JMO

PS. Even with the cost of ammo, there is no substitute for practice. So shoot all you can.

Last edited by TH237; 01-29-2013 at 10:37..
TH237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42   #3
jmsfmtex

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH237 View Post
I think what you meant was at what distance should you practice. There is no sighting in unless you have a target model with adjustable sights. That being said, if you are talking about self defense I would recommend getting proficient at 20 feet and anchor point at 10 feet. JMO

PS. Even with the cost of ammo, there is no substitute for practice. So shoot all you can.
Thank you for your response. I do have to adjust my rear sight before I do a lot of practice or else ammo and time are wasted. I have replaced my rear sight with night sights.

Yes I am looking only at self defense. I would never take a long shot with my gun for many reasons.

I agree that there is no substitute for practice.

What do you mean by "anchor point"?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49   #4
BMiracletx

Well, even if you replaced your rear sight, as long as it is centered you should be within an inch or two of the center at 10 yards. I would say adjust it to hit center at 10-15 yards. I find that a good distance since sometimes it is too hard to see a small bullseye at 25 yards. I shoot mostly 5-15 yards when I practice.

Oh yeah... I know exactly what you are talking about... everytime I switch out my sights my next range trip is with my sight slider to fine tune it... I like to hit dead on... you would be surprised how a few thousandths will move that bullet...

Last edited by BMiracletx; 01-29-2013 at 10:51..
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07   #5
jmsfmtex

Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
Well, even if you replaced your rear sight, as long as it is centered you should be within an inch or two of the center at 10 yards. I would say adjust it to hit center at 10-15 yards. I find that a good distance since sometimes it is too hard to see a small bullseye at 25 yards. I shoot mostly 5-15 yards when I practice.

Oh yeah... I know exactly what you are talking about... everytime I switch out my sights my next range trip is with my sight slider to fine tune it... I like to hit dead on... you would be surprised how a few thousandths will move that bullet...
I wil take your advice. The sights were visually put on by a dealer. I have laser, in the barrel, sighted them in, at 25yds, but have yet to get to the range. As I said I did not want to waste a lot of time so using a good distance will help.

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14   #6
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsfmtex View Post
I wil take your advice. The sights were visually put on by a dealer. I have laser, in the barrel, sighted them in, at 25yds, but have yet to get to the range. As I said I did not want to waste a lot of time so using a good distance will help.

Thanks again.
Good. If the sight looks centered by eyeing it, then you should be within 2 incehs of the center at 7-10 yards. I don't think you will waste ammo... its not like being off the paper when sighting in a new rifle. YOU WILL HIT PAPER... just maybe 1-2 inches off... or heck, most of the time mine is centered!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45   #7
kodiakpb

You still need to shoot and become proficient. Centered sights in the hands of someone who is not proficient will not result in POA/POI due to improper grip, trigger discipline, and/or sight picture.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:35   #8
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
You still need to shoot and become proficient. Centered sights in the hands of someone who is not proficient will not result in POA/POI due to improper grip, trigger discipline, and/or sight picture.
I don't think this was a question of proficiency, although you are correct. Still, POA should be POI for the gun in its users hands. Based on what you wrote, your proficiency is meaningless if the sights are off. Ideally the gun needs to shoot to POA, then the user needs to become proficient enough to get the POI he wants during a stressful situation.

We can argue proficency requirements but the bottom line is that after changing sights, the POI needs to be verified and adjusted so that POA=POI.

Last edited by BMiracletx; 01-29-2013 at 13:35..
Old 01-29-2013, 13:40   #9
kodiakpb

Quote:
I don't think this was a question of proficiency, although you are correct. Still, POA should be POI for the gun in its users hands. Based on what you wrote, your proficiency is meaningless if the sights are off. Ideally the gun needs to shoot to POA, then the user needs to become proficient enough to get the POI he wants during a stressful situation.

We can argue proficency requirements but the bottom line is that after changing sights, the POI needs to be verified and adjusted so that POA=POI.
What I was trying to say is that he needs to go shoot it instead of worrying about micro adjustments (as long as it looks centered) and find out where he is grouping and go from there. Even then, if one is not proficient and is patterning low left...you don't go out and get a shorter front sight and drift the rear sight to the right...you work on your fundamentals.

I think we were just talking past each other.

Last edited by kodiakpb; 01-29-2013 at 13:45..
Old 01-29-2013, 13:46   #10
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
What I was trying to say is that he needs to go shoot it instead of worrying about micro adjustments (as long as it looks centered) and find out where he is grouping and go from there. Even then, if one is not proficient and is grouping low left...you don't go out and get a shorter front sight and drift the rear sight to the right...you work on your fundamentals.

