SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 20:39   #1
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

G21 breech face indentation.

Has anyone experienced their slide indenting like this?

General Glocking

It appears that the primers are pounding the steel and it is caving in.

I have fired apx. 200 rounds of .460 Rowland from this G21.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 01-28-2013 at 20:41..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:47   #2
yellowhand

Had me worried when I saw yours and went and checked mine.
I too fire 460 thru my 21 and no, no marks on my face at all and I've shot far more than you stated, must be one hell of a load to mark your weapon up like that, wow!
Old 01-28-2013, 21:57   #3
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I have shot Ga Arms 230gr @ 1300fps and Underwood 185gr @ 1500+fps. I haven't had the nerve to shoot any Underwood 230gr. But then, I have to admit, I don't run a comp on my G21. I use an LWD barrel that I cut down to 4.75" with a Sprinco unit set up for a Power Factor of 310. It is quite an experience.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 01-28-2013, 22:02   #4
yobohadi
Peon Trainee

Maybe the slide wasn't hardened correctly, sounds like a call into Glock is in your future.
yobohadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:11   #5
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobohadi View Post
Maybe the slide wasn't hardened correctly, sounds like a call into Glock is in your future.
I would like to contact Glock about this except that firing .460 Rowland from a G21 is completely outside of acceptable for Glock. I wouldn't mind discussing this with one of their engineers, but when I call Glock the only people I get to talk to are the ones that have been programmed to tell you that it has to be your fault.

Old 01-28-2013, 22:13   #6
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobohadi View Post

Rigggghhhhttttt!!

"Hello Glock, I am having problems with my G21 because I am shooting a wild *** wildcat ctg. with pressures in the ionosphere and was wondering if you would honor the warranty?"
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:33   #7
yellowhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
I would like to contact Glock about this except that firing .460 Rowland from a G21 is completely outside of acceptable for Glock. I wouldn't mind discussing this with one of their engineers, but when I call Glock the only people I get to talk to are the ones that have been programmed to tell you that it has to be your fault.

Don't mention 460 Rowland, place factory 45 ACP barrel back into weapon, and ask Glock, "What happened to my Glock? How you going to fix it?"
Don't ask, and sure as hell don't tell
Old 01-28-2013, 22:37   #8
yellowhand

oh, forgot, repeat after me,
I have never fired anything thru my Glock 21 except for factory 45 ACP target loads!
Say it 100 times, before you make the call.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35   #9
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Don't mention 460 Rowland, place factory 45 ACP barrel back into weapon, and ask Glock, "What happened to my Glock? How you going to fix it?"
Don't ask, and sure as hell don't tell
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
oh, forgot, repeat after me,
I have never fired anything thru my Glock 21 except for factory 45 ACP target loads!
Say it 100 times, before you make the call.

Fraud is a crime.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39   #10
yellowhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Fraud is a crime.
yes it is!
Old 01-29-2013, 14:03   #11
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Fraud is a crime.
Oh its just a little white lie... if that was a crime then all of our politicians would be locked up...
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:47   #12
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
Has anyone experienced their slide indenting like this?

General Glocking

It appears that the primers are pounding the steel and it is caving in.

I have fired apx. 200 rounds of .460 Rowland from this G21.
I am still hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this problem. I don't know if this is serious or minor.

Old 01-29-2013, 17:53   #13
Catshooter

Does it actually dish inwards as much as it appears in the photo? I'd put a straight edge on it.

If it is dishing as much as it looks like, then yes Houston, I'd say you have a problem. That area of the slide is where all of the case head thrust is taking place during firing. That are of the slide is cut away and isn't all that thick and there are thousands of pounds of force applied there with each firing.

If it were mine, (I'm a gunsmith) and it really is as dished as it looks then I would call Glock and send it in for replacement. I would be honest and tell them what I've been doing. If that much damage has occured there where you can see it, is there damage where you can't? The whole pistol needs to be gone over by the factory, not a Glock Armorer. If you tell them the truth then they can do a better job of exaimination, now can't they.

Worst case is you get some small parts back, buy a new G21 and move on. Better that than the slide ending up embedded in your forehead.

Cat

Last edited by Catshooter; 01-29-2013 at 17:54..
Catshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:57   #14
WinterWizard

So you fired a cartridge in your Glock that it is not chambered for and produces about twice as much energy as .45 acp, and now your Glock is damaged, and you are complaining why?
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 00:33   #15
llcoolj_2222

It is serious.
Breech face must be mirror flat. no cracks, dings, dishisngs or any other inperfection.
The breech face together with the chamber deals with the highest pressure peak when firing your gun so it shouldn't have any weakness points or fault lines.
Also, mind that in glocks the breech face is about 1mm thin, and in case of failure, there is good chance of the FP flying into your face.
llcoolj_2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38   #16
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
Does it actually dish inwards as much as it appears in the photo? I'd put a straight edge on it.

If it is dishing as much as it looks like, then yes Houston, I'd say you have a problem. That area of the slide is where all of the case head thrust is taking place during firing. That are of the slide is cut away and isn't all that thick and there are thousands of pounds of force applied there with each firing.

If it were mine, (I'm a gunsmith) and it really is as dished as it looks then I would call Glock and send it in for replacement. I would be honest and tell them what I've been doing. If that much damage has occured there where you can see it, is there damage where you can't? The whole pistol needs to be gone over by the factory, not a Glock Armorer. If you tell them the truth then they can do a better job of exaimination, now can't they.

Worst case is you get some small parts back, buy a new G21 and move on. Better that than the slide ending up embedded in your forehead.

Cat
That's the best advice yet. Don't see why brass and aluminum primers would do that though. I had a 23 years back that had deep pits in the breechface shooting about 4K rds. of factory non-corosive ammo. They gave me a new pistol. LWD makes solid long slide 21's that are heavy as hell and threaded 6" barrels. Seems that would work better for 460 anyway. I would'nt lie. Despite the fact it really is fraud, they may just read GT once in a while, especially threads like this one. Good luck and IMO, don't shoot anything from that slide until it get's checked out.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54   #17
roger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
So you fired a cartridge in your Glock that it is not chambered for and produces about twice as much energy as .45 acp, and now your Glock is damaged, and you are complaining why?
I must have missed the complaining part. I just saw someone post honestly what they did and asking if anyone has seen it.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25   #18
JBS

It would be interesting to see what the primer of a fired case looks like. Is the fired primer a complete pancake? Completely flush with the primer pocket rim?
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09   #19
Catshooter

Be interesting to see the fired case head. Is it bowed? Can't tell with just this limited data if the loads are too hot, the heat treatment of the slide incorrect or just what.

What are your loads by the way?

Inquiring minds you know.

Cat
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42   #20
F106 Fan

If it peens far enough, can it trap the firing pin? That would be an interesting experience. Imagine a mag dump on full auto!

That slide is seriously hosed!

Richard