Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46   #1
jthrelf
Senior Member
 
jthrelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 435
Sig Sauer .22-1911 Anyone?

Anyone own or have experience with these?

I'm interested because I wouldnt mind a fun .22 pistol, and a real 1911 may be out of budget...

I think they look real nice but wouldnt want it to be always failing to feed, eject, etc.
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40   #2
Victoriagotagun
Senior Member
 
Victoriagotagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,177
The GSG-1911 .22 is the same pistol. Cheaper without the SIG roll mark.
__________________
~Victoria~

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 13:20   #3
hdking46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15
22-1911

i dont own sig but do have colt 1911-22 umarex cant say enough good things about it sig is similair to colt but i believe you need allen wrench to take down, ( i loose things ) so i decided on colt no matter which you choose you will enjoy shooting 22 in 1911 gun ....
hdking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12   #4
ARP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 561
I own a GSG version

It sometimes can be a bit finicky with ammo. I have not shot enough CCI to make a determination but never had a FTE with that ammo. Most of the ammo I have shot is Federal match grade 325 per box. Possibly also shot some Win M22 as well as I run that in the Sig 522 rifle. Have had a failure to feed on the second round, still trying to determine if the cause is ammo, crud build up or mag or combination. I have the mags numbered so I'm just trying to see if a pattern develops or not. You have to keep reminding yourself, it is a .22lr and if you read up enough on the subject you will find it as a common complaint with virtually all .22lr is sometimes inconsistency with ammo. My instance could be a case of my gun liking CCI far better than what I have fed it so far. And take what you read under advisement and apply to your own personal experience, not gospel truth.

Before I bought I watched a youtube video of a person disassembling a GSG 1911 .22lr. No commentary. You use an allen wrench to take out one smallish allen screw and the rest of the process is pushing and pulling apart pieces. Upon reassembly I think the 2 things that new owners will make a mistake in getting the recoil spring in the right direction (see owners manual) and putting the one pin back in the right direction so it can not back out and be lost. Watching that video and committing it to memory or review often certainly helps.

Finish will wear off fairly easy on the corners and edges. Mine is a practice gun so not too concerned with that, might refinish it in the future as a hobby project. Sights are a bit cheesy, novak type dovetail in the front can be replaced thru Dawson with CF, GSG/ATI supplies several replacement sizes of sights with the parts bag, I ended up liking the sight that came on the gun. Rear sight is adjustable, also dovetailed.

Overall I like shooting the gun and it has helped as I develop skills with handguns in general. Cheap to shoot, easy to maintain. If it worked 100% of the time I'd give it a 5* rating, I just may need to refinish in the future.

PS: just spent a little time over on youtube and found a fairly detailed disortation on cleaning lubing and tuning a GSG1911 .22lr so that it shoots ANY ammo it is fed in the .22lr world. The problem appears to be the paint used to finish. After shooting about 500 rounds or so, wear marks can be seen on the slide rails and the slide and barrel, a sign of wearing in. The guy in the vid explains that the paint needs to be removed and basically smooths out the wear in process and speeds it as it will do so itself over time. The proof he offers is when pulling back the slide it should snap back into full breach (closed) without any gap showing. Sandpaper off the paint at all wear marks, clean lube shoot 50 rounds, disassemble, sand if more wear marks are showing or you still have FTE/FTL problems, clean, lube 50 more or just work the slide by hand and then clean. I checked mine and yes I have this problem so I will be tuning mine here this week. The guy was a bit long winded but very informative and thorough.

Last edited by ARP; 01-24-2013 at 10:45..
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:21   #5
ARP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 561
Just finished the tuning process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
It sometimes can be a bit finicky with ammo. I have not shot enough CCI to make a determination but never had a FTE with that ammo. Most of the ammo I have shot is Federal match grade 325 per box. Possibly also shot some Win M22 as well as I run that in the Sig 522 rifle. Have had a failure to feed on the second round, still trying to determine if the cause is ammo, crud build up or mag or combination. I have the mags numbered so I'm just trying to see if a pattern develops or not. You have to keep reminding yourself, it is a .22lr and if you read up enough on the subject you will find it as a common complaint with virtually all .22lr is sometimes inconsistency with ammo. My instance could be a case of my gun liking CCI far better than what I have fed it so far. And take what you read under advisement and apply to your own personal experience, not gospel truth.

Before I bought I watched a youtube video of a person disassembling a GSG 1911 .22lr. No commentary. You use an allen wrench to take out one smallish allen screw and the rest of the process is pushing and pulling apart pieces. Upon reassembly I think the 2 things that new owners will make a mistake in getting the recoil spring in the right direction (see owners manual) and putting the one pin back in the right direction so it can not back out and be lost. Watching that video and committing it to memory or review often certainly helps.