I agree 100%. However, he just changed the rear sight and has not shot it yet. ASSUMING that he is proficient with trigger control, he still needs to get the new sight adjusted correctly.

If he is NOT pproficient and is yanking the trigger and disrupting his sight alignment and all of those things, then I agree. All I am trying to say is even Sevigny would miss if his sights are off.

I think that we are agreeing here, just thinking different. If the sights are mechanically zeroed to POA, then any shooter with proficient skills should be able to hhit close to POA.

I have 19 Glocks and shoot 200-400 rounds per weekend. I think I am proficient. If I ever pick up a Glock and it is shooting right or left, then I adjust the sights. I can pick up any one of mine and hit center.

Last edited by BMiracletx; 01-29-2013 at 13:48..
Old 01-29-2013, 13:47   #11
kodiakpb

Quote:
I agree 100%. However, he just changed the rear sight and has not shot it yet. ASSUMING that he is proficient with trigger control, he still needs to get the new sight adjusted correctly.

If he is NOT pproficient and is yanking the trigger and disrupting his sight alignment and all of those things, then I agree. All I am trying to say is even Sevigny would miss if his sights are off.

I think that we are agreeing here, just thinking different. If the sights are mechanically zeroed to POA, then any shooter with proficient skills should be able to hhit close to POA.
Absolutely
Old 01-29-2013, 13:52   #12
Bren
NRA Life Member

WARNING: inexperienced and moderately experienced shooters often assume, when they don't hit the target, that it is because of their sights. Especially when they shoot a group, but it is off center, say to the low left of center, they assume that the group means they are shooting right and the sights are off. Usually it is because of their hands and changing and adjusting sights won't really help - it will just hide the problem, as long as you always shoot from the same distance.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:54   #13
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

No one distance is correct but I like to train at 3,5,7 and 10 yards. These distances will need no sight or hold adjustments.
I have also shot at other distances up to 25 yards for SD training. I am better at the shorter distances due to eye sight and other medical problems.
Old 01-29-2013, 13:58   #14
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
WARNING: inexperienced and moderately experienced shooters often assume, when they don't hit the target, that it is because of their sights. Especially when they shoot a group, but it is off center, say to the low left of center, they assume that the group means they are shooting right and the sights are off. Usually it is because of their hands and changing and adjusting sights won't really help - it will just hide the problem, as long as you always shoot from the same distance.
Yep... I find if I have too much finger in the trigger guard, I will pull right, if too little finger, then I push left... With the longer trigger pulls you gotta find that sweet spot on the trigger.
Old 01-29-2013, 14:04   #15
M 7

For "service caliber" pistols (meant for SD/CCW) with muzzle velocities of 750-1300 fps, I've always just sighted the gun in for 25 yds.

Sighted-in like that, such a bullet will cross zero at about 10-13 yards (on its way "up" the trajectory) and then once again at the sighting-in range 25 yards (on its way "down" the trajectory) while never being more than about a quarter inch above or below the point of aim over the entire distance being traveled.

Last edited by M 7; 01-29-2013 at 14:06..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:51   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
No one distance is correct but I like to train at 3,5,7 and 10 yards. These distances will need no sight or hold adjustments.
I have also shot at other distances up to 25 yards for SD training. I am better at the shorter distances due to eye sight and other medical problems.

If you are "sighting" in a gun, there are usually two specific, finite distances at which POA=POI.

Glocks are "zeroed" for POA=POI at 25yards, which is also where many (most) ammo manufacturers set the POI for their bullets.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:12   #17
NewportNewsMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post

.....which is also where many (most) ammo manufacturers set the POI for their bullets.
What does that mean? That statement makes my head spin.

Is there something here I am missing? Thanks.
NewportNewsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:24   #18
BMiracletx

Quote:

which is also where many (most) ammo manufacturers set the POI for their bullets.
You didn't see that new ammo being loaded yet? They released it at the shot show... its GPS guided ammo... the ammo manufacture sets the POI of the bullet to always be cranio-ocular for instant CNS failure. One shot one kill is now being guaranteed!

Glock=Perfection
GPSammo= shot Perfection

Old 01-29-2013, 15:44   #19
Leigh

Quote:
Glocks are "zeroed" for POA=POI at 25yards, which is also where many (most) ammo manufacturers set the POI for their bullets.
99.9% of all quality-made handguns are designed to print POA/POI at 25 yards.

This has actually been the "standard" for decades and nothing that is new.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:51   #20
kaech

Op the anwser i think your looking for is,start at 15 feet move out to 21/25 feet. Once you get it pin point there its GTG. Every glock i have has aftermarket nitesites and sometimes a tweak left or right is needed