Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 13:32   #61
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I find the Luger 08 prettier.
I'm not sure I agree, but I wouldn't argue with you either. The Luger is certainly a pretty handgun.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:45   #62
bac1023

Quote:
I think BAC you have some other 9mms that should shoot just as good, of not better.
Not many

In fact, I don't shoot any of them better. A couple maybe just as good. This Pardini would be one of them.

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-29-2013, 15:08   #63
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Wow, come on man.

First off, I said "one of the best", not THE best.

Also, I already explained in which way I felt it was one of the best. I'm talking build quality, fit and finish, and accuracy. I own Glocks and plenty of other polymers, but abuse tests mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm just not that "tacticool", I guess. I'm old school and, for me, the 952 will always be one of the best 9mms (or pistols of any caliber, for that matter) on the planet. Period.

Have you ever shot one?
It wasn't a slam against you as much as it is a slam against every owner of anything.

I have heard people talk about the best gun and it is their 1911, or BHP, or Glock or ......

Just post "Best car" in the General GT area. You will hear about everything from GTO to Trucks. What ever they have is their favourite. OR the car they just can't afford is the greatest.

Best is in the eye of the beholder. (Unless you qualify how it will be used.)
Old 01-29-2013, 15:12   #64
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree, but I wouldn't argue with you either. The Luger is certainly a pretty handgun.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
I love the 08. Probably because I had an opportunity to shoot one many years ago and it was like a laser. I pointed it and hit what I aimed at. It was offered to me, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

Now days I spend my money on items that will be banned in my lifetime.
Old 01-29-2013, 15:19   #65
bac1023

Quote:
It wasn't a slam against you as much as it is a slam against every owner of anything.

I have heard people talk about the best gun and it is their 1911, or BHP, or Glock or ......

Just post "Best car" in the General GT area. You will hear about everything from GTO to Trucks. What ever they have is their favourite. OR the car they just can't afford is the greatest.

I hear what you're saying. Everyone looks at the best in a different light.

That being said, I did qualify what I was referring to in the first post. I didn't say it was one of the best combat pistols or that it could take the most abuse. I said from a build quality and accuracy standpoint.

In those terms, you would be hard pressed to find a more capable or finer 9mm. There are some equals, in my opinion, but I feel the 952 is one of the best.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-29-2013 at 15:20..
Old 01-29-2013, 15:27   #66
gunsmoke92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
If it isn't a G17 or a BHP then it is not one of the best.
Been at the koolaid again, haven't you.

Bac, that is a thing of beauty. I truly wish S&W had continued the manufacture of the metal 2nd and third gen guns. Now we live in the world of plastic fantastics.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92, The Big Dawg club #1992
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:26   #67
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke92 View Post
Bac, that is a thing of beauty. I truly wish S&W had continued the manufacture of the metal 2nd and third gen guns. Now we live in the world of plastic fantastics.
Thanks

Yeah, its all about polymer these days.

Old 01-29-2013, 22:15   #68
PzGren

Quote:

While I agree that the recurring topic of "best handgun", usually later limited by an insanely low budget, is coming up too often, I think you do BAC injustice.

He clearly stated "one of the best 9mm handguns" and gave his reasons why he chose this particular pistol to be among the top guns in this group.

S&W semi autos have never been my cup of tea and I also find many other semi autos more appealing to the eye but then, as you said and we all agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They make gun grips and even condoms in neon colours these days...
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:50   #69
Ceapea

I had a chance to buy a new 952-2, 6" a few years back for $1800. Presentation box (metal) and all. A friend of mine knows the gun dept. manager at a Gander Mtn., and ordered one (with no deposit). When it came in, the gun/grip was too large for my friend's hand...he is about 5' 5" tall and has small hands. He couldn't/wouldn't buy it.
He wanted me to buy it in the worst way to keep him from looking bad.
And I would have except for two things. First, I'm a lefty, and I called S&W to ask if it could have an ambi safety fitted, by them or any gunsmith. They said no! I still don't know that it couldn't, but that was that. Second, and this is the biggest reason. The stocks that came on that gun were the ugliest pieces of wood I ever seen on a gun, not to mention a $2400 gun (original selling price). It looked as if someone shaved off a chunk of 2x4 and fit it to the gun. Really, light wood, like cheap pine, no grain, nothing. Just plain and ugly wood. I asked S&W if they would trade out the grips and wondered to myself how the gun ever got out of the Performance Center looking so terribly plain.
No deal from Smith. So I passed. That gun sat in their display case for 4 years, with an asking price of $2400. I'm sure it was handled a bunch and dry fired a thousand times. But, I found out that the sold it several months back, July I think.
So while some people say a Glock feels like a 2x4 in their hand, I know of a very expensive gun out there wearing a 2x4.
BAC, your's is very nice!! Beautiful, even!

