Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 13:27   #41
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2511 View Post
I currently have three pairs of boots.

I found some Danner DFA's on their closeout website for $65, Timberland pro valor boots and Bates goretex lined side zip boots.

The only ones that I am wearing now are the Bates Goretex boots. They seem to fit ok and are not too bad on cushioning but if I walk a lot and its a long day of 12 hours or so my left leg and foot hurts but they may be another underlying problem.

On my Timberlands I had another pair for about a year and towards the end the inner side of both heels was compressed very much, more so on my left foot. I don't know if is a problem with my body (looking into it) or a bad boot. THose are the only pair of boots that have done that. So I wrote out an emali explaining it and they asked for me to send them back. A couple weeks later I got a brand new pair of boots in the mail no questions asked. I didn't have the receipt either. Very good customer service.

Ive got like 4:
the Danner Strikers side zip...best boot I own waterproof, good soles, comfortable.

The Cochran(not the jump boot style but i cant remember their name) boots which are also side zip..a bit clunky but comfortable and 100% waterproof up to the tops.

511 which are the higher ones that wont clear the detector they just mostly sit but they had rather thin soles and were just Meh for comfort.

New Ballance 6" which are fine but are kinda more to me "summer/warm weather" boots not waterproof they will be my May-Sept type boots. these are comfortable and go through the detectors
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:05   #42
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
Nope but unfortunately they took their ability to enforce that and did just that. It Sucks.
I doubt they would do that here. Then all the unit team would have to wear steel toes to get to their offices, and that just wouldn't do, lol.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37   #43
IrishSheepdog54

I've gone through a LOT of boots. Trial and error. Maybe about 8 different pairs, not including UA tactical runners and my oxfords. I settled on two different pairs: 5.11 Taclite for summer, and Bates Durashocks Goretex for winter. Both have held up nicely, especially the Bates. I got rid of my Acadias and went with the Bates after talking with a Trooper. Good boot, 1/3 the cost. Also, it's warm, waterproof, and much lighter than the Acadia. I believe they have a fiberglass shank. Not sure. I know the 5.11s do. The Taclites are the lightest, most comfortable boots I've owned, including the UA Valtez boots. Those UA boots were way too flimsy and were awful on any kind of wet surface.
IrishSheepdog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:48   #44
CBennett

Thanks guys im currently looking at/into a pair of Danner patrols or Acadias(not really worried about the weight) as they seem to meet all my criterias(and I dont know if any of the others I mentioned do..which are comfortable,waterproof,good quality and preferably resolable) I am just trying to figure out if I can get htem at the LE discount through work on my dime by using the LE discount(they said my agency would have to use thier "official" card to buy them for me to get the danner direct LE discount) I dont know if they will do this or not..or if im on my own(most likely) and just looking for best price online..strangely enough online i can find the acadias almost $30-45 chepaer than the Partols(which are just seemingly lower cut Acadiads) which youd think would be cheaper.
Old 01-30-2013, 17:02   #45
Rinspeed
JAFO

With free shipping and free return shipping, for an exchange, it's almost worth it to me to buy direct from Danner.

I would give anything if Danner would make a 8" boot as light and comfortable as the Strikers, in Portland with stitchdown construction. Probably too much to ask.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 17:10   #46
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

I've had good luck with my Rocky's. I've been wearing the same pair of Rocky Portland boots for the past 6 years. I have had them resoled though. They had a goodyear welt so you can replace the soles when they wear out. The only bad news is that Rocky is not making them in all leather anymore. Mine are all leather and they are comfortable year round. The ones they are selling now have nylon uppers. I like the Rocky Portland model because the tops are cut flat, they don't drop down in the back. We blouse our pants with our class c field uniforms to it makes it easier to keep the pant bottoms even with the top of the boots. The nylon ones may be as good as the leather...but I prefer the leather. I just have to stretch them out for another 20 months then I can retire them along with me.