Finish will wear off fairly easy on the corners and edges. Mine is a practice gun so not too concerned with that, might refinish it in the future as a hobby project. Sights are a bit cheesy, novak type dovetail in the front can be replaced thru Dawson with CF, GSG/ATI supplies several replacement sizes of sights with the parts bag, I ended up liking the sight that came on the gun. Rear sight is adjustable, also dovetailed.

Overall I like shooting the gun and it has helped as I develop skills with handguns in general. Cheap to shoot, easy to maintain. If it worked 100% of the time I'd give it a 5* rating, I just may need to refinish in the future.

PS: just spent a little time over on youtube and found a fairly detailed disortation on cleaning lubing and tuning a GSG1911 .22lr so that it shoots ANY ammo it is fed in the .22lr world. The problem appears to be the paint used to finish. After shooting about 500 rounds or so, wear marks can be seen on the slide rails and the slide and barrel, a sign of wearing in. The guy in the vid explains that the paint needs to be removed and basically smooths out the wear in process and speeds it as it will do so itself over time. The proof he offers is when pulling back the slide it should snap back into full breach (closed) without any gap showing. Sandpaper off the paint at all wear marks, clean lube shoot 50 rounds, disassemble, sand if more wear marks are showing or you still have FTE/FTL problems, clean, lube 50 more or just work the slide by hand and then clean. I checked mine and yes I have this problem so I will be tuning mine here this week. The guy was a bit long winded but very informative and thorough.

I used I think 180? 220? grit paper in a detail mouse sander, clamped the slide into my workmate with a microfiber cloth around the slide and went at it with the sander. It made quick work of the paint (slide is aluminum) so I cleaned up the residue that was the paint and rough stuff from the sandpaper combined. Then clamped the frame into the workmate and sanded the tops and sides of the rails, cleaned out the residue and mated the slide and frame w/o any of the guts inside and worked it back and forth a few hundred times, took apart cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. When I pull back the slide from a distance of about 1/4" to 1/8", just when I can feel the slide getting under some tension and release, it snaps back to full breach like it is supposed to. I'll be interested to see how the performance reacts on it's next trip to the range. I'm really hoping for 100% operation with no FTF problems. And I'll report back.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:02   #6
jthrelf
Senior Member
 
jthrelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 435
sounds good ARP! thanks for the update... keep us posted

handled one at the LGS today and liked it! not sure if i want a target pistol or a G26 for another CCW option though... got some time to decide before tax refund time
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:43   #7
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 91,395
The Sig/GSG model is probably the best rimfire 1911 lookalike on the market.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:32   #8
ARP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 561
Others will scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The Sig/GSG model is probably the best rimfire 1911 lookalike on the market.
Colt. I could not justify spending more than I wanted on a gun that I might or might not like. It was my intro to the 1911 platform. The slide is not steel and neither is the frame. But the weight is about that of a .45 1911 and in theory 80% of the parts are interchangeable to make it shoot .45acp meaning you could reverse engineer it to shoot that. Would probably cost you as much as just buying a RIA though.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:29   #9
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 91,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Colt. I could not justify spending more than I wanted on a gun that I might or might not like. It was my intro to the 1911 platform. The slide is not steel and neither is the frame. But the weight is about that of a .45 1911 and in theory 80% of the parts are interchangeable to make it shoot .45acp meaning you could reverse engineer it to shoot that. Would probably cost you as much as just buying a RIA though.
Yeah, they're built of pot metal.

Sig does not build them.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:45   #10
mattallamerican
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 610
save some money and get a ruger 2245 269,00 dollars and a real gun no pot metal junk
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:27   #11
fork14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 167
Check out cw accessories, he has several upgrades including a performance kit that gets rid of the barrel allen screw. I have one on layaway and can't wait to shoot it. I have a govt and 5.5" bull MK II tricked out but wanted an open site .22 for plinking. The compensator that Chet Whistle makes looks great on that sig .22.
fork14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:31   #12
jakebrake
cracker
 
jakebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 7,915
it's the gsg with a higher pricetag.

bought one for the wife (gsg, that is)

for the money, can't be beat...for the gsg money.
__________________
God made man, Sam Colt made us equal, John Moses Browning made us civilized... freemasons club Number 57

Last edited by jakebrake; 02-10-2013 at 18:31..
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:46.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,230
330 Members
900 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31