Last edited by Ceapea; 01-29-2013 at 22:53..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33   #70
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I had a chance to buy a new 952-2, 6" a few years back for $1800. Presentation box (metal) and all. A friend of mine knows the gun dept. manager at a Gander Mtn., and ordered one (with no deposit). When it came in, the gun/grip was too large for my friend's hand...he is about 5' 5" tall and has small hands. He couldn't/wouldn't buy it.
He wanted me to buy it in the worst way to keep him from looking bad.
And I would have except for two things. First, I'm a lefty, and I called S&W to ask if it could have an ambi safety fitted, by them or any gunsmith. They said no! I still don't know that it couldn't, but that was that. Second, and this is the biggest reason. The stocks that came on that gun were the ugliest pieces of wood I ever seen on a gun, not to mention a $2400 gun (original selling price). It looked as if someone shaved off a chunk of 2x4 and fit it to the gun. Really, light wood, like cheap pine, no grain, nothing. Just plain and ugly wood. I asked S&W if they would trade out the grips and wondered to myself how the gun ever got out of the Performance Center looking so terribly plain.
No deal from Smith. So I passed. That gun sat in their display case for 4 years, with an asking price of $2400. I'm sure it was handled a bunch and dry fired a thousand times. But, I found out that the sold it several months back, July I think.
So while some people say a Glock feels like a 2x4 in their hand, I know of a very expensive gun out there wearing a 2x4.
BAC, your's is very nice!! Beautiful, even!
Thanks

As for the Gander Mountain gun, I'm not sure who made the grips for S&W, but they must have had some ugly wood sitting around. I find the grips on mine to be among the nicest wood grips I own.

As for the ambi safety, it's not going to happen. That is akin to calling Sig in Switzerland back in the day and asking them to put an ambi safety on a P210. These aren't custom 1911s that you can order however you want. These are iconic target guns built one way and one way only.

As I told a friend of mine years ago who is a lefty, don't let that stop you from buying a 952. It's not s carry gun and the safety doesn't lock the hammer anyway. It simply blocks the firing pin.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-30-2013 at 07:52..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04   #71
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
If it isn't a G17 or a BHP then it is not one of the best.
Oh good grief. How bad is that? BHP's are fine guns no doubt. The Glock 17 is a good gun also, and it is a popular all around gun for sure, but saying it's one of the best 9mm's every built ,when so many others can fill the same roll with no problems is a bit much.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:28   #72
Ceapea

Quote:
Thanks

As for the Gander Mountain gun, I'm not sure who made the grips for S&W, but they must have had some ugly wood sitting around. I find the grips on mine to be among the nicest wood grips I own.

As for the ambi safety, it's not going to happen. That is akin to calling Sig in Switzerland back in the day and asking them to put an ambi safety on a P210. These aren't custom 1911s that you can order however you want. These are iconic target guns built one way and one way only.

As I told a friend of mine years ago who is a lefty, don't let that stop you from buying a 952. It's not s carry gun and the safety doesn't lock the hammer anyway. It simply blocks the firing pin.
Yeah, if it weren't for the ugly grips/stocks, I was really considering buying it. I have been around non-ambi 1911's for years and learned to manipulate it/them safely.
It was just in the past few months that I bought a 1911 with an ambi, my first one personally. So it really came down to the wood. Looking back, I should have bought it and had custom stocks made. $1800 for a brand new, in box 952, wasn't all that bad.
Oh well...live and learn.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:21   #73
bac1023

Yeah, especially since the longslide model retailed for $200 or so more than the standard version...

Old 01-30-2013, 16:00   #74
crazymoose
Nonentity

I can't fault Smith for following the money, but it's sad that they gave up on craftsmanship to focus on the production of mediocre plastic guns.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 16:02   #75
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
I can't fault Smith for following the money, but it's sad that they gave up on craftsmanship to focus on the production of mediocre plastic guns.
Yep

They're not alone in doing that though....

Old 02-04-2013, 14:23   #76
Reaver2218

Send a message via Skype™ to Reaver2218
my first gun was a S&W 5906 police trade in and that thing was a beast it shot anything I put through it and was accurate. and is to this day still considered to be one of the best 9mm out there.
Reaver2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:24   #77
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2218 View Post
my first gun was a S&W 5906 police trade in and that thing was a beast it shot anything I put through it and was accurate. and is to this day still considered to be one of the best 9mm out there.
The 3rd gen Smiths are solid guns for sure. I've got a few myself.

That said, the 952 is a different animal.