Cop Talk
Old 01-30-2013, 18:06   #47
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Looking at them, it doesn't appear they are US made like the Acadias are. Even the S2Vs are Berry Compliant.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:17   #48
CBennett

though I did find a decent deal on Lowa Super Camps for around the same price as te Danners they are also resolable.
Old 01-30-2013, 20:39   #49
Cav

I have bought and tried a lot of boots over the years for Military and Law Enforcement use. My favorite boots by far are the Rocky S2V's in desert tan or black leather. They are not cold weather or water proof. They are duty boots. They hold up well, and fit my feet well, along with supporting heavy gear/being on my feet. They dry out well, fit snug (not tight, but as snug as you want to make them), and hold up well to daily use.
Old 01-30-2013, 22:43   #50
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
They are not cold weather or water proof.
They may have to be my summer boots as that is sort of important in these parts.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:46   #51
Rinspeed
JAFO

Just as an FYI Danner is having a pretty good sale in the Breakroom. I just picked up another pair of their Rain Forest boots for $190. A little heavy for a patrol type boot but they are normally $370. My other ones are 7 or 8 years old and they still look great.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Old 01-31-2013, 16:50   #52
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Just as an FYI Danner is having a pretty good sale in the Breakroom. I just picked up another pair of their Rain Forest boots for $190. A little heavy for a patrol type boot but they are normally $370. My other ones are 7 or 8 years old and they still look great.
Yeah I get those also worst part is its either always seemingly sold out of my size or a BROWN hiking boot lol. Ive been getting the break room emails for oh about a year now and I only missed 1 good shot at a decent boot they had the Acadias in a 10.5(probably a half sixe too big normally wear a 10 BUT I could wear heavier socks or put a insole in them) at $189 but i messed around looking for reviews on them(to see how they ran size wise) and when i went back the 10.5 was gone lol...
Old 01-31-2013, 16:54   #53
CBennett

Well I guess I can post a review in a bit but I went with the Lowa Super Camp in a size 10 got it for $217. I was going to go danner but today when I pulled them up in a size 10 best price I could find was in the $260 range and of course a few days ago they were in the $229 range...figures id miss them...but from the reviews id seen of the Super Camps they ran true to size and were a decent boot..plus at $217 quite a deal also as I could not find one anywhere else for under $300

I ALMOST went with a Kenetrek which was black and on their sale part of the site...if anyone wanted a good rebuildable boot they were going for $230 BUT the ONLY reason i didnt nab it was 200 gram thinsulate I had no need for thinsulate as I planed to rotate these all 4 seasons depending on job and whats needed at the time.
Old 01-31-2013, 16:59   #54
Rinspeed
JAFO

I didn't check the reviews but they had a few of the China GTXs for $80. I know what you mean about how limited they are but I was quite surprised how many sizes they had of the RFs. I'm sure they all go pretty fast. I always have ordered Danners in EE and not been disappointed.

Old 01-31-2013, 17:12   #55
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Its off subject but does anyone know how to make a boot that's a bit too wide a bit tighter. My bates are so wide on the top part from my skinney legs the laces are eyelet to eyelet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-31-2013, 17:30   #56
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2511 View Post
Its off subject but does anyone know how to make a boot that's a bit too wide a bit tighter. My bates are so wide on the top part from my skinney legs the laces are eyelet to eyelet

Maybe it's time to hit the gym.

Old 01-31-2013, 22:10   #57
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Maybe it's time to hit the gym.
Maybe

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45   #58
merlynusn

I just picked up a pair of the Danner Stryker II for $45 after using my boot voucher.

I have a couple pairs of boots just sitting in boxes unopened because they are just not as good as the Danners. Even though I have to still put inserts into them. But thats the same with just about any boot since none of them are comfortable to me.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:46   #59
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
I just picked up a pair of the Danner Stryker II for $45 after using my boot voucher.

I have a couple pairs of boots just sitting in boxes unopened because they are just not as good as the Danners. Even though I have to still put inserts into them. But thats the same with just about any boot since none of them are comfortable to me.
I think im gonna do the same thing next time(probably sometime mid summer) I love my strikers I dont know what they changed in the striker II's(but just from looking at them I do notice differences) I hope its better differences not cutbacks..I think I have a early version of the original strikers..when they replaced(for free) my hiker style GTX Danners they said here try this new boot that came out for free..and they sent me the Strikers...like wearing a slipper (with a composite safety toe) its just THAT comfortable..if they were resolable(their ONLY drawback IMO) I dont know if id ever need another boot.
Old 02-01-2013, 16:32   #60
Rinspeed
JAFO

I miss my original Strikers a bunch, most comfortable boot I've ever worn by far. Check out the reviews on the new ones, they don't look very good if I remember right.